Anyone here a cyclist? | Page 29 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone here a cyclist?

Anyone know what's the proper way to push these bearings of? Axle slid right out. Do I just tap them in a cross pattern with a punch?

47b8b4e1f092970104d14310172eea2c.jpg
cca292fe1fdcdb6f0e46a10e4cfe7558.jpg
37ffbc7e94898d8e7f4c5b9fc07c5872.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Heat up the hub with a heat gun and they'll pop out with minimal force.

Tap vs. whack.

Ok thanks. That gave the middle shaft enough give to move away from the bearing face so I could tap it out.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Woke up this morning hoping to catch the first stage of the Tour de France....it is not on TV this year, pay online streaming only, bastardos! In the past few years I really enjoyed just having it on in the background while working or chilling.... I am not going to bother VPNing it and I have no interest in yet another subscription service.

Woke up this morning hoping to catch the first stage of the Tour de France....it is not on TV this year, pay online streaming only, bastardos! In the past few years I really enjoyed just having it on in the background while working or chilling.... I am not going to bother VPNing it and I have no interest in yet another subscription service.

FYI, stage 8 and 9 are on NBC. A couple more 14 and 15 on CNBC if you have that channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone have experience with one of those child trailers that attaches to the back?

I've been using front carrier but my daughter is close to outgrowing it. I'm thinking of getting a 2 seater so I can also bring my old dog on rides. Mostly pavement and very light gravel.

Initially ordered a bell smooth sailor (cheaper end of spectrum) but it got cancelled and when researching more, found that pricing goes from like 300 to 1500ish.

If you've had one, is it worth getting a premium one?

Does anyone have experience with one of those child trailers that attaches to the back?

I've been using front carrier but my daughter is close to outgrowing it. I'm thinking of getting a 2 seater so I can also bring my old dog on rides. Mostly pavement and very light gravel.

Initially ordered a bell smooth sailor (cheaper end of spectrum) but it got cancelled and when researching more, found that pricing goes from like 300 to 1500ish.

If you've had one, is it worth getting a premium one?
I've had a costco double trailer and now have a chariot double. They both work ok. Chariot is noticeably better but there is no way I would buy one new for the crazy price they want. BIL is still using the costco trailer with no issues. There is a noticeable drag when pulling the trailer and if you go through somewhere bumpy you need to slow down or the trailer can start rocking but the experience is pretty much what you would expect. Kids love it back there.

FWIW, I think we bought the costco trailer for <100 and the chariot for maybe 200? We didn't have a front wheel for running on the costco one otherwise we probably would have just kept that and never bought the chariot. Chariot has adjustable suspension on each side so the big kid gets stiffer suspension. Better trunk on the chariot. Hitch on chariot is a huge piece of aluminum that you put your QR through. It makes me sad as it makes the bike so much heavier but changing the skewer and hitch everytime also sucks so it stays on for now..

Both reasonably suck at folding, they are still huge. As a proof of concept I did put the double chariot in the trunk of a golf to go to the zoo but it took up every inch of space and needed to be flattened to its fullest extent.

Last edited:
Had a Bell carrier about 16 years ago and it did the trick. Easy to take on and off. The only concern is making sure you give yourself the width of the trailer when on a path with others coming and going.

My dogs never took to it as much as I wanted them to or I’d still have one.

In fact, I found a utility carrier with a flat floor on marketplace with hopes either dog would tag along. Again, no dice.

I sold it for more than I purchased it for.

Never went middle of the road or top line stuff so, I don’t know if the extra money makes a difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had an original Wike. It was really neet, and folded up when not used. Used to ride downtown from the Humber with the twins in it to daycare. Hope the guy got some money before others ripped off his design.

Any recommendations for kids(boy) bike 24 size . Under $400

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Keep an eye on fall clearances. I picked up a 24" GT Stomper a few years ago for my youngest daughter from Sport Chek for $249 on fall clearance, regular around $450. I did the assembly myself, they offer it for free but I would rather it be done correctly... instead of to department store standards. The bike has been solid, only problem so far was a bent derailleur hanger from an impact. Really a bike they will ride for 2 to 3 years so there is no need to go all high spec IMO.

