Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 180 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

2018 Chevy Volt - 1 Year Update:

Today marks 1 year of ownership for us, purchased new with the 13k rebate on May 1, 2018. Put on 24,793km to date and filled up the gas tank 4 times (first fill on the dealer and not all fuel ups were full fuel ups).

Electricity cost $414 and this is probably an OVERESTIMATE as we charge about 95% at off peak rates. Off peak rates cost 6.5c/kWh, I used a rate of 12c/kWh to include other costs from the Hydro One bill (delivery, taxes, etc). Using a rate of only 6.5c/kWh the electricity cost would be approx $230 for the year or $19.17/m.

Total electricity/fuel costs for the year was:
$496 with delivery, etc fees
$312 without delivery, etc fees

Using a gas car for the year, the fuel alone would have cost $2529, a difference of over $2000 whatever way you look at it. Assumptions made were 8.5l/100km and $1.20/ltr.

YearAvg Monthly
Gas$82 (86.53 liters)$6.79
Electricity$414.00 (3056 kWh)$34.50
KM247932066

Some extra info:
Longest distance travelled on a single tank was 14,442km, yes one tank of gas lasted that long.
Most ELECTRIC ONLY use in a day 246km
Gas cost $81.62 (used mostly on trips to Niagara, Stratford and MTL)
Oil changes were done for free by the dealer.
Brake inspection/tire rotations done myself.
Approx $700 spent on a set of winter tires on steel rims.

Last edited:

Today marks 1 year of ownership for us, purchased new with the 13k rebate on May 1, 2018. Put on 24,793km to date and filled up the gas tank 4 times (first fill on the dealer and not all fuel ups were full fuel ups).

Electricity cost $414 and this is probably an OVERESTIMATE as we charge about 95% at off peak rates. Off peak rates cost 6.5c/kWh, I used a rate of 12c/kWh to include other costs from the Hydro One bill (delivery, taxes, etc). Using a rate of only 6.5c/kWh the electricity cost would be approx $230 for the year or $19.17/m.

Using a gas car for the year, the fuel alone would have cost $2529, a difference of over $2000 whatever way you look at it. Assumptions made were 8.5l/100km and $1.20/ltr.

YearAvg Monthly
KM247932066
Are you trying to let facts get in the way of ranting? Thanks for posting your numbers.

Everyone Volt here has been 100% problem free?

Everyone loves them?

I had the stator bearing issue I posted about here with my wife’s (only a first gen thing, and only then luck of the draw if it happens to yours or not - my 2011 has been fine) otherwise the ownership experience has been flawless.

My brother in laws 2018 Volt has also been flawless.

After not using any for about 6-7 weeks it told me it needed to run the ICE for about 5 minutes.

If the fuel stays in the tank for a full year it will start the ICE band burn it all.

Cool. Will wait patiently for the "Honda had that tech 10 years ago" comment.

I blocked the troll, therefore I’m not subjected to the drivel any longer.

YearAvg Monthly
KM247932066

Some extra info:
Longest distance travelled on a single tank was 14,442km, yes one tank of gas lasted that long.
Most ELECTRIC ONLY use in a day 246km
Something doesn't add up in the math. A Volt gets 10l/100 on gasoline (25US MPG), so 86.53L would take the Volt about 865KM, the remaining 23,928 would be electric powered. So, if a Volt goes 4.5km per KWh, that means you need 5,317kwh to power that distance. At 12.5c/kwh, you're looking at $664 for juice. I didn't account for charging or cold weather heating losses that would probably add $60-200 depending on the charger type.

In the great scheme of things, $250 difference isn't huge and the EV is still going to win out on fuel costs. I did almost exactly the same mileage in a Chev Cruze, my fuel costs for 23901 were $1722.24 - about $1000 more than a VOLT. I'd need 13 years to break even at 2018 fuel prices. At current prices that break even point drops to 6.5 years.

When I made the decision on Volt vs Cruze, the difference in price was about 13K after rebates (out the door at $20K vs $46K-$13rebate=$33K

The Volt doesn’t use anywhere near 10L/100KM when running on gas, nor does it consume 22kwh/100km when running on electric.

If you’re going to make comparisons....you need to get your numbers straight first.

Something doesn't add up in the math. A Volt gets 10l/100 on gasoline (25US MPG), so 86.53L would take the Volt about 865KM

24,793km - Total KM
22,998km - Electric KM
1,795km - Gas KM

86.53L / 1,795km * 100 = 4.82L/100km

So, if a Volt goes 4.5km per KWh, that means you need 5,317kwh to power that distance. At 12.5c/kwh, you're looking at $664 for juice. I didn't account for charging or cold weather heating losses that would probably add $60-200 depending on the charger type.

