Assistance needed with motorcycle purchase & timing | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Assistance needed with motorcycle purchase & timing

OP - take Mike's comments on the CB500x front with a large grain of salt. He doesn't own a CB500x..his comments would be like me discussing Ducati
You are right, I don't own a CB500x, for reasons I explained.

I'll give them credit where credit is due. Pros: It's an easy bike to ride, power delivery is smooth, it's got nice ergos for road riding, it's efficient, and it's inexpensive (a base Vstrom costs about 50% more). Cons: low on HP/torque (a V has 50% more HP and 45% more torque), and budget suspension and brakes can reach the limits of an intermediate rider (so you won't be romping with the other midweights).

Bottom line is they are designed for beginners and those looking for some light adv touring. Everyone I've met on one loves their bike, almost all were beginners, most said it won't be their next bike.

Over the next week, keep a ticker on how many CB500x and Vstroms you see on the road, that tells a better story.

$13.6k for the Vstrom is crazy, at that price point get the Yamaha T7.

At that money, there are a ton of options. I'd fork over the couple thousand more and get a KTM 790 Adventure/Adventure R. Biased as I own a 790 Duke and a buddy has a 790 Adventure R. That's if you are buying new. KTM had in the past offered an incentive right about now.

Owned a 500F too and found it adequate. Others can comment about the X trim but the engine is amazing for regular riding. It's definitely in the beginner bike category though. The 500 engine has great torque down low, enough pep for highway passing and 400km range.

You mentioned the riding experience so why buy new budget oriented models? Buy fancy or buy used!

At that money, there are a ton of options. I'd fork over the couple thousand more and get a KTM 790 Adventure/Adventure R. Biased as I own a 790 Duke and a buddy has a 790 Adventure R. That's if you are buying new. KTM had in the past offered an incentive right about now.

Owned a 500F too and found it adequate. Others can comment about the X trim but the engine is amazing for regular riding. It's definitely in the beginner bike category though. The 500 engine has great torque down low, enough pep for highway passing and 400km range.

You mentioned the riding experience so why buy new budget oriented models? Buy fancy or buy used!

Two reasons - a) For my purposes, I don't need too fancy a vehicle and that is why I am looking at middle-weight adventure tourers which brings me my next and main point b) Insurance - I am considered a new M2 rider here; my previous experience is moot. Honestly, love the 790 Adventure and at 14.5k, I think it is a very good deal with all the electronics and that suspension! However, a quote for the 790 Adv is more than 3 times the quote on a 500x. And I do-not want to shell out that amount of money for a vehicle, the capability of which I cannot fully use on Canadian Roads. The 650 is a good compromise with around 4-500 more than the 500x on yearly.

Also, I am kind of gravitating towards 650 V-Strom, as the wife as expressed her desire today, towards two-up riding. I and looking for left over models (2018/2019) In case you guys come across dealers in Southern/Central Ontario and Quebec (Up-till Montreal) with deals on a V-Strom 650 (Alloy or Spoke doesn't matter), please let me know. I can take a bus there, and ride back. Thanks!

I plan to take a test ride at Stugess in Hamilton next week.

Last edited:
100% get you about the insurance being a deciding factor on which models you cannot get. I'm more referring to why buy something like a vstrom 650 new from a dealer, even if its new old stock.

I see low mileage DL650's on Kijiji for well under 10k - all 2017 model years and up. They come up pretty often if you are willing to buy a low mileage used bike. I also see left over stock selling for under 10k. Also check www.autotrader.ca if you haven't already.

I've been riding DL650's for 12 years now and do long distance trips with my wife with ease.

I am getting really excited! It's been 4 years since I did some actual riding. At this point, to be honest, I can grab a good deal at any of the bikes I don't care :D .. I just want to get back on the saddle. Was reading through one of my travelogues and came across an image showing what I put my poor 250r through ( :D )on one of my rides to Ladakh in the Himalayas:

ladakh.jpg

You mean buy it used?
Yeah, buy it used. Its not like vstroms get hooned on a lot. Your riding and ownership experience should be enough to spot whether a used specimen has been abused or not. The model itself is reliable so there's no worries about manufacturer warranty support.

Now that Shane's checked into the thread, yeah, ask him all about buying used vstroms. I'm still shook how we randomly bumped into him down at the Dragon last year.

We need @WoBblyCaT to chime in here on the CB500X. He's toured around North America (until lockdown) for a few years and would can give the exhaustive, factual list of pros and cons.

I see low mileage DL650's on Kijiji for well under 10k - all 2017 model years and up. They come up pretty often if you are willing to buy a low mileage used bike. I also see left over stock selling for under 10k. Also check www.autotrader.ca if you haven't already.

I've been riding DL650's for 12 years now and do long distance trips with my wife with ease.

Thanks! Checking autotrader.

Looks good, one of the newer ones at a decent price
Bonus points if owner has receipts of maintenance

If someone could provide a checklist for things to verify, it will be really will be helpful. Thanks again!

Vstroms are pretty bulletproof but:

-Cold start it
-Check all the lights and horns
-See how much tread is left, how old the tires are
-I always check the shifting(bad experience)
-The forks and brakes(see there are no leaks on the forks)
-Check for leaks under the bike with the bike running
-Check the frame and steering head for any signs of damage

etc

DL650s are pretty tough and rarely present gremlins found in other midweight ADVs, I've met lotsa riders with 150K on their bikes, I've met a couple with 300K that have done nothing but routine service.

Weak points:
  • Surface Corrosion. Not the deep internal scrap your bike type, but they are known to get ugly surface corrosion fasteners, spokes and fittings if they taste a salty road. Not dangerous but just unsightly.
  • Be prepared to spend $100 to change the chain at about 20K (factory chains are a weak point, they stretch). Let it go too long and you're into another $150 for sprockets.
  • For bikes with 30K +, check to see whether clutch adjustment is on. A civil ride might be fine for an out of adjustment DL, but get on her and it doesn't take long to burn a clutch.

Thank you MacDoc! First of all, wonderful photography, I checked out your Travel Photos from your signature.

I am 188cm and just measured my inseam - In between 34-35". And technically, I would'nt be looking at the bike I buy as a starter bike as I have ridden for 10 years previously (until 2016). From the reviews, the best part I like about the 500x is the balanced weight and low centre of gravity which will improve its handling on corners. The concern I have is long distance touring, as I love doing that. The last ride I finished in Dec 2015 was ~4000km from the north to south of my country on a cbr250r, cruising on highways at 7k rpm between 110-120. But like you said, the 500x would have no issues with that too, so I am not concerned. I am also not concerned with seat position and comfortability, as that can be fixed.

I will drop in at dealer today - And I have also booked a test rider - there is a demo Strom at Sturgess motorcycles in Hamilton that I can test ride.

Lastly - How much leeway do I have for negotiation? I have been quoted website prices by the dealer. Moreover, they have run out of VStroms 650 - Except 1 650X adventure. Bring the price to around 13.6k (quote) which is more than I am willing to shell out honestly. I am ok around the 10k mark. Is 10% off the MSRP a reasonable discount to ask for?

And yes, I did finish the course on 13th Sep

Excellent ..6' 1" .the CB500x may well be feel small for you and the Vstrom might be a better fit. I'd hit the CB500x forum and see what the 6'+ riders think. With your riding experience and the ability to carry heavier loads the Vstrom is likely the better choice. I'd tend to encourage you to buy a late model well equipped Vstrom rather than new. My first Vstrom 650 had all the gear I needed for cross Canada - it performed very well and I paid $6000 for a 2010 in 2015. Do not be concerned about mileage on the Vstrom, they are durable...just make sure service records are available.

However if you want a new bike go for it ...my CB500x was the first new bike in 55 years of riding. (y) ?
You can get lots of help with farkles and can fit it out exactly as you like.

Excellent ..6' 1" .the CB500x may well be feel small for you and the Vstrom might be a better fit. I'd hit the CB500x forum and see what the 6'+ riders think. With your riding experience and the ability to carry heavier loads the Vstrom is likely the better choice. I'd tend to encourage you to buy a late model well equipped Vstrom rather than new. My first Vstrom 650 had all the gear I needed for cross Canada - it performed very well and I paid $6000 for a 2010 in 2015. Do not be concerned about mileage on the Vstrom, they are durable...just make sure service records are available.

However if you want a new bike go for it ...my CB500x was the first new bike in 55 years of riding. (y) ?
You can get lots of help with farkles and can fit it out exactly as you like.

Thank you!

I completely forgot that I had a friend back home who bought a 650 XT last year, and he provided his opinion after his 1 year riding experience on it. He knows me well, as we have been touring together for a long time, so I am now certain that I want to purchase the 650 V-Strom. At-least, that is clear as day to me.

My inclination is towards the 650 XT. As I would eventually end up spending $$ on a skid plate to protect the low down oil filter casing.

I am yet to hear back from the fellow who has posted the classified for the 2014 Vstrom.

I am also open to purchasing new, left over models. A few of them are offering 1000 off on the MSRP for 2019 models and perhaps I can negotiate further. Any color will do. I will keep you guys posted.

Quick question - I have always had issues with the fork oil seals on my 150 and 250 Honda. Tend to leak quite a bit. How has your experience been on the V-Strom?

Also, does the suspension bottom out on the V-Strom on off roads?

Back
Top Bottom