She is just turning 12, I had to swap out the seat post to a longer one to get her through this year, she will get a 26er for next summer. I will pick up a used one to rebuild, hopefully this fall/winter.

Latest restoration/rebuild not really a true "cyclist's" bike but an interesting project. The bike is a Japanese ladies utility bicycle, not sure of the age but maybe 40+ years old. The rims and seat post are made out of stainless (not chrome plated steel), hookless, front brakes really suck on stainless even with good pads. It has an old Shimano drum rear brake that I rebuilt, all I could find online for this model was a parts diagram in Japanese--so I had a diagram... Original tubes had Dunlop/Woods valves. I replaced them with Schrader tubes but ones with a threaded stem to keep the original look. Tires are 32-540, which is somewhat rare for bikes but still common for wheel chairs (white walls to match the originals). The chain is fully enclosed. Screws are mostly JIS.

Original paint polished up very nicely. All the original racks, basket etc. cleaned up nicely. It was in storage for many decades. Comes in at a hair under 40 lbs.
Japanese Utility Bike 1.jpgJapanese Utility Bike 2.jpg

Latest restoration/rebuild not really a true "cyclist's" bike but an interesting project. The bike is a Japanese ladies utility bicycle, not sure of the age but maybe 40+ years old. The rims and seat post are made out of stainless (not chrome plated steel), hookless, front brakes really suck on stainless even with good pads. It has an old Shimano drum rear brake that I rebuilt, all I could find online for this model was a parts diagram in Japanese--so I had a diagram... Original tubes had Dunlop/Woods valves. I replaced them with Schrader tubes but ones with a threaded stem to keep the original look. Tires are 32-540, which is somewhat rare for bikes but still common for wheel chairs (white walls to match the originals). The chain is fully enclosed. Screws are mostly JIS.

Original paint polished up very nicely. All the original racks, basket etc. cleaned up nicely. It was in storage for many decades. Comes in at a hair under 40 lbs.
View attachment 44896View attachment 44897
Whats the plan for it now? Was this done for you or somebody else? Cool urban cruiser for the downtown crowd.

Whats the plan for it now? Was this done for you or somebody else? Cool urban cruiser for the downtown crowd.

A lady 5'2" hipster would be in her glory. The utility aspect is great for running errands, single speed but the gearing is very comfortable for casual cruising. Overall a very nice casual ride for a smaller rider.

It was done for a friend, she had the bike since new, hopefully it gets some new kms in the near future. It is also pretty enough to just hang on a wall.... For me it was just a bizzaro mechanical engineering challenge, so many things were "weird". Today the engineering of anything made in Japan is considered top notch, it was a good reminder that it was not always that way. It is a Miyata BTW... One nice surprise, the bb was square taper.

Keep an eye on fall clearances. I picked up a 24" GT Stomper a few years ago for my youngest daughter from Sport Chek for $249 on fall clearance, regular around $450. I did the assembly myself, they offer it for free but I would rather it be done correctly... instead of to department store standards. The bike has been solid, only problem so far was a bent derailleur hanger from an impact. Really a bike they will ride for 2 to 3 years so there is no need to go all high spec IMO.

She is just turning 12, I had to swap out the seat post to a longer one to get her through this year, she will get a 26er for next summer. I will pick up a used one to rebuild, hopefully this fall/winter.

Every store is sold out. Nothing is available , even on clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I’ve been in stores that have lots of bikes in stock in the GTA

Every store is sold out. Nothing is available , even on clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

You will have to shop around and keep looking as supply chains are all messed up due to COVID, but if you are going to find a deal, it will be fall clearance. My GT example is just an example but something about as good as it (any brand) is likely more than good enough for your kids needs and in the price point. Check out some larger real bike shops locally to see what they have.

It was early October when I ordered it a few years ago (so no COVID) from Sport Chek, it shipped from Newfoundland, they had nothing local (can't imagine free shipping was cost effective for them that day!).

Back
Top Bottom