Any members here that have sleds too? | Page 16 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any members here that have sleds too?

Somebody thinks the object of riding snowmobiles is all about going really, really fast :whistle: that won't last very many seasons.

Crashed again last night, didnt square up properly for a snowbank and rolled.

I suck, but learning!

Yeah it's not a race and I am a bit frustrated that I am not so great at this off the bat.

2wheels am fine and quickish but man I cant get over the feeling I am on skates so therefore I am slow and feel pushed to keep up.

Very sore knee today, when I rolled my leg took the brunt of it.
Are you sitting all the time? If attempting dodgy obstacles, I normally have one knee on the seat to make balancing easier and get more leverage on the sled.

Somebody thinks the object of riding snowmobiles is all about going really, really fast :whistle: that won't last very many seasons.
She has a 500, she isnt going really really fast. It does take some time to get used to a 500+lb beast that doesnt behave the same way a bike does.

Speaking of that @Lightcycle are the snowbikes happening this winter?

Crashed again last night, didnt square up properly for a snowbank and rolled.

I suck, but learning!

Yeah it's not a race and I am a bit frustrated that I am not so great at this off the bat.

2wheels am fine and quickish but man I cant get over the feeling I am on skates so therefore I am slow and feel pushed to keep up.

Very sore knee today, when I rolled my leg took the brunt of it.
Don't stress it. You will get the feel for things like that and figure out what you can and can't get away with....it's a little weird switching from bikes to sleds. You ride a sled more like a quad. Like @GreyGhost mentions you will need to sort out how to weight the sled differently depending on the situation.

"feel pushed to keep up" I would say get over that. It's going to be tough to learn feeling panicked and rushing all the time. I think you know that from your track experience. Ride your own ride, if others in the group make you feel like your holding them up it's time for a conversation. I bet they don't care though I know I don't mind waiting at the next stop, turn etc.

You aren't going to keep up with the newer style rider forward sleds on the older chassis sleds in rough trails. It's just not going to happen and it's not your fault so don't worry about it if your riding with people on newer stuff.

"feeling I am on skates" how's your set up looking? Are your carbides (metal runners on the bottom of the skis) in good condition? Studded track? You can play around with the rear suspension to try and get more ski pressure and better bite from the front end. Sleds will always moved around a little bit but with the right set up you should feel pretty locked into the trail.

Exact same advise we give to noobs...ride within your limits...don't push yourself just to keep up!

Glad you're alright after all these incidents.

Carbines are ok and yes studded. Set up.probable could be better but I at this point I dont even know what I'd like it to set to! It's old so yeah I know I can't keep up (nor do i try, they all have 1000+cc

Try, try again! I knew I wouldn't love it like 2wheels am still hopeful. When I grew up sleds were for for ice fishing and really cold days for my paper route

The sled you have probably tops out at 65mph.
Riding a sled is different then riding a bike.
The sled always stays flat unlike a bike that leans into the corner

Get your arse off the set when cornering slide it to the side you are running the sled into so if left turn slide the butt to the left

Any chance any GTAM member in the west end have a puller for the TRA Skidoo clutch for my old dinosaur that I could borrow for a few mins?

Grand Touring 500 clutch no workie

Looks awesome. Does a 250 have enough snot? @Lightcycle played around with them in the past.

There's a kit for a 125, probably a 2x. A guy on Facebook put one on a Harley 750 Street, really flies around with hit. I think my biggest problem would be the dual shock suspension on what appears to be a monoshock design. Can't figure out how the Facebook guy did it. He didn't respond to my query for info. But let's face it, the things look so maneuverable compared to a snowmobile. Less worry about slamming into a tree on the trail.

I was thinking of making a snow bike out of my old Honda 250.

Ronnie Renner Snow Biking in Idaho Backcountry - YouTube
Not to be a Debbie Downer but don’t bother. Not nearly enough power, not legal on trails and I haven’t ridden one but my understanding is they don’t work well on hard pack. More of a back country off trail machine.

Just because someone will sell you a kit to put on a smaller engine bike doesn’t mean it’s a good idea.

Stud the tires and play around on some lakes if you want to get the 250 in the snow.

Not to be a Debbie Downer but don’t bother. Not nearly enough power, not legal on trails and I haven’t ridden one but my understanding is they don’t work well on hard pack. More of a back country off trail machine.

Just because someone will sell you a kit to put on a smaller engine bike doesn’t mean it’s a good idea.

Stud the tires and play around on some lakes if you want to get the 250 in the snow.

Good points. I was thinking, you hit ice or hard snow and you'll go for a tumble.

Just so I’m clear....you can put studded tires on a motorcycle and go ripping on frozen lakes???
What kind of bikes are good for this? Dual sports? Sport? Standard? Scrambler?

Back
Top Bottom