Anybody tired of the Teacher's Strikes? | Page 10 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anybody tired of the Teacher's Strikes?

Well the government closed schools, made mandatory online courses to save money. For some reason that's not the topic of discussion... so is this good or bad for students?

Remember when the policy changes first happened and THE STUDENTS went on strike? They've given up.

This unusual time, teachers pick up the torch from kids.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Well the government closed schools, made mandatory online courses to save money. For some reason that's not the topic of discussion... so is this good or bad for students?

Remember when the policy changes first happened and THE STUDENTS went on strike? They've given up.

And you don’t think the kids were influenced by the teachers to walk out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And you don’t think the kids were influenced by the teachers to walk out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hope so.

Teachers shouldn't just deliver subject material, but help parents raise critically thinking, non-complacent, morally decent young human. Ideally, without the need to resort to religion.
Teachers should be telling students to "do something", I don't know if they added "go strike" or "go write a letter", of anything at all.

Regardless of an individual teacher's ulterior motives, that student strike was meant to open the eyes of the adults who have the vote, because the students don't.

It even seemed to work for about a month and all the adults forgot, just like every other piece of news.

-10°. -17° windchill. Nice day to stand outside and chant lies slogans.

My teacher friend loves this stike right now , by 2pm yesterday she was halfway to her cottage.

My teacher friend loves this stike right now , by 2pm yesterday she was halfway to her cottage.

Exactly. If they were actually serious about the "think of the children" propaganda and not the extra 1% they'd all be on the picket lines.

Gotta think positive. I have spent a lot more time with my grandkids. (Jk and grade 2) The 4 year old little guy has too much time on his hands. He went around the school and told everyone that mommy is having a baby. Hahahaha.
Back on topic. Teachers can go piss up a tree.

Exactly. If they were actually serious about the "think of the children" propaganda and not the extra 1% they'd all be on the picket lines.
Indoctrinating the ranks into the cult and constantly reinforcing "we do too much for too little" gets you a workforce that wont show up for more than three hours for their measly $75. Much of the population would be happy with $75 for a full days work (once you include job security, pension and benefits).

The teachers have no credibility blaming Doug Ford for this they have gone on strike under every government , NDP Conservative , liberals .
teachers have never had a pay cut even in the financial crisis, they are a bunch of whiners controlled by their union. This action is only to keep the union relevant.

The teachers have no credibility blaming Doug Ford for this they have gone on strike under every government , NDP Conservative , liberals .
teachers have never had a pay cut even in the financial crisis, they are a bunch of whiners controlled but their union. This action is only to keep the union relevant.
The unions are elected and controlled by it's members. It's too easy for the teachers and media to say "it's the unions". As the late Christie Blatchford said. We get the government we deserve.

What make you think online learning is just to save money? It may well be a benefit, but it's pretty narrow thinking to say it's all about money.

Universities, private institutions and industry all utilize on-line learning because to the learning advantages more than the cost. On-line instruction offers a lot of flexibility in scheduling, allowes for slower paced learners to take the instruction at a rate they can process, allows for curated content (expert content) that the average teacher is not equipped to deliver, seamlessly integrates animations dn video to illustrate points that are hard to deliver in instructor led training.... i could go on but by now you should get the point.

Teachers only concern is that it takes fewer teachers to deliver virtual training. They are deaf to the user benefits.

The government should get together with the reps from all the boards' unions. Everyone together in one room.

Then slit their throats.

Teachers are not paid enough and should take whatever steps needed to better their outlook for the benefit of our future generations.

The impact of not doing anything means ultimately children will suffer greater in the long run.

Education is the greatest gift a child will realize - outside the influence of parents - during formative years.

Whether you have kids or not, children are the future leaders and community constituents - investment in everything that can make them be the best possible should be thought of as a fundamental and basic necessity.

The unions are elected and controlled by it's members. It's too easy for the teachers and media to say "it's the unions". As the late Christie Blatchford said. We get the government we deserve.
Well, maybe you can say that to explain how we got to where we are today. But if you look at the current situation you have to say it's the unions.

Unions were born out os a system that enslaved and abused workers. As a means to uplift the 'worker' gov't allowed workforces to band together to self determine their value as a workforce and force a more equitable distribution of wealth between owners and workers. In the case of PSUs, they move into public policy and politics, one should question whether of not collective bargaining should have limits on what's 'in the deal'.

Personally I elect a government to determine how public education is administered in Ontario. I don't / can't elect a union and quite frankly I don't want a union doing my bidding when it comes to operating and directing public education.

I think it's time for sweeping changes to regulating PSUs. When companies get to big and monopolize a market the gov't steps in and forces changes. It's time thy took the same approach to PSUs.

Teachers are not paid enough and should take whatever steps needed to better their outlook for the benefit of our future generations.

The impact of not doing anything means ultimately children will suffer greater in the long run.

