Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 179 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Although complete failure of the battery on a volt is virtually unheard of, I have for curiosities sake looked and found full battery assemblies available at scrapyards for as low as $1000, many with very few miles on them. Needless to say if the need ever arose that would be the way to go, and the re-and-re labour even at a GM dealer was 5 hours or something like that, so it’s still <$2000 total. And you can step up to a newer capacity battery and the vehicle will recognize it, so I could put a 2015 battery (with the extra capacity) in my 2011 and get the extra range.

But again, complete failure is a very minuscule possibility.

Anyhow, we are on the train as I type this headed to Montreal to look at (and likely buy, barring anything unexpected) the Ioniq.

Although complete failure of the battery on a volt is virtually unheard of, I have for curiosities sake looked and found full battery assemblies available at scrapyards for as low as $1000, many with very few miles on them. Needless to say if the need ever arose that would be the way to go, and the re-and-re labour even at a GM dealer was 5 hours or something like that, so it’s still <$2000 total. And you can step up to a newer capacity battery and the vehicle will recognize it, so I could put a 2015 battery (with the extra capacity) in my 2011 and get the extra range.

But again, complete failure is a very minuscule possibility.

Anyhow, we are on the train as I type this headed to Montreal to look at (and likely buy, barring anything unexpected) the Ioniq.
GL! Welcome to Korea fam.

Good luck with the Ioniq!

Just saw this today. Certainly bodes well for Rivian. A partnership like this could help avoid some of the “very silly” problems that Tesla has experienced.

I’m not sure a $90K truck/SUV would ever be in my driveway but I do like it a lot. Maybe someday.

I like some features on the Talis but it’s still a long ways from a production vehicle.

Bought the Ioniq. On way home, in Ganonoque for the night - has a leisurely but long day...and for the sake of a $70 hotel room (yay for my wife’s amazing corporate rates) it wasn’t worth pushing on.

More tomorrow.

Congrats! I want my next vehicle to be electric.....especially a scooter!

We are home. Here's the synopsis of everything.

Got into Montreal on the train right on time. It's been a long time since I travelled any distance by train (aside from the occasional GO ride into Toronto) and I forgot how civilized it feels compared to air travel...and how much quicker.

My wife insisted on hitting a deli and having a genuine Montreal Smoked Meat Sandwich after disembarking the train, so we walked from the train station to a local deli to enjoy what ended up being a very expensive lunch at Reubens Restaurant - a little historical gem in downtown Montreal, but positively upscale and certainly not inexpensive. After tip, $50 for 2 sandwiches with fries and 2 glasses of water for lunch.

Anyhow, it was pissing rain, cold, and windy, so we grabbed an Uber for the trip to the south shore. The car showed up almost instantly and we were on our way. But then he missed the exit to the dealership which ended up costing us about an extra 20 minutes in traffic trying to get turned and around back to the dealer. And believe it or not, he farted at one point while we were still 5 minutes from our destination. My wife tried to blame it on me. ?

The dealer was Auto Flash in St. Hubert. A smaller but sharp looking little independent dealer. The salesperson who'd been helping me since the beginning was there right away and we got down to business.

The car was indeed in great shape. There's a few tiny blemishes on the hood but I'm fairly sure if I wanted I could get them out with some compound. The rest of the car was exceptional - it looks brand new honestly, and still has new car smell like something sitting on a new car lot. I had purchased the Ontario UVIP a few days before and the mileages and history all checked out. It was owned by someone in Brampton. All of their destinations and such were still in the GPS for that matter as was a long string of drive history from before it was traded in.

I hooked up my scantool and looked at the health of everything - all good.

Test drive was uneventful. It drives like a brand new car.

Purchase process itself was a little longer than I'd hoped due to a language barrier with the finance lady as well as an insurance snafu on the wording of one thing vs the papers we had been provided, but our salesman helped out and we worked it all out. They have the ability to issue temp plates right at some dealers in Quebec (this being one of them) so we were on our way right afterwards. Car had been charging at the dealership and was at 100% again.

We got out later than expected however. We'd toyed with staying in Montreal, but with all the flooding going on some highways were closed, and being 5PM at that point (and miserable weather) we decided to just get out of dodge, so we hit the highway.

Speaking of the weather.....50kph gusting 80kph winds from the west met us as we got on Highway 40 headed towards the 401. Needless to say this did NOT help our range. With the heat pump vs relying on electric grid heat at least the HVAC load was amazingly low however. It was 150KM to this first stop (after a few side trips on the way out of Montreal) and we arrived with only 10 or so to spare - the car was just starting to complain in the last few KM on the highway, but I knew we would make it - I expected a little more buffer however, but I did have some backup L2 options in mind if we'd needed to stop. It was all good....no range anxiety because I had a plan, and I knew that we'd make it even if we got less range than hoped, as ended up being the case all things considered.

We stopped for dinner in Cornwall at a St. Hubert with a L3 fast charger. How convenient, and quite possibly...planned that way. ;) 24 minutes later, before our food even arrived, the car was fully charged. I pulled it out of the way and parked again, we finished dinner, and hit the road.

