Anyone do the laser eye thing? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone do the laser eye thing?

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
Hey all,
Have been thinking recently about getting my eyes done as I've been wearing glasses since I was about 9 years old (39 now) and it came up in discussions that it's an option with my optometrist. He didn't recommend anything specific as I didn't really pursue the matter, but the bug's been laid and I am not sure whether it's worth it, or whether to drop it. Out of my friends only one has had it done (his work benefits paid for it 100%) and loves it, but trying to get a better quantity of opinions.
Anyone done it? Recommendations? Was it as 'life changing' as it's made out to be online?
Thanks.

I did it in 2002. We're the same age.
My eyes were pretty bad...

Lasik MD off Rathburn rd. did mine.

Well worth it.
Bausch & Lome keratome (I think thats how you say it. Been a long time) lasik.

Old school cutting of the flap on the eye. Better systems now.

My eyes are still good.

Do it.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

I did lasikmd (the fancy package with lifetime updates for ~4K) more than a decade ago. I never got to 20/20, had a touchup on my dominant eye to get them both to 20/40 or so. I am happy with my choice, no glasses/contacts and makes it easy to wear sunglasses most of the time when I'm outside so that should help save my eyes over time.

Do more research. There are plenty of documented life changing horror stories. Even if the risk is less than 0.01 % - shite happens.
I wear glasses and would never consider gambling on my eyesight. imo.
Before I did it, I did a crapton of research. At that time, the overwhelming majority of problems were related to the laser flap creation (as opposed to micro keratome). I used that research to eliminate firms pushing that technology (cant remember the name, a big firm with an office on yonge south of 401). Laser flap had a high profit margin and high risk of complication. It really ****** me off that they were push it as the best option.

TLC in 2002, lasted til 2013, then I was back in glasses. Eyes age and they cannot correct that so eventually you will be back in glasses.

For the 10 years I got without glasses or contacts it was worth it to me. Helmets, skiing, swimming etc, it just makes it easier than having to deal with lenses.

Done at a now defunct place in Kitchener, way back in 2000.
Worked great until about 3 years ago, at which point my eyes slowly started to lose focus due to age. I'm 49 now, eyes at a -1 prescription strength now. Legal to drive a car without, but the extra sharpness is nice.

Didn't have any serious side effects - no haloes, no reduced night vision - just dry eyes and there's a squiggle, almost like a fuzzy hair that I can see in the top right corner of my right eye in really bright light. My brain has learned to tune it out as it's small, but if I concentrate on it i can "see" it.

Did mine at the LasikMD on Orbiter Drive I think it was near Centennial Park back in 2005. The best $2k I've ever spent! Mine was the procedure where they cut a flap, peel it back, laser off a bit off the top of the cornea, and then return the flap back.

They'll give you these 2 plastic eye cover things you tape over your eyes when sleeping and taking a shower as you do NOT want to rip that flap before it fully heals back. You'll get antibiotic drops for your eyes too. Follow their medical advice!

When I was done back then, I was better than 20/20 vision. I'm not quite 20/20 now but still plenty good for not needing glasses. Just be aware that if you currently cannot read with your distance glasses on, that you'll need reading glasses (remember after the surgery, it'll be as if you have those distance glasses on ALL THE TIME).

I waited until my prescription had levelled off for 2-3 years before doing it as you don't want to get it done as your eyes are regressing on a downward slope as you'll just need to go back again for a re-do and in some cases your cornea may just be too thin to laser another bit off of it (not to mention you'll be paying twice for it).

I highly recommend it and haven't met anyone who's done it that hasn't said the same thing.

Contact lenses (y)

because I might need cataract surgery some day.

Had mine done at TLC about 15 years ago still good. My wife had hers done 4 yrs ago at lasikMD they made her vision worse than before the surgery and have no idea how to fix it.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Contact lenses (y)

because I might need cataract surgery some day.
I would probably not have the surgery done if I was older (45+?) at the time it became viable. I chose the more expensive procedure as it removed substantially less tissue. Spending some money to save eye-tissue seemed like a no-brainer to me (and that's also why I didn't get the non-dominant eye reshot, it's good enough, save the tissue). As it is, I expect to enjoy 20+ years of my life without needing corrective lenses. That is a substantial thing to give up to possibly make a repair easier for a condition that I may not get much later in life.

When I heard it was the process of attempting to reshape your eye by creating scar tissue, that was enough for me.
I love my disposable contacts they make it so I can keep riding.

Hey all, thanks for the info and sharing your experiences. I'm still on the fence and one of those guys that researches piddly things....so this will be a feat in itself while I decide.
I've gone the contact lens route but find my eyes are always dry and I cannot stand the feeling of them. Plus working in underground environment the dust would absolutely make me want to rip them out unfortunately.

Hey all, thanks for the info and sharing your experiences. I'm still on the fence and one of those guys that researches piddly things....so this will be a feat in itself while I decide.
I've gone the contact lens route but find my eyes are always dry and I cannot stand the feeling of them. Plus working in underground environment the dust would absolutely make me want to rip them out unfortunately.
I can relate to the dirt part but dry eye is apparently a symptom that might be associated with the surgery options too for some people.

My ex got it done in 2001. Lasted about 10 years and back to glasses. Has some issues with night driving and will avoid doing when possible. Haven’t talked to her in 7 years so, can’t say if she regrets it or not. It was TLC and I know she liked the results afterwards.

She wore glasses for as long as she can remember and was blind without them. So it was life changing for her in the beginning at around 34 years old.

Edit: I heard there are many firemen on disability because the surgery didn’t go well. It’s apparently one of the largest categories for going on disability.

Maybe someone can chime in who is in the know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My ex got it done in 2001. Lasted about 10 years and back to glasses. Has some issues with night driving and will avoid doing when possible. Haven’t talked to her in 7 years so, can’t say if she regrets it or not. It was TLC and I know she liked the results afterwards.

She wore glasses for as long as she can remember and was blind without them. So it was life changing for her in the beginning at around 34 years old.

Edit: I heard there are many firemen on disability because the surgery didn’t go well. It’s apparently one of the largest categories for going on disability.

Maybe someone can chime in who is in the know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never heard of this and know quite a few people in the fire service who have had it done, including myself.

I can relate to the dirt part but dry eye is apparently a symptom that might be associated with the surgery options too for some people.
Yup. I use drops 4-5 times a day.
FYI picked up a 5 pack of Refresh drops at Costco for like $20!
I paid that for 1 bottle at my local place.

If you go thru with the surgery, research mono vision (or Presby (sp?) Vision)
I hate having to put on reading glasses more than I hated wearing regular glasses.
But damn it's nice being able to wake up and see the alarm clock.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

fiance did it about 3 years ago, lasikmd down on adelaide/bay.

night vision took a hit and she has minor halos, but she's much happier coming from full on glasses/contacts since a kid. (37 now).

She did the $4k for lifetime touch ups.

Did my surgery about 20 years ago . Best money spent .

Back
Top Bottom