Assistance needed with motorcycle purchase & timing | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Assistance needed with motorcycle purchase & timing

The last and 2nd options are the XT version, spoked wheel and all, I'm not a V-Strom expert, though spoked tubeless wheels, comes with hand guards, engine guards, and a rack, Its better value than the new base versions your seeking imo.

Yes you pay taxes on it, however there is no blue book value, you pay taxes over what the ownership papers show. They could write $1, and you pay taxes on that. Not suggesting anything, however you can always get that bike for $1000, and still pay the tax on that.

Yeah, depends on the mood of the service ontario agent you are talking to. Some won't bat at eye at the $1, some will raise hell. Its double taxation so don't have any qualms about this, but its more of a effort and hassle consideration. Seller shouldn't care cause it has zero impact on them. $1000 should be fine.

Update - I put a deposit on a new V-Strom 2019 :) - The deal was good enough for me to take it. I will be driving down from Terrabonne, near Montreal to Burlington. I am still on the M1 till the 10th Oct. Which highways would I be allowed to ride on until then? Is an M1 even valid in Quebec?

I know I should have thought of this earlier. But it's done now. Worst case - I will have to wait another 18 days.

Last edited:
regardless of license status, coming from the north shore like that
I'd stay north and not go near MTL or Ottawa

wind your way over to Portage du Forte then enter Ontario
from there take back roads to Burlington
would be along day and a lot of fun

shorter, maybe easier but not as scenic
cross the bridge at Hawkesbury and head down to 43
take 43 west to Perth then get on #7 west to the GTA

Last edited:
Keep me posted I might ride part of the way with you. I'd tend to say make it an overnight trip and enjoy the back roads. You won't want to slab on a brand new bike and there are some lovely roads

It should say on the back of your license.

Congrats!

Right, sorry, that's silly of me. I saw the highways an M1 is allowed on in Ontario, online. What I meant to ask was, can I follow the same guidelines in Quebec? No highways above 80 km/h speed limit. Is that allowed/legal?

Keep me posted I might ride part of the way with you. I'd tend to say make it an overnight trip and enjoy the back roads. You won't want to slab on a brand new bike and there are some lovely roads

Awesome! I might leave on Friday, or next Wednesday, from here - in case I can ride in Quebec on an M1. Will go in via train to MTL, and then decide how to go further from there. I will DM you a day in advance in case you're in the nearabouts. I guess I will have to stay back for the night, as the dealer will hand it over late afternoon, and I cannot ride at night on an M1, as per rules.

regardless of license status, coming from the north shore like that
I'd stay north and not go near MTL or Ottawa

wind your way over to Portage du Forte then enter Ontario
from there take back roads to Burlington
would be along day and a lot of fun

shorter, maybe easier but not as scenic
cross the bridge at Hawkesbury and head down to 43
take 43 west to Perth then get on #7 west to the GTA

Noted. Thanks for the tip!

That's good advice. Remember to stay hydrated. Depending on the time you get the bike you could ride to Hawksbury that day and stay over.

Each day is a new learning experience. I have insured the bike with just the VIN, beginning this Friday, without actually purchasing it! Never knew that was a possibility :)

All I got is a attachment from Riders Plus with a small liability slip with my details, the bike make and model and the VIN.

Finally made my way to Terrebonne and picked the V-Strom today. Rode it from the dealership to Hawkesbury.

IMG_20200925_203106.jpg

It was fun! I enjoyed the amazing low end torque on the V-Twin, though I did stay within 5K Rpm.

I need all the help I can get guys - Not sure of what route to take back to Burlington on an M1 license. Even the county highways have a 90kmph limit on stretches. Thinking 117-7 route back

I never rode on an M1 license, couldnt get any insurance on anything other than an M2, but as long as you stay off the 400 series highways, you should be ok.

Congrats on the V strom, great bike!

Finally made my way to Terrebonne and picked the V-Strom today. Rode it from the dealership to Hawkesbury.

View attachment 45082

It was fun! I enjoyed the amazing low end torque on the V-Twin, though I did stay within 5K Rpm.

I need all the help I can get guys - Not sure of what route to take back to Burlington on an M1 license. Even the county highways have a 90kmph limit on stretches. Thinking 117-7 route back

Congrats on the new bike.

Pull up google maps on your phone.
Choose your destination (home address).
Click on the directions button.
Now click on the three dots (top right corner).
Click on route options.
Turn on...
“Avoid highways”
“Avoid tolls”
“Remember settings”

This should keep you from accidentally going on any highways, will take you around Ottawa to Hwy 7 and then route you the rest of the way.

Safe travels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom