Any members here that have sleds too? | Page 18 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any members here that have sleds too?

You went from one sled with a busted crank to one that's known notoriously to have crank issues.

Trails at my door are in great shape and I did another 250km today. Lots more snow on the way later this week so I'll be riding every day.
them old triples are known for the cranks going out of phase

We're getting slammed with snow this week which is great. I managed 1000km last week and I should be able to do the same this week. The 5.7R race skis are awesome but too aggressive for the wifes sled at her slow pace so if anyone wants to trade a set of standard 5.7.

We're getting slammed with snow this week which is great. I managed 1000km last week and I should be able to do the same this week. The 5.7R race skis are awesome but too aggressive for the wifes sled at her slow pace so if anyone wants to trade a set of standard 5.7.
what does those skis fit?

what does those skis fit?
They fit up to the current '21 models and will fit everything back to including XP models. Not sure about other brands so you'd have to look into that.

Who's riding vintage? Myself and couple of buddies all have 1980 Kawasaki sleds. We all have Invaders. These are the daily drivers - no modern stuff.
I've seen more sleds on the trails EACH time I've been out this year than I have in the entire season before.

Who's riding vintage? Myself and couple of buddies all have 1980 Kawasaki sleds. We all have Invaders. These are the daily drivers - no modern stuff.
I've seen more sleds on the trails EACH time I've been out this year than I have in the entire season before.
I like the old iron, i'm in the D9 area and the amount of sleds riding here is crazy. the groomer barely gets a chance to smooth it out.

my new arctic cat started leaking oil last weak, arctic tech said it should not be stored in heated storage cause the oil separator valve freezes up and fills the air box. seems like a faulty design

My oldest sled is a 1997 Skandic, but my Dad still rides his 1970 Ski Doo Olympic that he bought brand new in '69:

damn .. almost at 3000 k for the season. Hopefully headed northwards next week for a few more thousand k.
You're doing well. I took a friend's dads ATV for a spin two summers ago and realized that it had 800 km on it and is about 12 years old. I was probably riding it for half of those km's. Now, it caps out at 63 mph and handling is very uninspiring at that point so it is hard to rack up miles quickly but still, the poor thing.

My oldest sled is a 1997 Skandic, but my Dad still rides his 1970 Ski Doo Olympic that he bought brand new in '69:

I can smell that video...and it smells like good memories from long ago. I'd pay good money for a ride on that old girl - my dad had one of those as well.

I can smell that video...and it smells like good memories from long ago. I'd pay good money for a ride on that old girl - my dad had one of those as well.
LOL, come back after 10min smelling like gas that puking out the carb. or when the plastic latch breaks that holds the cover on and then the carb sucks your sled suit in and kills it. Fun times for sure

I think I posted this old girl at some point in this thread years ago....

1613870805142.png

1986 Polaris Indy 600 Limited. My dad bought it brand new in fall 1985. From what I can find only a few hundred were ever made so they're a pretty rare sled now. Heck, they were rare *then* - we only ever saw one other, ever.

Had a 650 red-head donor engine put in it from a 89 sometime around 1999 as the crank went out of phase on the original 600 and it was holing pistons. It was the last mechanical job me and my old man ever did together, and she was a runner again for a season.

Has been in my garage since 2001 and hasn't run of even seen sunlight since around 2002 - haven't even peeked under the cover. I can only see one ski really where it sits buried in my garage and the Chrome has suffered. Engine and fuel system as a whole probably need to be gutted and redone, but fack, who knows...it may be a runner. Pretty sure I at least ran it dry before I put it away so the carbs may be crusty but shouldn't be gummed up.

Then again it could be a giant mouse nest under the hood. It's anyones guess.

Anyone want it as a project? I just need to get past the sentimental value on this thing and move on as I could really use the space in the garage and it's just sitting and collecting dust...literally. Free for the taking to anyone who promises to at least make her run again and let me take her out for a ride for a few minutes in memory of my Dad. He'd have liked that.

I have the ownership and even the original manual.

LOL, come back after 10min smelling like gas that puking out the carb. or when the plastic latch breaks that holds the cover on and then the carb sucks your sled suit in and kills it. Fun times for sure

Yep, I still remember my old man holding a red shop rag over the carb to choke it all while pulling on the recoil. And then...the smoke. Used to open the doors at both ends of our boathouse at the cottage and even then you could barely see your hand in front of your face until it was running and you got it outside.

Good times.

View attachment 47109

1986 Polaris Indy 600 Limited. My dad bought it brand new in fall 1985. From what I can find only a few hundred were ever made so they're a pretty rare sled now. Heck, they were rare *then* - we only ever saw one other, ever.

Had a 650 red-head donor engine put in it from a 89 sometime around 1999 as the crank went out of phase on the original 600 and it was holing pistons. It was the last mechanical job me and my old man ever did together, and she was a runner again for a season.

Has been in my garage since 2001 and hasn't run of even seen sunlight since around 2002 - haven't even peeked under the cover. I can only see one ski really where it sits buried in my garage and the Chrome has suffered. Engine and fuel system as a whole probably need to be gutted and redone, but fack, who knows...it may be a runner. Pretty sure I at least ran it dry before I put it away so the carbs may be crusty but shouldn't be gummed up.

Anyone want it as a project? I just need to get past the sentimental value on this thing and move on as I could really use the space in the garage and it's just sitting and collecting dust...literally. Free for the taking to anyone who promises to at least make her run again and let me take her out for a ride for a few minutes in memory of my Dad. He'd have liked that.

We had this conversation awhile back.
I said i would take it and get it running.

Then what ever I have into it i would sell it back to you.

If you didn’t want it back i would keep as a classic. Seen lots of older iron running the trails this yr

We had this conversation awhile back.
I said i would take it and get it running.

I forget, guess I should check my PM's and re-read things.

The sentimental value is blinding me with this old girl....but I think it's time. PM me again.

View attachment 47109

Would be very interested let me know I was thinking a sled would be fun to poke around the back 40 could make the 5 year old help.

Sent from my couch using my thumbs

Would be very interested let me know I was thinking a sled would be fun to poke around the back 40 could make the 5 year old help.

Sent from my couch using my thumbs

You might want to consider a wide track or at least a long track for poking around off-trail - I love those old indy's but they are soooooo easy to get stuck. I had one that I used to loan to buddies but I eventually sold it because I ended up doing this all the time:

Back
Top Bottom