Anyone into gardening here? | Page 52 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone into gardening here?

Enjoying the peace and quiet in the garden..lots of chickadees about. They look hungry...I fill up the feeders. 5 minutes of chickadee feeding then 6 grackles show up, **** over everything, fight on the feeders, squawk like idiots, flick the seed everywhere and scare off all the others.

Sigh.

Edit: 8 and rising. Also they arrived out of nowhere. I think I’m being watched.
This is interesting as we had a ton of grackles & red-wing black birds between April & June then ...... nothing! Haven't seen one for months. Not sure why. They acted exactly as you describe when they were here so not sad to see them go. Just don't know what caused their departure.

This is interesting as we had a ton of grackles & red-wing black birds between April & June then ...... nothing! Haven't seen one for months. Not sure why. They acted exactly as you describe when they were here so not sad to see them go. Just don't know what caused their departure.

I was told they migrate away, like yours did. Only mine have stuck around instead of f@#$ing off.

GTAM Gardners.....where does one go and find a tree to plant in a backyard? Previous owner cut our 5 trees from the yard which is nice and roomy but barren. We’d like at least 1 tree, possibly 2 to plant.

considering either a maple or some fruit bearing tree (apple or pear).

Come to my front garden...borrow my shovel

33dba1b7aeb6dd9a1ed6f6873ac208de.jpg

59f683ef824b6ff0a05cb26117c037fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bump!
Snow is all gone and the bulbs are now starting to come up.

This year I am going to make my own soil mixture for some of my potted plants. Anyone know where I can get a plastic kiddie pool? I only need one that is about 5-6ft diameter and maybe 12-18" deep. Preferably a round pool instead of square. I'll be making a few hundred litres of soil, so I've found that using the pool is easiest to mix all the ingredients together.

Thanks!

Bump!

This year I am going to make my own soil mixture for some of my potted plants. Anyone know where I can get a plastic kiddie pool? I only need one that is about 5-6ft diameter and maybe 12-18" deep. Preferably a round pool instead of square. I'll be making a few hundred litres of soil, so I've found that using the pool is easiest to mix all the ingredients together.

Thanks!
Would this work?
  • Dimensions: 59" dia. x 11.4" H (150 x 29 cm)

1615575466187.png

Bump!

Thanks!
Get it fast. Last year all pools and fun toys were sold out in an instant.

Also check out sandpits for kids. Smaller batches but should work for your needs.

That is exactly what I am looking for. Thank you very much!
I will grab one this weekend - seems to be lots in stock right now.
Those things are a pia to store. Wouldn't an inflatable one with a plastic shovel be better?

Those things are a pia to store. Wouldn't an inflatable one with a plastic shovel be better?
Good question.
I will store it out of the way on the side of my house - which is really sheltered.
I didn't want to get the inflatable ones that I know I would puncture.
Typically I fill these up about 1-2 bales of soilless mix (about 100-200 cubic litres of soil) and then add in all my ingredients and then mix it all up nice with my garden forks, spades or shovels. It's a bit time consuming at the beginning, but then no need for fertilizing for the rest of the year and just water with plain water.

Good question.
I will store it out of the way on the side of my house - which is really sheltered.
I didn't want to get the inflatable ones that I know I would puncture.
Typically I fill these up about 1-2 bales of soilless mix (about 100-200 cubic litres of soil) and then add in all my ingredients and then mix it all up nice with my garden forks, spades or shovels. It's a bit time consuming at the beginning, but then no need for fertilizing for the rest of the year and just water with plain water.
I use a auger mounted on a cordless drill to mix up my soils and amendments makes the task much easier and faster power planter brand augers work well for me FWIW.

I use a auger mounted on a cordless drill to mix up my soils and amendments makes the task much easier and faster power planter brand augers work well for me FWIW.
For now while I am healthy and fit, I like to get down and dirty and mix this stuff up manually. I'll often even just mix the soil with my bare hands, so I can get a close-up feel of how well the consistency of the mixed soil is.

But the auger on the drill is an awesome idea - I will look into that more.

For now while I am healthy and fit, I like to get down and dirty and mix this stuff up manually. I'll often even just mix the soil with my bare hands, so I can get a close-up feel of how well the consistency of the mixed soil is.

But the auger on the drill is an awesome idea - I will look into that more.

I have a feeling you'll stay that way

GTAM Gardners.....where does one go and find a tree to plant in a backyard? Previous owner cut our 5 trees from the yard which is nice and roomy but barren. We’d like at least 1 tree, possibly 2 to plant.

considering either a maple or some fruit bearing tree (apple or pear).
A late reply but with fruit trees, a lot of people want the blossoms and not the fruit. Too much to deal with. The wrong tree can be a lot of work. With you having good access, you have a lot of size choice.

Trees take a long time to mature so plant now for your retirement. Edible nuts? I don't think pecans grow here but walnuts are edible.

So i've decided out of the blue to go bulb-crazy for next spring and i've placed an order. Now there might be some work that will be done at the front (yay condo townhouse living) so i don't know yet if i'll be able to plant before winter. If not I'll have to get creative with tons of planters. Heard a lot about "bulb lasagna planters" where you put different bulbs at different heights.

Kind of excited to steal the show next year at least till mid summer. I'm thinking of complementing with some dahlias and some other annuals that i'll choose next year
1620862405262.png

Back
Top Bottom