Anybody tired of the Teacher's Strikes? | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anybody tired of the Teacher's Strikes?

I mean, I do make a decent living but maybe I should've tried becoming a teacher.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Then why so many complainers here not going into teaching to reap these massive unfair rewards if it’s so easy. Truly a conundrum no?
Because I dont want to be part of the problem. I do what I can to minimize my burden on taxpayers.

Because I dont want to be part of the problem. I do what I can to minimize my burden on taxpayers.

Come on. What else can we complain about? Doctors wages too maybe?

I have no kids but I don’t begrudge people earning a decent wage for something I’d never want to do in a million years but that is important for society nonetheless. Again, if it’s such a cushy number I’m seriously wondering why every complainer isn’t on the gravy train. The real reason why is something both you and I know.

The system isn’t perfect. I have plenty of issues with the education system. It’s not totally broken though, it’s way better than what there is to the south.

I have no kids but I don’t begrudge people earning a decent wage for something I’d never want to do in a million years but that is important for society nonetheless. Again, if it’s such a cushy number I’m seriously wondering why every complainer isn’t on the gravy train. The real reason why is something both you and I know.

The system isn’t perfect. I have plenty of issues with the education system. It’s not totally broken though, it’s way better than what there is to the south.
I'm not sure someone's pay should be determined because someone else wouldn't want to do that job in a million years. Lots of jobs I wouldn't want to do. Doesn't mean those are not good occupations or worth more. Just not for me.

Last edited:
I'm not sure someone's pay should be determined because someone else wouldn't want to do that job in a million years. Lots of jobs I wouldn't want to do. Doesn't mean those are not good occupations or worth more. Just not for me.

Not only would not, but plenty here could not. That’s the main difference.

Again, if it’s such a cushy number I’m seriously wondering why every complainer isn’t on the gravy train. The real reason why is something both you and I know.
There are plenty of complainers on the gravy train... hence the reason why we hear about teacher strikes for more money every year.

There are plenty of complainers on the gravy train... hence the reason why we hear about teacher strikes for more money every year.

Doctors recently did the same thing. I hear about the same issues from nurses too. Maybe there’s a theme.

Not only would not, but plenty here could not. That’s the main difference.
That could be said for so many jobs. Certainly not exclusive to teaching.

The doctors was a bit different, there is a ceiling max they can bill to OHIP if I understand it and they couldn't make more money working harder.

The nurses in Oakville hospital were the last holdouts in the province. nurses aids, porters ect were all union, the RN's were not. The union was kept at bay as everything all the other hospitals got, they also recieved, sometimes it took 6 months and you got a retroactive cashout. Enough new staff drank the coolaid, I worked at XX and it was so much better. You can get a nurses union in with a 55%? vote but to get it out takes a 75% vote? really weird ratios. However they got the union in, now make less money (were the highest paid in the province with no union fees), cant strike anyway being 'essential' and things are NOT better in there.

I have a few friends that are teachers, I tease them about needing better winter boots to stand around outside, they tease me that they have the option to stand around outside , not deal with kids and then get a raise. The retired ones in my social circle are just happy as heck with the retirement teaching provides, the working ones in our group use the system as allowed. They take days off for thier own kids rep hockey, we went to FLA before C'mas, two teachers with us had no issue taking a last work day off to avoid the airport rush. Some of them know they have a good thing going. And if we could swing it, many of us would be on the same wagon.

I have no kids in school so the current union shenanigans are not directly impacting me. I am growing increasingly tired of the whining, media coverage, and the 'save the children' message used to camouflage greed.

Do we even need unions anymore?

My kid was home schooled many moons ago so the strike has zero impact on me. If it's not the teachers on strike it will be someone else. Unions have to keep themselves busy otherwise they will become obsolete.

I have a feeling a lot more money could be saved and passed onto the teachers by going after the school boards, I see a fancy electronic sign outside the high school up the street from me, which probably costs 10 of thousands, absolutely no need to blow money on something like that.

People complain about teachers, cops, nurses, but the old saying holds true. You can't judge anyone until you walk a day in their shoes. I would huge money to put with dealing with kids, the sick and criminals as a full time job.

The doctors was a bit different, there is a ceiling max they can bill to OHIP if I understand it and they couldn't make more money working harder.