While pulling the car out of the L3 spot I got our first interested person talking to us about the car. "Neat, never seen one of those before" etc etc.

After dinner, we hit the 401 again. 145KM got us to Ganonoque with 30KM left on the range - the winds had died down a lot in just those few hours. When checking in the guy at the desk asked us about the car as well - "Never seen one of those, cool tail lights!". Too funny.

I found a plug at the corner of the parking lot on the base of a light tower and plugged in the L1 after getting settled in our room. I'd hoped to get 30-40KM overnight which would carry us to our next L3 charger planned in Kingston. However, as wasn't totally unexpected, when the power to the light went off at first light, so did the power, so between 11:30PM when I plugged it in..and first light at 5:45AM or so when the light apparently went off, we didn't get a lot. This necessitated a stop at a L2 for a brief stint to get some range that we didn't end up needing in the end...as with todays much nicer weather and light winds consumption was WAY lower and I could have made it to Kingston no problem.

Stopped at an L3 at a mall. A little over 20 minutes (while my wife happily shopped) got the car to 90% and we were on our way.

We made one more quick stop for lunch in Belleville and picked up a little more charge at another L3 - 10 minutes was all we needed to have enough to get home with lots of comfort to spare.

And with that, we got home with about 40KM to spare.

First thing I did was finally sit down and setup all the cars features...charging, preconditioning, etc etc. Then I checked the tire pressures...well, that explains the slightly lower than anticipated ranges we were seeing on the way home - found all the tires low compared to what they're supposed to be on LRR tires. Attributed the rest of the lower range to the westerly winds, the fact it was between 2-5c most of the trip, and HVAC use. I know all of the above would effect the range on our Volt, so I should expect nothing less of the Ioniq, especially given this was 100% highway driving.

Charging time on our 16A L2 is showing about 8 hours from empty, as expected. I may look to step up to at least one 32A EVSE (and leave the second at 16, since that's all the Volt can use anyways) if the 8 hour charge times becomes an issue, but given expected driving patterns and such, I don't think it's going to be.

First commute to/from work for my wife tomorrow.

Was going to attach some photos...but the forum wants to post them sideways for some reason. Will post tomorrow.

Congrats on the new wheels. I went the 32A EVSE route (40A actually, not that the Bolt can use it) and it's definitely nice for the infrequent times that we've run the Bolt down and come home, plugged in, and then had to go back out later due to an emergency or something else unexpected. Of course the Volt is always there as well, so it's not essential.

Without the Gov rebate for the EVSE it would be a harder choice now though, especially if you already have 2 16A L2 units.

Congrats on the new wheels. I went the 32A EVSE route (40A actually, not that the Bolt can use it) and it's definitely nice for the infrequent times that we've run the Bolt down and come home, plugged in, and then had to go back out later due to an emergency or something else unexpected. Of course the Volt is always there as well, so it's not essential.

Without the Gov rebate for the EVSE it would be a harder choice now though, especially if you already have 2 16A L2 units.

Yes, 40A is the technical EVSE rating. I always say 32A because that’s all that any EV can draw from it by code. Bad habit. ;)

Ay carumba, that's a lot of drama!

Glad it all worked out.

I’m not known for being verbose. ;)

Yes, 40A is the technical EVSE rating. I always say 32A because that’s all that any EV can draw from it by code. Bad habit. ;)

Juicebox Pro 40 is 40A/10kW, so a little "Future-proofing".

Apparently there are now some cars (Porsche/Audi/VW/Tesla) that will take 11kW charging, but it's a 3-phase 16A Level 2 charging station. So kind of a no go for home use for most people.

The GOM showed 178KM this morning.

Precondition went off as programmed and I was happy to see because of the much more efficient heating system vs the Volt, even with our EVSE only being able to supply 16A, it never used more than about 14 even during the initial peak. Once the grid heat was out of the loop at the very start and the heat pump took over it was only drawing a few amps and the car was toasty warm and battery was at 100% still.

And the first time I’ve broken 2000km on one tank of fuel. Still have half a talk left too.

And we’re on the cusp of perfect battery (and accordingly, electric range) weather again. Barring any long trips you’ll without doubt get more KM out of the second half of that tank.

And we’re on the cusp of perfect battery (and accordingly, electric range) weather again. Barring any long trips you’ll without doubt get more KM out of the second half of that tank.

I use very very little fuel on my normal commuting.... if ever.

I used 6.5L last Thursday but that was for work so I got to expense the 125km! At least half of the fuel I’ve used was for work so I was able to expense it at a tidy profit. Not aware of any out of town trips in the next couple weeks so I can’t see any reason why I won’t hit 3-4000km on this tank.

Coming up on a year of ownership on May 20th. I’ll post my first years stats.

No issues with having corn in your tank for that long?

The engineers thought about that - the Volt keeps the fuel tank under a vacuum to avoid the “breathing” issues that generally cause ethanol related moisture issues.

The car will force you to burn the fuel as well if it’s been in there for 12 months.

Back
Top Bottom