Anybody tired of the Teacher's Strikes? | Page 12 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anybody tired of the Teacher's Strikes?

I think Doug should cave and give them everything they want on a 2 year contract in exchange for one thing — all contracts expire end of June 2022.

Sounds like you're equating the work of a secretary with that of someone who has to teach/raise/herd a couple dozen unruly little humans? Come on now.

$85k is not a lot of money for a job that requires a university degree. And starting salaries are significantly lower than that.

Not saying their working conditions aren't better than average, but their income ceiling is quite low. I've worked with entry-level software developers who started above $85k.
Firstly, I wasn't equating anything other than the reference to your comment that because you don't want to do something, then those that do should be grossly overpaid.

Secondly, the vast majority of jobs that require a university degree are entry level jobs, with entry level incomes. Very, very few private sector jobs pay the incomes that seasoned teachers make without having management level positions and responsibilities tied to them. Fun fact, managers are not only NOT entitled to overtime, but, they are also managers for more than nine months of the year.

Sounds like you're equating the work of a secretary with that of someone who has to teach/raise/herd a couple dozen unruly little humans? Come on now.

$85k is not a lot of money for a job that requires a university degree. And starting salaries are significantly lower than that.

Not saying their working conditions aren't better than average, but their income ceiling is quite low. I've worked with entry-level software developers who started above $85k.
The median salary in Canada is what $50K? What percentage of the working population has a university degree.. 40%? Median salary of an Ontario public teacher is 90K which is the top 15-17% of all workers.

Software dev is a niche highly sought after skill. The market decides how much they get paid. Its the reason top developers/engineers get recruited by silicon valley and the good ones make 200-500K USD after only a couple of years.
How much money do you think a good coder is worth to a FAANG company? They are worth millions. Unlike educators which provide a service which doesnt bring in any revenue.

@Matt Rain just an FYI, it's actually 2 degrees so 6 years of university to become a teacher in Ontario...and starting salary for those that can get a permanent position right after graduation is around $45,000...new grads generally have to supply for anywhere from 3-5 years if not longer, depending on their credentials and where they live...
Then let the free market decide the compensation and you wont have new grads waiting 5 years.
Plenty of teachers in Ontario do not have 6 years fyi. The vast majority have 3-5, my buddy had 2 years of college and 8 months of teachers college.
When he was hired to teach tech they gave him 5 years on the grid immediately.

@K20EF8 tech is a different animal...3-5 years is only for teachers that are currently in their 50s...any new (and I'm talking within the last 20 years) need a BA and a BEd...also, median salary is NOT $90,000...try looking up a salary grid and figure out the median...it's more around the $60,000 mark...

i don't understand all the hate towards teachers (and i'm not directing this to you directly), just in general...everyone makes a choice in life and people should be happy with their choices...if not, then make a change, go get a BA and a BEd, put in the time as a supply and then wait 12-15 years to make top wage...

@K20EF8 tech is a different animal...3-5 years is only for teachers that are currently in their 50s...any new (and I'm talking within the last 20 years) need a BA and a BEd...also, median salary is NOT $90,000...try looking up a salary grid and figure out the median...it's more around the $60,000 mark...
You are 100% wrong, maybe you should look up the salary grid, understand what a median is and that 75% of all teachers are at the top of the grid.
Median high school is 93K, elementary is 88K.

My buddy started teaching 7 years ago, he is 37, he has 2 years college and 8 months teachers college.

i don't understand all the hate towards teachers (and i'm not directing this to you directly), just in general...everyone makes a choice in life and people should be happy with their choices...if not, then make a change, go get a BA and a BEd, put in the time as a supply and then wait 12-15 years to make top wage...
People hate on them because they are constantly striking, because they feel entitled and many are out of touch with reality.
Most teachers have never worked in other jobs or fields.
They would get a dose of reality and would be begging to go back to teaching if they worked private sector jobs like everyone else.

Know how delusional they can be? Ive seen them claim that we shouldnt consider the 8 weeks summer vacation they get as time off because they dont actually get paid in those two months.

They constantly claim its not about them, its about the children. Which is a bold faced lie.

They indoctrinate children into writing to our premier.

Their unions rig/social-engineer TV, radio interviews etc into tricking the public to believe that the majority of people support the teachers.

Last edited:

Teachers require a 3 year degree and 4 semesters of teacher's college today - they do not require a BEd.

Median salary is not the average from the salary grid, it's the average from the payroll. Teachers spend very little time on the entry part of the pay scale, 70% of their career will be at the top level of the grid which makes the Ontario number $93K. Don't forget there is another $23K or so in benefits.

Teachers require a 3 year degree and 4 semesters of teacher's college today - they do not require a BEd.

Median salary is not the average from the salary grid, it's the average from the payroll. Teachers spend very little time on the entry part of the pay scale, 70% of their career will be at the top level of the grid which makes the Ontario number $93K. Don't forget there is another $23K or so in benefits.
Maybe median should be on Douggies math test for all teachers? Instead of recreating the wheel, they could pull from an existing data set ;) It would be interesting to see what the results of that question would be.

Don't forget there is another $23K or so in benefits.

And the backing of one of the strongest unions in the country. A buddy of mine was a letter carrier. He use to joke that he could kill his supervisor and he'd be back on the job the day after he got parole........just don't steal the mail. The steward would be part of the posse tossing you out the door. The teachers' union is the same. You pretty much have to have molested an under age child to get fired. As I've said before, the only teacher I know personally has been in the rubber room 3 times (shock therapy the last time). Each time the union fought to have him back in the classroom. Somewhere in this province there's a person with well documented mental issues teaching grade 5 children.

Sam Hammond just gave quite a good press briefing. Unlike many politicians (Lecce and Trudeau come quickly to mind), he didn't dodge and weave and just make you want to punch him and ignore everything coming out of their mouths. In short, no ETFO strikes for the next two weeks.

People hate on them because they are constantly striking....

Ever notice that each and every single time their contracts expire they strike? Every 3 or 4 years.. guaranteed strike. Only good thing is that the traffic in KW drops significantly for the first week 'cause hapless parents can't go to work (and lose their own pay) because they're figuring out how to get childcare.

Ever notice that each and every single time their contracts expire they strike? Every 3 or 4 years.. guaranteed strike. Only good thing is that the traffic in KW drops significantly for the first week 'cause hapless parents can't go to work (and lose their own pay) because they're figuring out how to get childcare.
They haven't been on strike in 20 years.

In KW....where he lives....he mentioned the traffic.....when was there a strike in the last 20 years(by the teachers who "always" strike)? Read the article.

Can't. The Star sucks. I refuse to visit any site that buries content behind a paywall.

In KW....where he lives....he mentioned the traffic.....when was there a strike in the last 20 years(by the teachers who "always" strike)? Read the article.
There was a strike in 2015 or does it not count because every single teacher in the province wasnt part of it?

Back
Top Bottom