I believe that's correct
and a big part of the reason it's so hard to get a family physician

mine retired 5 years ago and the new Doc cut the patient list in half
took me 4.5 years to get another one, new guy just didn't want to work

Earning a decent wage is fair. Using an organization to fleece taxpayers into paying double the cost of anything done in the public sector is egregious behaviour.

Imagine if nurses and police decided in their next vote that they wanted parity with teachers annual required work hours (<1000 for high school teachers) at their current rate of pay. Hurray! That could create another 175,000 jobs for Ontarians!
Tell us what you know about education 'down south'? My kids attendee public school in California, when we moved here they were advanced a grade to keep them challenged (one of my kids 2 grades).

Earning a decent wage is fair. Using an organization to fleece taxpayers into paying double the cost of anything done in the public sector is egregious behaviour.

Imagine if nurses and police decided in their next vote that they wanted parity with teachers annual required work hours (<1000 for high school teachers) at their current rate of pay. Hurray! That could create another 175,000 jobs for Ontarians!
Tell us what you know about education 'down south'? My kids attendee public school in California, when we moved here they were advanced a grade to keep them challenged (one of my kids 2 grades).

That’s easy. Any American student in my class has required extra help and generally does not do well in first year. They seem to be about 6 months behind any canadian student. More than likely it’s a syllabus difference in most cases but considering the Canadian students are a year behind any european students that’s quite a difference and puts them at a distinct disadvantage.

That’s easy. Any American student in my class has required extra help and generally does not do well in first year. They seem to be about 6 months behind any canadian student. More than likely it’s a syllabus difference in most cases but considering the Canadian students are a year behind any european students that’s quite a difference and puts them at a distinct disadvantage.
I'm not convinced you can look at the US as an average. I am quite convinced that the majority of US students will be behind, but there are many that are far ahead. I havent seen the chart, but I highly suspect a bimodal distribution with very few students actually existing at the average point. My exposure as a student to a US transfer in grade ~5 (IIRC virginia) was she was well ahead of us and had actually learned some useful things that we never learned in public school at any time.

I'm not convinced you can look at the US as an average. I am quite convinced that the majority of US students will be behind, but there are many that are far ahead. I havent seen the chart, but I highly suspect a bimodal distribution with very few students actually existing at the average point. My exposure as a student to a US transfer in grade ~5 (IIRC virginia) was she was well ahead of us and had actually learned some useful things that we never learned in public school at any time.

Admittedly my sample isn’t the entire American student cohort but it’s a pretty solid sample of students (many come across for various reasons to study in Canada) and it’s been a consistent observation over the years. The difference between Canadian students and European ones is weird though because quite a few European students study in a baccalaureate system that kind of mimics the Canadian system at times.

Edit: Also my observations are based around one of the sciences. Maybe they are well ahead in history etc?

Doctors recently did the same thing. I hear about the same issues from nurses too. Maybe there’s a theme.
comparing nurses with teachers is insulting. There is a shortage of nurses, supply does not meet demand, AND private and union nurses have comparible wages. If a unionized nursing had the same delta between private and public sector as teachers, unionized nurses would make over 180k a year.

I guess my sample is different i had a very large circle of Canadian friends in both California and Texas - I know dozens of parents who came back with kids that either advanced a grade or got moved to enrichment programs. The only challenges my friends complained about was school bordom.

I guess my sample is different i had a very large circle of Canadian friends in both California and Texas - I know dozens of parents who came back with kids that either advanced a grade or got moved to enrichment programs. The only challenges my friends complained about was school bordom.

To be fair what I saw was a little bit like what I generally see with kids that come from the Atlantic provinces only worse. For some reason the students that come from the eastern provinces are also behind by a little bit. Again though, it could easily be just a science thing.

One last thing that is related to this thread. I don’t see that much difference between students from private schools and public schools from Canada in my classes. Parents that have shelled out for expensive educations for their kids don’t like hearing that.

One last thing that is related to this thread. I don’t see that much difference between students from private schools and public schools from Canada in my classes. Parents that have shelled out for expensive educations for their kids don’t like hearing that.

I knew a Christian missionary who pointed out that a lot of people think that the private Christian schools will straighten out their druggie kids. So many think so that a lot of these schools have a higher percentage of problem kids than the secular ones.

Back
Top Bottom