Assistance needed with motorcycle purchase & timing | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Assistance needed with motorcycle purchase & timing

Quick question - I have always had issues with the fork oil seals on my 150 and 250 Honda. Tend to leak quite a bit. How has your experience been on the V-Strom?

Also, does the suspension bottom out on the V-Strom on off roads?
I have the XT version, the only differences are nicer handguards, laced wheels (with tubeless tires), and a plastic engine guard that protects against stone throw -- not bottoming out.

It's not a single track bike but quite capable on the roughest fire roads. If you're running hard offroad, a good quality skid plate is necessary, chances are you're not likely to bottom the suspension, but 6.5" ground clearance means ... well 6.5" ground clearance.

Both the CB500 and Vstrom use much bigger forks than a 125-250, there should be no unusual fork seal issues.

Depends on the definition of "off road". It's really not an off road bike but handles off pavement very well with decent tires. It's pretty well do all bike as they are all compromises. T700 would is a new contender for do all machine but above your price point.

Couple of riders here have them.

Enjoy

I’ve never had a fork seal leak on my DL650’s and these have had 88,000km, 160,000km and currently 60,00km.

The suspension is adequate even loaded up for a trip with your spouse and gear, but if you are doing heavily loaded trips quite often or riding roads with big holes/bumps quite often, then you may want to upgrade both the front and rear suspension.

I have a really tough skid plate (no longer made for these bikes) and I have bashed it pretty good on some very rough and rocky fire roads. It’s never been touched on normal gravel roads, so I would think a regular metal skid plate would be fine for most riders except on the rough or rocky trails.

I'm going to ServOn tomorrow to get the reg flipped and stuff (15 CB300F) should i plate it and just enjoy the rest of the season? Weather looks good for a few more weeks so it's quite tempting,

Ok gentlemen, after calling 100s of dealers, the best option I am getting is on a 2019 White V Strom 650, the all in price being around 2000$ cheaper than the nearby dealers who in-fact have run out of 2019 stock and are pushing 2020s

Now, the issue is - the dealer is in Thunder Bay. I have no qualms in riding down from there. But my concern is - How do I get there? My wife dosen't drive, and I don't want to take a flight.

Is there any other option to get the bike down here?

Have it shipped. I've had bikes delivered to me by Uship.com, Winnipeg - Toronto cost me $290, Ottawa Toronto about $100 less. Service is door to door. Remote dealers are usually experienced at bike shipping, ask the dealer if they will prep the bike and ship to you.

Ok gentlemen, after calling 100s of dealers, the best option I am getting is on a 2019 White V Strom 650, the all in price being a couple of 1000 $ cheaper than the nearby dealers who in-fact have run out of 2019 stock.

Now, the issue is - the dealer is in Thunder Bay. I have no qualms in riding down from there. But my concern is - How do I get there? My wife dosen't drive, and I don't want to take a flight.

Is there any other option to get the bike down here?

If you absolutely must get a new one, and that's the only place with the one you want. either rent a car one-way, or rent a van and bring it back, or get it shipped. Personally i would just look at used ones, it's a bulletproof bike and won't be your last bike

Have it shipped. I've had bikes delivered to me by Uship.com, Winnipeg - Toronto cost me $290, Ottawa Toronto about $100 less. Service is door to door. Remote dealers are usually experienced at bike shipping, ask the dealer if they will prep the bike and ship to you.

The bike is still in crate. I presume there will be a PDI done once it is here?

If you absolutely must get a new one, and that's the only place with the one you want. either rent a car one-way, or rent a van and bring it back, or get it shipped. Personally i would just look at used ones, it's a bulletproof bike and won't be your last bike

I agree with your recommendation. I am still trying to weigh the balance between the cost savings for a used 2017+ model vs a new purchase.

Quote I got from Dalton Timmis, which is the cheapest yet:

2019 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom ABS
$1 Million Liability
+ Standard Accident Benefits + Comprehensive (fire, theft, vandalism, flying objects, flood, hail) + Collision/Upset (Full Coverage) + Waiver of Depreciation/Replacement Cost: $1585 (or 12 payments of $133.80)
vs
$1 Million Liability + Standard Accident Benefits + Comprehensive (fire, theft, vandalism, flying objects, flood, hail): $1351 (or 12 payments of $114.05)
** without collision option available if you are not financing the motorcycle

Perhaps I will go with the full coverage for a new bike.

The bike is still in crate. I presume there will be a PDI done once it is here?

If you really want that new one, negotiate a final out the door price on it

it can get confusing with all the fees and addons and extra costs that they suddenly throw at you

The final OTD they gave was for pick up in Thunder Bay. $9000 all in. As it is still in freight, they will assemble it, do a PDI, licensing etc. If I were to ship it, they will ship it in freight as that's the way it stands currently. I could ask them to reduce the price in case of shipment then, you're right.

Your better of finding one on the route of say a greyhound, or VIA rail, or somewhere you can rent a car/trailer and do a day trip.

These guys have some in Ottawa apparently, still much closer than Thunder Bay

Your better of finding one on the route of say a greyhound, or VIA rail, or somewhere you can rent a car/trailer and do a day trip.

These guys have some in Ottawa apparently, still much closer than Thunder Bay

Yup, checked with their sales person as well. Gave him a quote, yet to hear back from the him. Willing to go + 200/300 as Ottawa is nearby, and will save a day.

not worth the hassle for inter province paperwork for a bike that can be had all over Ontario, in a day trip, new and used. Personally, I'd take the first choice in the list, comes with warranty, can ask for a lower price, tell the owner to write a lower amount on the paperwork to pay less taxes, used the saved $$$ to get gear or travel.

This guy can deliver

No liens, like new, seems like a caring owner, right in town

just done it's first oil change, and a bunch of great mods

and another...

Back
Top Bottom