Beef | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Beef

If we have a bunch of people coming over I will pick up a whole striploin or tenderloin and chop it up. Extra meat gets vacuum packed and into the freezer. It comes out over the next few months. It makes for an expensive bill now but cheaper bills over the next few months. Tenderloin chain makes delicious hamburgers. I prefer the head to the main body of the tenderloin.

What we do as well but mostly chicken now

Actually been a while since we cooked steaks now that I think about it. Tonight is wing night as the kids love it (the fries).

Since we're talking about beef...how does one get their hands on a fresh cow like the one described? I have considered it, but not sure where to start looking outside of driving toward Wasaga / Kitchener area and look for signs along the side of the road.

I'm tempted to give hunting a try and justify to my wife as 'saving' money on food and have better meat for the family....same as 'saving gas' with a motorcycle.

Actually been a while since we cooked steaks now that I think about it. Tonight is wing night as the kids love it (the fries).

Since we're talking about beef...how does one get their hands on a fresh cow like the one described? I have considered it, but not sure where to start looking outside of driving toward Wasaga / Kitchener area and look for signs along the side of the road.

I'm tempted to give hunting a try and justify to my wife as 'saving' money on food and have better meat for the family....same as 'saving gas' with a motorcycle.
Hunting for meat is the same as fishing for fish. Expect to spend easily an order of magnitude more for the protein than if you bought it (often two orders of magnitude).

You can buy cows from farmers. Alternatively, there are companies that let you buy a quarter or half cow. It will cost you a lot more than from the farmer/butcher but many offer financing (eg if your monthly beef budget was $120, they drop off a years worth of beef and you give them $120 a month). My brother does this. I think it's a stupid idea. Now you have thousands in meat in your freezer. Without a backup generator, it is all at risk. Some of the meat you won't like (eg the burgers he got are meh). By the time you are done, some has been in the freezer for a year.

If we have a bunch of people coming over I will pick up a whole striploin or tenderloin and chop it up. Extra meat gets vacuum packed and into the freezer. It comes out over the next few months. It makes for an expensive bill now but cheaper bills over the next few months. Tenderloin chain makes delicious hamburgers. I prefer the head to the main body of the tenderloin.
Tenderloin "makes" stew.

Since we're talking about beef...how does one get their hands on a fresh cow like the one described?
Kijiji. There's an ad floating about........buy ½, or hind quarter, or some amt, and they give you a new freezer for free to keep it in.
I've been searching "freezers", but I can't stand eating previously frozen meat.

Beef and Bison. Just past Cambridge.

I grew up on a farm , we ate our 4H projects LOL. Dont get suckered into buying a 1/4 or 1/2 beef. Its graded but poorly , you get some really awful cuts and some things you have to invent a use for.
Buying a cow and sending to an abatiour (sp? the guy that kills and cuts it up) is ok if you KNOW the farmer and what he's growing and the KNOW the butcher since its a sketchy industry itself . I really dont think you can do better than the volume Costco is running.

Hunting to save a buck , yeah, I've not gone in decades but I think the last moose we shot was about $300.00 lb , 30 yrs ago.

My neighbor sells cows he may let you hunt your own if you ask nice.

Sent using a thumb maybe 2

FunFact , you can shoot and butcher your own deer or moose, and you can butcher your own hog or cow , but only for YOUR consumption. All the folks from the middle east that like to be in on the lamb slaughter following religious process , nope , not actually allowed on the farm. Needs to go through an actual abatiour .
Shoot a cow and it has to get to an actual butcher , who will not likely let you in the door with, it since it has to be killed by an authorized cow killer guy.
so many guidelines

I grew up on a farm , we ate our 4H projects LOL. Dont get suckered into buying a 1/4 or 1/2 beef. Its graded but poorly , you get some really awful cuts and some things you have to invent a use for.
Buying a cow and sending to an abatiour (sp? the guy that kills and cuts it up) is ok if you KNOW the farmer and what he's growing and the KNOW the butcher since its a sketchy industry itself . I really dont think you can do better than the volume Costco is running.

Hunting to save a buck , yeah, I've not gone in decades but I think the last moose we shot was about $300.00 lb , 30 yrs ago.
$100,000+ for a boat to catch a 5 pound fish.

Ages ago I went together with my F-I-L and we each got a side of beef. He knew both the farmer and butcher and they both knew their stuff. There's a big difference between on the hoof and on the plate pricing.

