Any members here that have sleds too? | Page 14 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any members here that have sleds too?

For all those that question the utility of a hatchback.

138351999-3781213035302187-8981620867340965857-o.jpg

Not my pic but it does have Ontario plates and is parked in front of a store in Owen Sound.
Looks like this is starting to catch on. Saw this pic posted on FB by muskoka411 today

Attachments

• 10675A04-C6C2-4DF0-B503-99A949B8A674.jpeg
    10675A04-C6C2-4DF0-B503-99A949B8A674.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 20
I just got back from a ski trip in british columbia and I don't know if it was just the area I was in (golden, revelstoke, kelowna) but wow they sure love their snowmobiles. Its like all the guys do is drive around with their 80 thousand dollar trucks and 2 sleds sitting up high on the top of their beds its all I saw all day long. F250 seemed more common than f150's out there. Couldn't believe the money in trucks and huge trailers and sleds.
Before I got back into sledding I was down in Jay, VT snowboarding and I felt like a peasant when I saw the trucks with massive dual-level trailers full of sleds staying at our hotel.

A bunch of us guys used to go for a snowmo week early Feb. every year in St. Zenon PQ. We stayed at a place called Le Cabanon. Place was great with accommodation, full dining room and separate bar area and an indoor pool with hot tub! There were 4 major trails going in all directions right outside the door and even a gas pump at the facility. Hundreds of kms of really well groomed trails.
Had a look earlier this year and of course they're closed due to Covid. This was one of at least a half dozen similar places relying on snowmobilers for their livelihood, not to mention dozens of stand alone restaurants in the area also relying on snowmobile traffic during winter months. Many of the resort owners were also deeply involved in the local clubs who were responsible for grooming and maintenance of the trails - a huge job with so many trails. I don't know if any of the trails are open this year for locals or not. Such a shame to see a whole industry that was such a critical part of the local economy go bust, even if just temporarily due to Covid 19.
Cabanon.jpg

I read they’re closing the trails in North Bay Area due to too many out of towners coming in to sled the trails out there.

Not surprised. Stay home, unless you want to do something, then do that instead.
I’m sure there is good reason but I’m not sure where the COVID risk is in this activity. Sure when you stop and hang out, or have an accident and take up a hospital bed....but I’m not sure.

I’m sure there is good reason but I’m not sure where the COVID risk is in this activity. Sure when you stop and hang out, or have an accident and take up a hospital bed....but I’m not sure.
Agree, but that is the crux of the problem with the messaging. Stay home but go out. Are we staying home except for trips needed to keep us alive (food and drugs), or are we going out and staying away from other people? Douggie can't decide and his policy reflects that. I am super annoyed about gov't picking winners and losers based on god knows what. The suspicion (which afaik has not been confirmed) is that skiing was whacked because collingwood hospital was worried about skiiers needing treatment as well as people travelling to take part. Same arguments work for sleds. Again, easily solved with a geo-restriction. Do what you want near your house, stay away from people.

So I bought sleds and an Ontario trail pass. Plus a double enclosed snowmobile trailer as I KNEW this area sucks for snow.

I figure its like my licence plate sticker. It's good for all ontario...I bought these to go riding elsewhere, just like my trackbike

Saying that I blew the engine on my first time out (crap rebuild, not my fault) and then crashed the second time (my fault, dunno what I am doing but learning what not to do)!

Waiting on parts to fix, play, repeat!

I'm still going to travel for my outdoor activities, just keep the social distance part. Bring my own food, not stay in anyone's homes, etc. I do this now- to go for a run I have to go somewhere else as I live on a major highway. Wtf is the diff?

If I can be told to go to work (and i work in a huge place) then hubby, dog and i can go play by ourselves on the weekends as we usually do.

So I bought sleds and an Ontario trail pass. Plus a double enclosed snowmobile trailer as I KNEW this area sucks for snow.

I figure its like my licence plate sticker. It's good for all ontario...I bought these to go riding elsewhere, just like my trackbike

Saying that I blew the engine on my first time out (crap rebuild, not my fault) and then crashed the second time (my fault, dunno what I am doing but learning what not to do)!

Waiting on parts to fix, play, repeat!

I'm still going to travel for my outdoor activities, just keep the social distance part. Bring my own food, not stay in anyone's homes, etc. I do this now- to go for a run I have to go somewhere else as I live on a major highway. Wtf is the diff?

If I can be told to go to work (and i work in a huge place) then hubby, dog and i can go play by ourselves on the weekends as we usually do.
What sleds did you end up buying?
I live on the trail line now if you'd like me to show you around some of the great local trails when we get some snow.

North bay/parry sound health unit closing all ofsc sled trails on jan 21.

On a related note, My wife was out trail running last weekend and was very unimpressed by a group of a dozen sledders hanging out in a clearing, leaving no space between them and drinking.sadly, the more people dumb, the more the government will restrict activities that could be done safely.

On a related note, My wife was out trail running last weekend and was very unimpressed by a group of a dozen sledders hanging out in a clearing, leaving no space between them and drinking.sadly, the more people dumb, the more the government will restrict activities that could be done safely.
Yeah seen that on another forum

Sledding has been tanking for the last few yrs

Plus they do themselves no favours by being asshatz at every opportunity they get.

I’ve been sledding and volunteer my time for a few yrs

It pisses me off when i hear stories of how sledders disrespect people’s property

I don't doubt it at all. Snowmobiling doesn't bring out the sharpest folks that's for sure.

I didn't buy a trail pass this year expecting closures etc but I'm not sure closing the trails in North Bay/Parry Sound is the right answer. I know the idea is to stop the spread and keep people from travelling to the area. The North Bay Parry Sound health unit only has 7 cases currently though. Doubt the business' up that way are all that thrilled with the lost revenue from this. COVID-19 Cases - North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit (myhealthunit.ca)

Hope the ice is safe soon to get a little riding in for break from this covid stuff.

Yeah seen that on another forum

Sledding has been tanking for the last few yrs

Plus they do themselves no favours by being asshatz at every opportunity they get.

I’ve been sledding and volunteer my time for a few yrs

It pisses me off when i hear stories of how sledders disrespect people’s property

I want to play off trail as much as the next person. Actually I can spend a whole day in a frozen swamp playing around. But nothing irritates me more then people that ride off trail on private property.

Last edited:
What sleds did you end up buying?
I live on the trail line now if you'd like me to show you around some of the great local trails when we get some snow.
Thanks!
He got the yami with the R1 engine, older 2006.
I got a polaris 500. Good enough for me. Coming from the track sleds handle like buses and it is a bit terrifying.

Thanks. We will take you up on that as soon as I get the part in and we get snow.

If the trails are open I'm going riding.

I did a trail run down here last weekend (actual running) and I came in close contact with way more people than are normally on the trails.

I think the ice is still too thin for them to use the trail across my place, which is unusual for this time of year,
lake currents and mild temps have made some lakes dangerous, be careful out there.

I think the ice is still too thin for them to use the trail across my place, which is unusual for this time of year,
lake currents and mild temps have made some lakes dangerous, be careful out there.
I read in the news that 4 went through the ice

The one young fella was my two nephew's best friend. They and a lot of other young kids are devastated by the loss. He was a really good kid.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom