Anybody tired of the Teacher's Strikes? | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anybody tired of the Teacher's Strikes?

Ok wait a minute, anyone past 20 years to the present that entered the education system knows the good, bad and ugly so, they go in very well aware of the total compensation. It’s not a mystery.

And it’s the unions job to advocate for more.

But the government was elected to rein in the continued increases.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The education system has gone very downhill, no OAC, courses aren't available in so many schools...

The Union is advocating for many other changes, compensation is just the only item I see in the news.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

The only legal grievance teachers have is their pay.

If they feel it really is unfair then by all means. What if it ain't but they know can get away with more? What then?

I tend to think there’s no smoke without fire. Especially as the alternative is a mass conspiracy to screw everyone out of as much cash as possible.

The education system has gone very downhill, no OAC, courses aren't available in so many schools...

The Union is advocating for many other changes, compensation is just the only item I see in the news.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

think I agree with that decison, to get rid of the fifth year
but more importantly to do away with the 2 streams

back then your 8th grade teacher got to decide your future
didn't like you? janitor
easy to teach? Engineer

that and between the ages of 14 and 18
who TF knows themselves and what they want to do?

think I agree with that decison, to get rid of the fifth year
but more importantly to do away with the 2 streams

back then your 8th grade teacher got to decide your future
didn't like you? janitor
easy to teach? Engineer

that and between the ages of 14 and 18
who TF knows themselves and what they want to do?
I think they still have the streams, they just relabeled them. When I went to school they had basic, general and advanced, now they have fundamentals, applied and academic streams.

Ladies and gents, there are many posts with numbers and data and calculations, but no real source.

Please post the source of the info. It will make you more credible.

Or if you are posting calculations (about salary, hours, etc.) you made on a napkin, please say so.

Ladies and gents, there are many posts with numbers and data and calculations, but no real source.

Please post the source of the info. It will make you more credible.

Or if you are posting calculations (about salary, hours, etc.) you made on a napkin, please say so.
The 60K average salary number that floats around is well and truly busted. (Although I personally did not contact these organizations so there is a chance this website is also distorting the truth, but it seems like they have done a more thorough job fact-checking than most other sources).

Contacted by AFP, the Ontario Ministry of Education stated that the average provincially funded teacher salary was Cad$90,469 in 2018-2019, and Cad$92,913 for high school teachers. These numbers are based on the salary grids as reported by school boards for this year.

“The average was calculated by taking the funded salary on each cell of the grid weighted by the number of full-time equivalent teachers on each cell of the grid,” Ingrid Anderson, a spokesperson for the ministry, told AFP in an email.

Pierre Côté, general secretary for the OSSTF, said that the average salary for members of his union was Cad$87,000, a number based on union fee data.

A representative for the Association des enseignantes et enseignants franco-ontariens (AEFO), another large teachers’ union in Ontario, told AFP that the average yearly salary for teachers in the province was Cad$87,940.

The 60K average salary number that floats around is well and truly busted. (Although I personally did not contact these organizations so there is a chance this website is also distorting the truth, but it seems like they have done a more thorough job fact-checking than most other sources).

Contacted by AFP, the Ontario Ministry of Education stated that the average provincially funded teacher salary was Cad$90,469 in 2018-2019, and Cad$92,913 for high school teachers. These numbers are based on the salary grids as reported by school boards for this year.

“The average was calculated by taking the funded salary on each cell of the grid weighted by the number of full-time equivalent teachers on each cell of the grid,” Ingrid Anderson, a spokesperson for the ministry, told AFP in an email.

Pierre Côté, general secretary for the OSSTF, said that the average salary for members of his union was Cad$87,000, a number based on union fee data.

A representative for the Association des enseignantes et enseignants franco-ontariens (AEFO), another large teachers’ union in Ontario, told AFP that the average yearly salary for teachers in the province was Cad$87,940.
yep, just like I stated earlier $92xxx per year.
Funny how they tried to claim $32xxx less and the public is so dumb they fall for these stunts, just like when they coincidently always seem to be interviewing a teacher supporter on the radio. If I didnt know any better I would assume they have 100% of the general public support.

They claim it was a mistake. How could anybody think it would be a good idea googling "teacher salary" and taking the figure from some self-reporting, small sample sized US website whose salaries are in USD. Either completely incompetent or trying to pull a fast one...

I have a curiosity, thanks @GreyGhost for sharing that link.

One of the contentions are the the class sizes, from 22.5 students to 25, they say it is too much.
How do class sizes get figured out?
Doesn't it depend on enrolment, it's quite possible it could be lower then 22 students, or well exceed 22 students and they need to schedule in another spot in the subject, grade etc.

I have a curiosity, thanks @GreyGhost for sharing that link.

One of the contentions are the the class sizes, from 22.5 students to 25, they say it is too much.
How do class sizes get figured out?
Doesn't it depend on enrolment, it's quite possible it could be lower then 22 students, or well exceed 22 students and they need to schedule in another spot in the subject, grade etc.
What I have read (and sorry MS I haven't seen an official source) is that they are calculating average class sizes by dividing the students by the number of classes. A global average that may not represent any real class. This is why some subjects are being cut as any class with an expected enrollment of <25 drives up the class sizes of other classes. For some subjects, apparently (again, I haven't seen a non-biased source), classes can approach 40 students with one teacher.

Averages suck. Make a ratio like in daycare. One teach can handle xx to xx students (probably 20 to 30). If there are 31 students, they need to spin up another class.

Child free now and forever and loving it for many reasons but this is the icing on the cake!

Back
Top Bottom