I've provided only the charging kWh that I paid for (home charging), public charging isn't included as it has always been free when we've used it. It is widely available and continues to be expanded. On average the Volt has been averaging 5km/kWh in the winter and 7.5km/kWh in the summer.
Taking an average of that is 6.25km/kWh which means 3679kWh was required, I charged 3056 of those at home and the other 623 was free public charging. Had I charged the extra 623kWh at home it'd have cost me an additional $75 (12c/kWh) or $40 (6.5c/kWh), not much of a bump.

oh joy, all this talk about the Volt got me excited so I rushed out to order a brand new one from my local purveyor of GM's finest products...

um, er, ah... nvmd....

This argument is getting old. Congrats to all the GTAM Volt drivers who are magically achieving 50% better mileage than the EPA (31kwh/100mi=5km/KWh) and virtually every car magazine (which never reach EPA numbers). Glad your chargers are 100% efficient too, Volt drivers on other forums have to suffer 8-10% charging losses in the very best circumstances.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not an EV hater. I do have a grip of basic math and physics so when variables don't pass muster, I don't mind calling that out.

I don't track it religiously, but I'm at about 300L of fuel for 23,000km. I'm happy with that, but as I said I still miss the sound of a good engine and miss rowing through a good transmission....as a commuter, great car the Volt...outside of that it doesn't really excite me.

This argument is getting old. Congrats to all the GTAM Volt drivers who are magically achieving 50% better mileage than the EPA (31kwh/100mi=5km/KWh) and virtually every car magazine (which never reach EPA numbers). Glad your chargers are 100% efficient too, Volt drivers on other forums have to suffer 8-10% charging losses in the very best circumstances.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not an EV hater. I do have a grip of basic math and physics so when variables don't pass muster, I don't mind calling that out.

It’s not magic.

Don’t know what to tell you but your numbers are off. Very cold winter conditions or driving like a maniac would result in those numbers I guess....

My Google-Fu has found that the EPA rates the Volt at 6.4L/100km on gasoline only. Where did you get the figure of 10.0L/100km?

31kWh/100m actually sounds about right if it’s based on a mix of city/highway/summer/winter.

It’s not magic.

Don’t know what to tell you but your numbers are off. Very cold winter conditions or driving like a maniac would result in those numbers I guess....

My Google-Fu has found that the EPA rates the Volt at 6.4L/100km on gasoline only. Where did you get the figure of 10.0L/100km?

31kWh/100m actually sounds about right if it’s based on a mix of city/highway/summer/winter.

That's likely combined fuel economy as well. I generally only use gas on the highways, which is likely how most people operate, and switch to electric when 401 traffic gets heavy, and my magic volt got 5.5 or 5.6L/100kms this past weekend.

This argument is getting old. Congrats to all the GTAM Volt drivers who are magically achieving 50% better mileage than the EPA (31kwh/100mi=5km/KWh) and virtually every car magazine (which never reach EPA numbers).
Just giving the numbers as I see them, cant say my figures speak for everyone but they do give you one real world example.

Glad your chargers are 100% efficient too, Volt drivers on other forums have to suffer 8-10% charging losses in the very best circumstances.
Charging loss of 8% was calculated into the kWh figures. Charger used is a JuiceBox Pro 40A (240v, 16amp used for charging).

It’s not magic.

Edmunds real world test for the gas useage. Anyway, the gas number are relatively insignificant for most Volt drivers as they use electricity. I think the problem is there is Volt users have never had a simple means to meter useage. Look here for a pile of the OnStar reported MPGe -- OnStar does repost the electricity used by the car, Onstar does not include costs for electricity lost in charging -- approx 10%. That site shows about 31.5kw/100mi average, then add +3.15kwh to cover charging costs for a total of 34.6kwh / 100 miles (or 161km). So... 161km / 34.6kwh means you're getting 4.65km/kwh.

When someone says they are getting an average of 6.5km/kwh, it's worth exploring how they beat the average by almost 35%.

Edmunds real world test for the gas useage. Anyway, the gas number are relatively insignificant for most Volt drivers as they use electricity. I think the problem is there is Volt users have never had a simple means to meter useage. Look here for a pile of the OnStar reported MPGe -- OnStar does repost the electricity used by the car, Onstar does not include costs for electricity lost in charging -- approx 10%. That site shows about 31.5kw/100mi average, then add +3.15kwh to cover charging costs for a total of 34.6kwh / 100 miles (or 161km). So... 161km / 34.6kwh means you're getting 4.65km/kwh.

When someone says they are getting an average of 6.5km/kwh, it's worth exploring how they beat the average by almost 35%.
Because racecar? EV's seem to be the drivetrain most affected by driving style. Tesla used to use ~1% of the battery capacity per second of full-throttle acceleration. I don't know how the current models stack up.

Doing things like preconditioning while plugged may also grossly effect the numbers (as the vehicle is parked, how is this usage dealt with, is it in the overhead, does it show up as crap mileage in the next drive or is it just ignored?).

You're using figures based on all Volts from 2012 up, as mentioned before I have a 2018.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom