Anyone into gardening here? | Page 55 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone into gardening here?

Wow...not often that dinner comes to you! Any my hunting friend is an idiot waiting in the cold for a full day at a time....

Free compost giveaways being held in Durham​

Be mindful of elevated levels of plastic in free compost from dog poop bags and other plastics that make their way into the yard waste collection. Might be ok for use on a shrub bed, but I wouldn’t use it on any plants I intend on ingesting.

I don’t know the quality of the Durham region stuff, but very often the free compost I have worked with in Toronto area is also hydrophobic and seems to repel water - might have something to do with the temperatures they cook it at.

Be mindful of elevated levels of plastic in free compost from dog poop bags and other plastics that make their way into the yard waste collection. Might be ok for use on a shrub bed, but I wouldn’t use it on any plants I intend on ingesting.

I don’t know the quality of the Durham region stuff, but very often the free compost I have worked with in Toronto area is also hydrophobic and seems to repel water - might have something to do with the temperatures they cook it at.
I'm no compost sommelier, but the free stuff in York region is magic. There was a few shreds of plastic, and it was still steaming hot when they loaded me.

We're mostly clay till, I mixed in a few truckloads a while back and my garden started producing like mad.

Going for a couple of yards this weekend.

I'm no compost sommelier, but the free stuff in York region is magic. There was a few shreds of plastic, and it was still steaming hot when they loaded me.

We're mostly clay till, I mixed in a few truckloads a while back and my garden started producing like mad.

Any info on this? I've been waiting for them to announce the free giveaway this year but can't find anything for York Region/Vaughan/Markham

Thanks

Where abouts is this? Free? I really need to do something with my garden soon. Yes, I live in York Region.
Thanks in advance.

I left it too late to get the lawn core aerated it seems so I decided to do as best as I could myself. Out everyday with a garden fork to loosen some soil in patches, add topsoil, fertilizer and grass seed, stomp it down and water it. Hopefully that does the job. I have a ton of bare hard packed clay soil spots in the yard. Hoping this will help break it up and condition it a bit.

I left it too late to get the lawn core aerated it seems so I decided to do as best as I could myself. Out everyday with a garden fork to loosen some soil in patches, add topsoil, fertilizer and grass seed, stomp it down and water it. Hopefully that does the job. I have a ton of bare hard packed clay soil spots in the yard. Hoping this will help break it up and condition it a bit.
Always wondered if aeration is worth it? We always have the guys walking around and offering to aerate our lawns for $X but I always just assumed it’s BS.

It should. Just need to lightly water the area daily just enough that the grass seed actually starts the growing process.

Don’t be like my neighbour who puts grass seed down on top of dirt and at the end of a rainless week wonders why his lawn doesn’t grow like mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So after big remedial work being done along our pathway a lot of grass was destroyed. They hydroseeded last fall. A lot of it hasnt taken properly and property management is "wanting to wait and see how much of it takes"

So a few of the neighbours and i have taken matters in our own hands, ordered 2 yards of soil and wheeled them to our properties (the walkways isnt very car/truck accessible)
Tons of seed, a bunch of fertilizer and a lot of hope that it'll take.

We had a blitz last year of re-seeding and overseeding and had great success. Luckily my backyard turns to mud every year so ive had some practice lol.

Also my bulbs from last fall are starting to grow nicely...just gotta replant the hostas around them, get more soil in and some mulch (so too early for pics lol) I'd planted them in fabric "pots" which allowed me to protect them from the pesky squirrels quite successfully but then it kinda bunched the bulbs together (ive noticed this spring) Things are still growing "nicely" though and the first tulip has bloomed yesterday woohoo

I'd be all over that Durham compost giveaway but I need to cover over an acre to help grass to grow and I'm betting shovelling it onto a trailer for an hour would be frowned upon.
We put down another 25kg of seed 8-9 days ago but trying to water daily is impossible. Concentrating on twice daily watering the areas that are bare. No grass yet but hoping they come up before a massive downpour havocs the dirt.

Always wondered if aeration is worth it? We always have the guys walking around and offering to aerate our lawns for $X but I always just assumed it’s BS.

It is for me. Our soil is clay and if it gets neglected it dries rock hard and cracks. Aeration pulls some plugs of soil out and let’s them break down, gets the roots some space and the top soil I spread conditions the soil after.

It is for me. Our soil is clay and if it gets neglected it dries rock hard and cracks. Aeration pulls some plugs of soil out and let’s them break down, gets the roots some space and the top soil I spread conditions the soil after.
its something i wanted to do but was too cheap to buy the "shoe addon cleats" or to rent the machine

Last edited:
I have this and it does a good job:

I file the edges nice and sharp and go at it after a rainy day
I collect all the cores and fill back with top soil or compost and it's made a difference so far this season
It's worth doing before the real summer heat hits
I bought the same thing a couple of weeks ago. I didnt do as good of a job as I wanted (it gets boring after awhile) but its much better than what I had. I have used a couple of companies in the past for aeration (in the area of 100 to 150 bucks) and the bad job I did looked far better than what I had paid them to do. I didnt go as far as you with the top soil etc and havent seen any difference so far but Im guessing that some aeration is better than none. My neighbor saw me doing it and said 'hey, that looks like good exercise!' . That was the last thing on my mind.

GTAM Gardening tool loan program

🙋‍♂️🙋‍♂️🙋‍♂️

teehee
honestly i shouldve just rented the one from Home depot to do our 6 lawns but the soil should do the thing for this year

Back
Top Bottom