Education is the greatest gift a child will realize - outside the influence of parents - during formative years.

Whether you have kids or not, children are the future leaders and community constituents - investment in everything that can make them be the best possible should be thought of as a fundamental and basic necessity.
Public school teachers workload is approx 1250 hours a year, compared to 2000 for a teacher in a private school. With an average salary of 92K and a benefits package worth 25K that's about $93/hr vs $55/hr for a non unionized teacher working at a non unionized accredited institution. Imagine if that teacher did work 2000hrs like most of us -- the comp packahe would be $93@2000hrs = $186K

Since the last i posted on here a lot has happened.

So we've had to have my kid switch schools.
And i know 2 other parents in that class,personally, who've done the same thing.

Why you ask? Because my kids been punched, kicked, run after with scissors in an attempt to hurt her, run after with scissors in an attempt to cut her hair and had a chair thrown at her that she had to dodge. That's on top of the class evacuations that happen at a minimum once every 2 weeks (sometimes happens weekly). On top of another kid now having to do therapy after he was strangled in that class as he now gets night terrors over it. All this is happening because the teacher doesn't have enough support for the several kids that need special attention in class. Whether it be adhd, being on the spectrum, having hearing issues, learning disabilities, they're all in the same melting pot without additional full-time support.
So they don't currently have enough funding to have at least one full time EA in that class all year long even though 1/4 of the class has special needs. I've jokingly started punching my wife on the shoulder at random telling her "she's not ready for grade 1" because that's how ridiculous it feels

So the solution here was to transfer her to a school where this currently isn't an issue, that came after several escalations, documenting the incidents we were able to record by parents sharing notes and meeting with the superintendent quite a few times (as the principal was choosing inaction).
And from what i've learned, it's happening in more classes than we'd expect...i don't think it should be a normal occurrence for a 6 y old. I mean any of that in a workplace would get you fired. But it's fine in a learning environment? She went from crying to NOT leave her friends in October when we asked how she felt about maybe changing school (after the strangulation incident) to asking us to be taken out of the class.

Some funding and resourcing is not happening and something has to be done.

fully loaded costs are not at issue.

Base salary - taking into account inflation isn't even close to being meaningful salary for the nature of the work educators perform, the constraints of budget, resource, and curriculum changes - not to mention the reduction in support for schools, extra-curricular activities, means teachers actual hours spent in & outside the classroom far exceed what most of us 'endure' in a regular 40 hr work-week.

Finally - take a macro-view of the impact of a reduction in the quality of education a child receives here ... is it any wonder why children that are raised in other countries come better prepared, educated and qualified to assume higher quality jobs ?

If our young generation is to have the best opportunity to contribute to the future global economies of tomorrow, we should recognize that impeding their access to highly qualified, well paid, and adequately compensated educators is part of package. Cheap out on this, and our communities and local workforce should not surprise anyone when it is made of people better educated and prepared for the jobs of tomorrow -

take the long view on this one ... for the benefit of those that will come after us, and for your own benefit as you age and become more reliant on those 'kids' that will come up through the years having been educated and making decisions that will affect your future. An educated population can vote, discern and think critically, and be in the best position to make meaningful inputs to policy decisions, innovate and draw from history.

Educators at all levels are a critical piece of our overall success as a community ... and simply can't be short-changed without long-term consequences. Taking a stand for their best interests means an investment beyond their contributions ... that will pay dividends long into future after they are gone.

OSSTA has spent $352,975 just on Facebook ads since June. But it's all about not enough money for education.

fully loaded costs are not at issue.

Base salary - taking into account inflation isn't even close to being meaningful salary for the nature of the work educators perform, the constraints of budget, resource, and curriculum changes - not to mention the reduction in support for schools, extra-curricular activities, means teachers actual hours spent in & outside the classroom far exceed what most of us 'endure' in a regular 40 hr work-week.

Finally - take a macro-view of the impact of a reduction in the quality of education a child receives here ... is it any wonder why children that are raised in other countries come better prepared, educated and qualified to assume higher quality jobs ?

If our young generation is to have the best opportunity to contribute to the future global economies of tomorrow, we should recognize that impeding their access to highly qualified, well paid, and adequately compensated educators is part of package. Cheap out on this, and our communities and local workforce should not surprise anyone when it is made of people better educated and prepared for the jobs of tomorrow -

take the long view on this one ... for the benefit of those that will come after us, and for your own benefit as you age and become more reliant on those 'kids' that will come up through the years having been educated and making decisions that will affect your future. An educated population can vote, discern and think critically, and be in the best position to make meaningful inputs to policy decisions, innovate and draw from history.

Educators at all levels are a critical piece of our overall success as a community ... and simply can't be short-changed without long-term consequences. Taking a stand for their best interests means an investment beyond their contributions ... that will pay dividends long into future after they are gone.
This post is so whack im going to have a few more beers, then respond after a steak dinner at the Keg.

Back
Top Bottom