Any members here that have sleds too? | Page 25 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any members here that have sleds too?

Nope nope and nope. I don't even think they realized or at least I hope they didn't.

I was solo. Before you berate me realize I have clocked hundreds of thousands of km solo on a bike or in a car.

This is why I pay for all vehicles, and make sure insurance and permits are in order. Never figured this would occur on 1st day.

Sorry to hear that happened, huge bummer banging up the new sled. Hope you heal up quick and glad the injuries weren’t worse.

Nope nope and nope. I don't even think they realized or at least I hope they didn't.

I was solo. Before you berate me realize I have clocked hundreds of thousands of km solo on a bike or in a car.

This is why I pay for all vehicles, and make sure insurance and permits are in order. Never figured this would occur on 1st day.
I wasn't considering berating you. Most of my adventures are solo. Builds more character and going at the pace of the slowest person is much more palatable when that person is you.

Bruised and whiplash so sore throat. No worse than any other weekend really but yeah, mad.
Sorry to hear about your mishap, it happens to the best of us. Hopefully it doesn't turn you off a really fun activity.

Sadly it happens to novices a lot on sleds. Sleds have very simple controls, ample power, getting started and doing a few low speed maneuvers is easy. But that's deceiving as the speed-skill relationship comes on a lot quicker than a car or road bike. Like any powersport there is no substitute for training and experience.

I ride a bike, I drive a boat, I operate a backhoe -- 'I can get behind anything' doesn't always work out.

Sorry to hear about the new sled. Like motorcycling it’s way safer to ride weekdays.
I did 250km on Saturday and saw 200+ other sleds out. Rode another 300km Tuesday and only saw 12.
Spent a couple hours dialling in the suspension on my wife’s sled yesterday. The thing is a little beast in the trails. 038749C0-66AB-407A-A52B-0663D407F9D5.jpeg

Interesting toy out of QC. 20hp 200 lb snow scooter. I wonder if it would be allowed on trails in Ontario.

WS-Portrait_3_Riders.jpg

I like it...but needs a seat IMO...almost like a Trials bike.

Always amazed at people's ingenuity!

This thread reinforces that I don't make enough money...looks like fun!
I've been beating on a 1500$ sled for about the 7-8 winters and having a ball on the cheap. FWIW a 1980 440 Kawasaki Invader. Uber reliable too for a 40+ sled. In that time I've replaced one head gasket and a fuel pump.
Starts first pull! With it's goofy power band and old suspension it's more exhilerating than most bikes I've owned.

I was up near Cocrane sledding last weekend, -40, 25km wind and and fine misty snowfall make for cool running. This was the view pretty much all day. Snow was chest deep in some areas, a lot of pressure slush over untravelled ice , and when it's that cold anything you follow creates a fine ice dust storm.

You have to bring your battery inside at night, and mix a little oil in your gas to be sure you get lubed on startup. The snow and terrain are great, the cold... not so much.

1645646702899.png

It was so cold I think my tires froze. When I pulled away after spending a night on the ice, my tires thumped for a minute then boom! my 2 year old Toyo shredded.

1645646646089.png

I went through the ice while sledding up Stoney Lake area. Thought we were on the trail but somehow ended up on a smaller lake that apparently doesn’t freeze. Realizing we weren’t on trail I slowed down and sled broke through so I pinned it and put it up on a small island that was close by. Not a good feeling to see 100m of open water in my tracks to the island.
Anywho, I had a great season and got in about 2000km but I shut it down last week as my dads health was degrading quickly.
I’ll be riding again next year.

I went through the ice while sledding up Stoney Lake area. Thought we were on the trail but somehow ended up on a smaller lake that apparently doesn’t freeze. Realizing we weren’t on trail I slowed down and sled broke through so I pinned it and put it up on a small island that was close by. Not a good feeling to see 100m of open water in my tracks to the island.
Anywho, I had a great season and got in about 2000km but I shut it down last week as my dads health was degrading quickly.
So...how'd you get off the island? Just pin it back to the mainland?

When I go sledding with a buddy, we try to practice some water crossings so if it happens by accident it's not a big deal. It's definitely a lot different feeling in an overpowered sled compared to a vintage sled.

Sorry to hear about your dad.

So...how'd you get off the island? Just pin it back to the mainland?
Yup. Found the most gradual spot back onto the ice/water and just pinned it and made it out of there ok. Was a good 350km day of riding.
When I go sledding with a buddy, we try to practice some water crossings so if it happens by accident it's not a big deal. It's definitely a lot different feeling in an overpowered sled compared to a vintage sled.

Sorry to hear about your dad.
Thanks. He died this morning. Lived a long fun life though.

Yup. Found the most gradual spot back onto the ice/water and just pinned it and made it out of there ok. Was a good 350km day of riding.

I'm so sorry about your loss. Glad to hear he had a good long and fun life.

So sorry to hear about your dad, can't make that experience easy.

It's nice to hear he had a long and happy life, may he rest in peace.

Back
Top Bottom