Anyone into gardening here? | Page 54 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone into gardening here?

poppies are quite interesting…

and…

Eat enough polish poppy seed cake and you will test positive for narcotics!
Ages ago in Manitoba the RCMP told my grandmother to stop growing poppies. I don't know if they were the wrong kind or the Mountie had failed botany class.

Had a peony for 2.5 years and never a flower. This year, it has finally bloomed. Beautiful flower 😍
View attachment 49262

Had only 1 bloom last year on the poppy plant, This year; lots!View attachment 49263
I have a peony as well it’s over 25 years old, and the flowers and aroma it produces is intoxicating, this year was great, no rain, so the flowers lasted for days, as opposed to getting rained on and drooping, mine are a deeper purple

So i had fun planting stuff in pots this year. You can see some of the evolution here:
The black-eyed susans took over everything quite nicely, they were white and orange, popped real nice. I'll have other plans for those. I'll try to see if i can save the geraniums. And i might purge some of the hostas as i keep cutting them every year (in half...and share with the neighours) but they keep coming back bigger and strong. Not pictured is how gigantic my coleus became in that big colourful pot with the sweet potato vines.

Now i also committed to a big order of bulbs after those were planted and i just received them about a week ago!?

I've already shared some with the mother in law and the mom/sister
Now because there's a huge construction project happening at the front (i think i have one picture of it) and it won't be done until end of November, i still have to plant the bulbs, probably before mid november.
I have the following:
60 assorted tulips (with some yellows, pink, whites)
15 red double petal tulips
15 assorted daffodils (with yellow/whites)
15 muscaris touch of snow
60 alliums spherosomething
30 pusckinia libotanica (!?)
6 hyacinths

Because of the lack of access to my front porch i'm thinking of doing pots (fabric pots) and creating arrangements that way, so they can get the cool/rooting period over winter and i can just dig big holes in spring and put those fabric pots directly in the ground. That way year after year i can save the bulbs. Is that a good idea? Or would the fabric pots be a bad idea.

Last edited:
So i had fun planting stuff in pots this year. You can see some of the evolution here:
The black-eyed susans took over everything quite nicely, they were white and orange, popped real nice. I'll have other plans for those. I'll try to see if i can save the geraniums. And i might purge some of the hostas as i keep cutting them every year (in half...and share with the neighours) but they keep coming back bigger and strong. Not pictured is how gigantic my coleus became in that big colourful pot with the sweet potato vines.

Now i also committed to a big order of bulbs after those were planted and i just received them about a week ago!?

Now because there's a huge construction project happening at the front (i think i have one picture of it) and it won't be done until end of November, i still have to plant the bulbs, probably before mid november.
I have the following:
6 hyacinths

Because of the lack of access to my front porch i'm thinking of doing pots (fabric pots) and creating arrangements that way, so they can get the cool/rooting period over winter and i can just dig big holes in spring and put those fabric pots directly in the ground. That way year after year i can save the bulbs. Is that a good idea? Or would the fabric pots be a bad idea.
Very nice. Your retaining wall looks like it may not be retaining much very soon though!

Very nice. Your retaining wall looks like it may not be retaining much very soon though!
The scary things we find under our decks. But you should've seen the garage structure. Even scarier with all the delamination.

I have the following:
6 hyacinths

Most bulbs require a sustained cold period for them to sprout (8-12weeks around zero deg). My guess is that the sunlight and daytime air temps fluctuate too much for them to be exposed to the consistently low temps, whereas buried in the earth several inches below grade, they do get that sustained cold period.

I would suggest you put them into the ground and not in fabric pots. You could try mixing bulbs into one hole to create an arrangement, but that might not yield the best results for a few reasons. First the bulbs may be sprouting at different periods of the spring. Second, the bulbs may not sprout in the front/back orientation you prefer. If either one of those scenarios occurs, the grouping could look wack. An alternative would be to dig larger holes and group like bulbs in each hole. For example - maybe 9 groups of tulips only, 5 groups of daffodils, 3 groups of muscari, etc.

Plant your bulbs to a depth that is at least 3x the size of the bulb. I plant my tulips at a depth of around 4x the size of the bulb to keep the squirrels away - I pack the soil down really good and they stay untouched. You can also sprinkle bloodmeal over top of the planted soil if the squirrels are still a problem for the tulips.

This is what groupings can look like. Every 3 weeks the spring garden looks different, based on what is greening up and what is flowering, so there is a continuous display of interest. Shortly after this there are shows of large alliums, iris, hyacinths, fritillaria, other lillies and more. The nice thing is then whenever you want cut flowers for an indoor arrangement. you can cut a nice mix and it doesn't affect the aesthetic of the garden at all.
IMG_3226.jpg

Last edited:
Burn baby 🔥

Everything pulled except for hot peppers. Huge bonfire yesterday. Peppers to be dealt with this week

Things starting to get tired in the garden, ripped out a lot last week, will wait for frost to get the rest.

The front yard got a bad bout of white mildew this year made ugly on my yellow magnolia, peonies, and a few dahlias. Also had trouble with Japanese beetles, slugs, and hydrangea leaf-tier.

Had fun with banana plants this year, these started a 6" pups in the spring. T

3.png1.png

Things starting to get tired in the garden, ripped out a lot last week, will wait for frost to get the rest.

The front yard got a bad bout of white mildew this year made ugly on my yellow magnolia, peonies, and a few dahlias. Also had trouble with Japanese beetles, slugs, and hydrangea leaf-tier.

View attachment 51936View attachment 51937
The slugs were brutal, even with slug-specific insecti-soap, they devoured my marigolds and snacked on some of the others

View attachment 51936View attachment 51937
We have about 20 of those scattered around the house right now. That is a decent size. For fun…you should check out what a banana plant that size is worth!

We have about 20 of those scattered around the house right now. That is a decent size. For fun…you should check out what a banana plant that size is worth!
You would not believe the growth rate of a banana plant in a double bucket hydro system with good light.

I cleaned out my gardens this week and was surprised by some unusual winter damage from rabbits. They ate the tips off a bunch of mature deciduous shrubs, then they knawed off the bark -- I don't think they can be saved. They chewed my raspberry patch down to the ground, I can't even find thorns!

I've been her for 20 years and never seen this happen to my stuff.

I cleaned out my gardens this week and was surprised by some unusual winter damage from rabbits. They ate the tips off a bunch of mature deciduous shrubs, then they knawed off the bark -- I don't think they can be saved. They chewed my raspberry patch down to the ground, I can't even find thorns!

I've been her for 20 years and never seen this happen to my stuff.

I have a Portuguese neighbour that keeps our rabbit population down. Rumour is he doesn’t use totally legal means but he has a steady supply of free meat.

I have a Portuguese neighbour that keeps our rabbit population down. Rumour is he doesn’t use totally legal means but he has a steady supply of free meat.
My cat and dog used to patroll the yard. They both turned 13 this month, i think they have lost interest in chasing stuff.

Back
Top Bottom