Beef | GTAMotorcycle.com

Beef

nobbie48

Site Supporter
According to the news, Alberta and I assume Canada just got another kick in the head with mad cow disease being found in Alberta beef.

China has banned its import and they are our third largest buyer. Needless to say, after herd culls, droughts, wild fires, oil gluts, covid and who knows what else, 2022 isn't off to a great start. Will other countries follow suit?

Will our animal virus lab in Winnipeg be able to turn the tide?

Will the ineveitable cull result in higher prices for red meat or lower due to uncertainty of the quality? Will pork and chicken take over and result in higher prices there?

I don't know much about mad cow disease but understand that it's a deviation of the animal's protein and can't be cured with a drug. Wild animals get it too, called wasting disease in deer. Humans get Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease leading to dementia and death. Barbequed tofu anyone?

Edit: South Korea and the Philippines have also banned the beef.

Last edited:
It should produce a glut in the Canadian domestic market and drive prices down ? The healthy cows have to go somewhere

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I don't know crap about farming, beef prices or mad cow disease. But if 3 major purchasers stop buying...where do the cows go? Doesn't that just drop demand?

From my cursory reading very quickly this morning, this disease isn't an issue for humans (?) so it may be blown out of proportion? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong in my understanding.

I don't know crap about farming, beef prices or mad cow disease. But if 3 major purchasers stop buying...where do the cows go? Doesn't that just drop demand?

From my cursory reading very quickly this morning, this disease isn't an issue for humans (?) so it may be blown out of proportion? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong in my understanding.
As I understand it, don't eat infected cow brains and don't feed cow brains to other cows. That bar is too high for some people so here we are.

As I understand it, don't eat infected cow brains and don't feed cow brains to other cows. That bar is too high for some people so here we are.
That’s normal mad cow….this is ‘atypical’ and happens spontaneously in 1 in a million cows….

But I haven’t gone further than that article so I take it with a grain of salt.

That’s normal mad cow….this is ‘atypical’ and happens spontaneously in 1 in a million cows….

But I haven’t gone further than that article so I take it with a grain of salt.
Protein is the building block of the body. If you build a house with defective blocks it crumples and falls down. Someone comes along and sees a pile of "Free or cheap bricks", takes them and builds his house. It crumples and falls down.

Supposedly atypical bricks only fail the first time. Hmmm. I'll pay a bit more for new stock.

You can afford beef!?
How bad is it? I don’t actually do much grocery shopping lol

And I don’t think I’ve ever used a coupon for that matter at a grocery store. But I’m not going to chase 50c deals.

I never couponed or even paid attention to flyers . I gotta say once I started building the meals around what was on sale , I think seriously i took 20-30% off the bills .
I’m not buying the brown bananas yet , but 30-50 bucks a week savings buys better wine .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

How bad is it? I don’t actually do much grocery shopping lol

And I don’t think I’ve ever used a coupon for that matter at a grocery store. But I’m not going to chase 50c deals.

Follow your partner to Costco

I've got two neighbours with cattle. Every couple of years another couple and we buy a cow from them and have it butchered. Other than that, another buddy runs a local Metro and he texts me when they've got a really good deal running on prime rib, or steaks. I have no idea what the normal price of beef is, but I expect this would make it drop in the short term, then raise as they try to re-establish the herds out west.

This will be an interesting one for economics , part of my family raise shorthorn Herefords as beef cattle . Smaller feedlot maybe 40-50 at a time. It peanuts compared to western 1500 head spreads.
With the American west drought cattle have been moved north through AZ from Texas, into Montana and the Dakotas and now are living in the AB/Sask zone , so this wont just be a CDN problem , its also containing American beef on holiday in alberta

This will be an interesting one for economics , part of my family raise shorthorn Herefords as beef cattle . Smaller feedlot maybe 40-50 at a time. It peanuts compared to western 1500 head spreads.
With the American west drought cattle have been moved north through AZ from Texas, into Montana and the Dakotas and now are living in the AB/Sask zone , so this wont just be a CDN problem , its also containing American beef on holiday in alberta
Seems like an opportunity to return the US cattle and ship from there. If canadian cows get mixed in with that stock, they're clean too. Basically blood diamonds prairie style.

Follow your partner to Costco
I got a Costco membership and go for gas as it's usually a nickel cheaper. Groceries are cheaper if you buy the massive quantities and use them before they spoil. My wife does the flyer thing and plans her shopping with military precision, beating Costco prices.

I picked up some Australian Wagyu steak at Costco and it was fantastic, $70 a kilo. It sounds crazy but it works out to $16 for an eight ounce steak, no more than you would pay at a roadhouse for normal beef.

For us, Costco is interesting but we don't buy much. A friend who lives in a condo commented that he doesn't have room to store a bale of toilet paper.

I got a Costco membership and go for gas as it's usually a nickel cheaper. Groceries are cheaper if you buy the massive quantities and use them before they spoil. My wife does the flyer thing and plans her shopping with military precision, beating Costco prices.

I picked up some Australian Wagyu steak at Costco and it was fantastic, $70 a kilo. It sounds crazy but it works out to $16 for an eight ounce steak, no more than you would pay at a roadhouse for normal beef.

For us, Costco is interesting but we don't buy much. A friend who lives in a condo commented that he doesn't have room to store a bale of toilet paper.
If we have a bunch of people coming over I will pick up a whole striploin or tenderloin and chop it up. Extra meat gets vacuum packed and into the freezer. It comes out over the next few months. It makes for an expensive bill now but cheaper bills over the next few months. Tenderloin chain makes delicious hamburgers. I prefer the head to the main body of the tenderloin.

time do go vegetarian ;)

Back
Top Bottom