Anybody tired of the Teacher's Strikes? | Page 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anybody tired of the Teacher's Strikes?

Base salary - taking into account inflation isn't even close to being meaningful salary for the nature of the work educators perform, the constraints of budget, resource, and curriculum changes - not to mention the reduction in support for schools, extra-curricular activities, means teachers actual hours spent in & outside the classroom far exceed what most of us 'endure' in a regular 40 hr work-week.

Then why is there a waiting list of people for those base salary jobs?

Some funding and resourcing is not happening and something has to be done.

The sticking point in the negotiations is the extra 1% salary. That's 1%more for the current dues paying members. That works out to $1.5B/year going into the currently working teachers' pockets. If anything, that will push back any increases in funding and resources even further. But again, according to the company (read:union) line, it's all about the children.

1. I have yet to see anything that undeniably demonstrates a correlation between teacher salary and teaching ability. Quite the contrary, if you look up countries with the best education, of the top 10, none have teacher salaries in the top 10. Overpay any profession and you attract people that are only there for the pay, not because they want to be there.

2. Average person works 40 hrs/week for probably 49 weeks/year. That works out to 1960 hours/year. Teachers get 11 weeks of vacation per year which means they only work 41 weeks/year. 1960/41=48 hours/week. Any teacher that claims to work 48 hours every week during the school year is full of $#!T. If school starts at 8:30, it ends at 3:00 which is 6.5 hours. To get to 48 hours per week the teacher would have to be doing an extra almost 3.5 hours every day.

And if the teachers are so hard done by, why do they stay past their retirement to keep teaching?
Because the work is really easy for them. And they only work a few hours a week for a lot of money, and unreal benefits.
My sister was a teacher all her life as was her ex. I saw a lot of ******** side benefits for many years. We don't talk.

A friend commented that as part of the negotiations, birkenstocks will no longer be covered. Wtf!!! Why were they ever covered?

1. I have yet to see anything that undeniably demonstrates a correlation between teacher salary and teaching ability. Quite the contrary, if you look up countries with the best education, of the top 10, none have teacher salaries in the top 10. Overpay any profession and you attract people that are only there for the pay, not because they want to be there.

2. Average person works 40 hrs/week for probably 49 weeks/year. That works out to 1960 hours/year. Teachers get 11 weeks of vacation per year which means they only work 41 weeks/year. 1960/41=48 hours/week. Any teacher that claims to work 48 hours every week during the school year is full of $#!T. If school starts at 8:30, it ends at 3:00 which is 6.5 hours. To get to 48 hours per week the teacher would have to be doing an extra almost 3.5 hours every day.
Teachers are required to work approx 991 hours/year under their contract. The jury is out as to whether they do or don’t, but let’s say they do work the 25% more than required, that brings it up to approx 1250 hours a year as a worst case.

If you normalize that to a 40 hour work week, at minimum it would be 25 weeks at work and 27 paid weeks off. At what they claim to work you can up that to 31 weeks at the office and 21 weeks paid off. You can add another 10 days off for some high school teachers depending on their subjects and school.

I printing that on the protest sign I’m wearing to school next week.

Honestly, looking at the classrooms and kids i had to deal with in MY time, i would need the freaking summer to recover.

With the CURRENT generation of kids, all the individual education plans (you heard about IEPs right?!) that have to be followed for each child with one, special needs within the class and lack of support... i'd need the summer and a few cases of wine to be able to deal with it.

And i don't know that i'd want someone inexperienced with the delivery of the curriculum to have to deal with not only that but all the extra snowflakery happening in the classroom these days.

Although i'm a man of patience, i doubt that i'd have enough to deal with a full classroom. And they do that all year

And if the teachers are so hard done by, why do they stay past their retirement to keep teaching?
Because some people like what they do? The older you get the more efficient you get at teaching. The better you get at identifying was to teach a subject more efficiently. Like most jobs. My wife's uncle who quit school to provide for the family started cutting wood to heat up their homes, out all day cutting wood since he's been a teenager. In his late 60s, he's more efficient and better than a lot of 40-50 year old's at doing it because he's just that much more efficient.

And keeping the mind busy, having a purpose is how you fight aging the best.

Honestly, looking at the classrooms and kids i had to deal with in MY time, i would need the freaking summer to recover.

With the CURRENT generation of kids, all the individual education plans (you heard about IEPs right?!) that have to be followed for each child with one, special needs within the class and lack of support... i'd need the summer and a few cases of wine to be able to deal with it.

And i don't know that i'd want someone inexperienced with the delivery of the curriculum to have to deal with not only that but all the extra snowflakery happening in the classroom these days.

Although i'm a man of patience, i doubt that i'd have enough to deal with a full classroom. And they do that all year
If it was such a stressful job the turnover would be massive.
If it was such a stressful job there wouldnt be thousands of young teachers waiting in the wings.
If it was such a stressful job teachers would actually retire with full pension at the earliest date of eligibility.

Where do you think snowflakery originated? In our education system that's where.

Finally - take a macro-view of the impact of a reduction in the quality of education a child receives here ... is it any wonder why children that are raised in other countries come better prepared, educated and qualified to assume higher quality jobs ?
The best prepared, educated and qualified high school students come from China, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong etc
Do teachers compensation in those countries exceed Ontarios?
Is more money spent on education per capita there?
Maybe its to do with culture. Its shameful to be bad at school in Asia.

fully loaded costs are not at issue.

Base salary - taking into account inflation isn't even close to being meaningful salary for the nature of the work educators perform, the constraints of budget, resource, and curriculum changes - not to mention the reduction in support for schools, extra-curricular activities, means teachers actual hours spent in & outside the classroom far exceed what most of us 'endure' in a regular 40 hr work-week.
My buddy is a public sector teacher, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. The comp package is Gold, its why people are willing to supply for years and why noone wants to retire. He does not work 40 hours a week and I dont think he ever has.
Its such a stressful and time consuming job he has time for another part time job for his "play money".

He freely admits its a cushy awesome gig and we have laughed at all the whiners that he works with.
Funny thing is "online" he has a different persona. He has to keep the image that he is in support of the union so I see him posting Doug Ford memes and arguing with people.

They dont teach from 8:30 to 3 though.
School typically starts at 8:45 and ends at 2:45.
IIRC 4x 80 minute classes with 10 min between each. Teachers teach 3 classes. So 4 hours per day of actual teaching.

They dont teach from 8:30 to 3 though.
School typically starts at 8:45 and ends at 2:45.
IIRC 4x 80 minute classes with 10 min between each. Teachers teach 3 classes. So 4 hours per day of actual teaching.
What is your point? or is it just a complaint?

I wouldn't want to sit in an office all day staring at a screen, does that mean every secretary deserves to be paid $85k/year?

Sounds like you're equating the work of a secretary with that of someone who has to teach/raise/herd a couple dozen unruly little humans? Come on now.

$85k is not a lot of money for a job that requires a university degree. And starting salaries are significantly lower than that.

Not saying their working conditions aren't better than average, but their income ceiling is quite low. I've worked with entry-level software developers who started above $85k.

@Matt Rain just an FYI, it's actually 2 degrees so 6 years of university to become a teacher in Ontario...and starting salary for those that can get a permanent position right after graduation is around $45,000...new grads generally have to supply for anywhere from 3-5 years if not longer, depending on their credentials and where they live...

Back
Top Bottom