My brother-in-law is a farmer, he used to raise grass & grain-fed heifers. I split a cow with him once -- blech -- ended up feeding most of it to my dog. From what I understand the curing process makes the beef, I think the cow we had butchered was cut and wrapped while still warm, it was tough and the meat cooked up grey. He raises chickens now, they are great.

Beef is really expensive today, I'm not interested in saving a buck to get cheap beef. Poultry and pork seems the same no matter where you get it -- that can be about price. Costco beef has proved to be consistently excellent for me, I get my steaks and roasts from them exclusively.

My kid always has a freezer full of fish and game. He visits every 2 mos leaving us a cooler full. He saves a bit on food by hunting, his advantage is the fish and game are walking distance from his house.

1642191530105.png

My brother-in-law is a farmer, he used to raise grass & grain-fed heifers. I split a cow with him once -- blech -- ended up feeding most of it to my dog. From what I understand the curing process makes the beef, I think the cow we had butchered was cut and wrapped while still warm, it was tough and the meat cooked up grey. He raises chickens now, they are great.

Beef is really expensive today, I'm not interested in saving a buck to get cheap beef. Poultry and pork seems the same no matter where you get it -- that can be about price. Costco beef has proved to be consistently excellent for me, I get my steaks and roasts from them exclusively.

My kid always has a freezer full of fish and game. He visits every 2 mos leaving us a cooler full. He saves a bit on food by hunting, his advantage is the fish and game are walking distance from his house.

View attachment 52915
When my brother was in Panama he said the procedure was to kill a cow, gut and skin it, then basically they might as well have shoved it through a wood chipper. Everything was stew beef.

FunFact , you can shoot and butcher your own deer or moose, and you can butcher your own hog or cow , but only for YOUR consumption. All the folks from the middle east that like to be in on the lamb slaughter following religious process , nope , not actually allowed on the farm. Needs to go through an actual abatiour .
Shoot a cow and it has to get to an actual butcher , who will not likely let you in the door with, it since it has to be killed by an authorized cow killer guy.
so many guidelines
Killing is regularly done on sheep and goat farms by holy men. I don't know if it's legal but I know it's common on animal farms close to the GTA.

My late FIL was a cattle rancher (and oil) in SK. He would send us some cuts now and then. I think he fed the cattle kevlar....
Anyone else hear "we're having steak for supper" and then finding out it's round steak. Like a thigh master for the jaw.

Family next door, mother was making banana loaf and the younger daughter threw some cut up elastic bands into the mix when no one was looking. Dad packs his lunch the next day, puts in an extra piece for a co worker. It took a while to catch on.

Anyone else hear "we're having steak for supper" and then finding out it's round steak. Like a thigh master for the jaw.

Family next door, mother was making banana loaf and the younger daughter threw some cut up elastic bands into the mix when no one was looking. Dad packs his lunch the next day, puts in an extra piece for a co worker. It took a while to catch on.
I remember being in Poland a few years ago for vacation. My cousin was super excited to take me to the best steak place in town. Sign me up!

That was not steak. More schnitzel than anything. I didn't have the heart to tell him, but it was damn good for whatever the hell it was.

I remember being in Poland a few years ago for vacation. My cousin was super excited to take me to the best steak place in town. Sign me up!

That was not steak. More schnitzel than anything. I didn't have the heart to tell him, but it was damn good for whatever the hell it was.

Similar experience in Central Africa. Our hosts took us to a "a good steak place", the cuts of meat were charred to a crisp.

I prefer my meat rare. But if you eat meat in Africa (except South Africa) that isn't cooked through and through, then you get sick.

Just one of those cultural things you gotta get used to.

Very exotic kinds of meat though - kudu, oryx, springbok, ostrich. Very tasty!

Similar experience in Central Africa. Our hosts took us to a "a good steak place", the cuts of meat were charred to a crisp.

I prefer my meat rare. But if you eat meat in Africa (except South Africa) that isn't cooked through and through, then you get sick.

Just one of those cultural things you gotta get used to.

Very exotic kinds of meat though - kudu, oryx, springbok, ostrich. Very tasty!
Kenyan steak looks like kenyan cows. Much cheaper than chicken though.

4241.jpg

Kenyan steak looks like kenyan cows. Much cheaper than chicken though.

4241.jpg

Yeah, the west has plenty to teach those poor farmers about raising "beefier" cattle.

Like steroids. And hormones.

And then our supermarkets can teach their stores how to re-dye packaged meats so they remain redder for longer.

Back
Top Bottom