Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 302 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

I put the Rivian in the same category as the PT Cruiser. Except it has some good technology. The front looks like it was styled in grade 9. The storage space is an enormous amount of stupid.

So I have rolled over 200,000kms on my 2014 Chevy Volt recently. I am a superstitious guy and don't like to say things like "The car has been trouble free!" because that usually leads to something bad happening. So I will try and stick to the facts.

The Volt has been quite maintenance free. I wait until the Oil change monitor tells me to change the oil and that's around every 2 years. Brakes are still factory. Fronts look fine. Rears are in dire need of changing however. I'll do them soon.
I should probably think about replacing the 12v battery in the trunk too.

I only charge using the portable charger that it comes with, so only 120v slow charging. Work still flat out refuses to let me plug into any outlet anywhere on the property so I am usually using some gas during my commutes.
Even still, I get very good fuel economy. My Fuelly app shows in the 5 years I have owned it (I purchased it pre-owned) I am averaging 1.9L/100kms.
Less than 2,000 liters used since I have owned it.

I do seem to have issues with charging with the portable cable at times. I will get notifications (usually when I'm sleeping) that the car has stopped charging. If I go and wiggle the cable it charges again. A real PITA that probably wouldn't be an issue if I had a dedicated charger at home, but I rent, and getting landlords to plumb in 240v stuff for me isn't always realistic. (even if I pay. I have asked)

I have had the center console touch screen freeze on me a few times. Not really an issue except that's where the climate controls are. Turning on and off the car doesn't work as the screen stays on. I have to turn off the car. Take the keys with me, leave. Lock the doors and walk away for a minute or two. This has happened to me maybe 3 times and I think always in cold cold weather. (I park inside)

Hmmm....I think that's it.

Regarding the centre stack issue, I've read more than a few times that when the 12v battery in the trunk starts to get weak it results in issues like that, so it might be time.

but I rent, and getting landlords to plumb in 240v stuff for me isn't always realistic. (even if I pay. I have asked)

Is it the faster charge rate you want, or just a new (not wonky) EVSE?

If it's the faster charge rate, well....there *are* ways to get 240v at the required amperage out to the car without any permanent modifications to the house at all if you're willing to be, ahem...."creative" with how you do it. I'll leave it at that. ;)

If it's just getting a non-wonky EVSE, look at the Duosida EVSE's on Amazon - they're dual voltage and very well priced. So if some day you do get 240v somewhere, you can charge at 16A/240v as well.

Regarding the centre stack issue, I've read more than a few times that when the 12v battery in the trunk starts to get weak it results in issues like that, so it might be time.

Yeah I read the same. :confused:

Is it the faster charge rate you want, or just a new (not wonky) EVSE?

If it's the faster charge rate, well....there *are* ways to get 240v at the required amperage out to the car without any permanent modifications to the house at all if you're willing to be, ahem...."creative" with how you do it. I'll leave it at that. ;)

If it's just getting a non-wonky EVSE, look at the Duosida EVSE's on Amazon - they're dual voltage and very well priced. So if some day you do get 240v somewhere, you can charge at 16A/240v as well.

Both really. For now I should spend money on the brakes and a new battery before I go buying a new charger.

I appreciate the info on being creative however I would want to do things the correct way when it comes to electricity. Working for the fire department I can't count how many electrical and garage fires we have to deal with.

Yeah I read the same. :confused:

Both really. For now I should spend money on the brakes and a new battery before I go buying a new charger.

I appreciate the info on being creative however I would want to do things the correct way when it comes to electricity. Working for the fire department I can't count how many electrical and garage fires we have to deal with.
Creative doesnt necessarily correlate with fire. Codes are written to safeguard the moron from themselves. Obviously following the letter of the law is a great approach but sometimes alternate solutions are safe when implemented and used appropriately.

As for your actual problem, I dont think 240v will fix it. It sounds like your problem is either the cable from your evse or the jack on your car. Neither of those are affected by changing input power to evse.

Creative doesnt necessarily correlate with fire. Codes are written to safeguard the moron from themselves. Obviously following the letter of the law is a great approach but sometimes alternate solutions are safe when implemented and used appropriately.

Yeah. That makes sense. However, considering I'm parking in a garage in the house of the landlord I'm renting from, with other people living in it, anything involving the outlet I plug into is not within the realm of my decision making...and the last person my landlord got to repair something in my unit will most definitely kill us all in a fiery blaze if he re-wires anything.

As for your actual problem, I dont think 240v will fix it. It sounds like your problem is either the cable from your evse or the jack on your car. Neither of those are affected by changing input power to evse.

Oh I never thought getting a 240v would fix my charging issues, however getting a Level 2 charger to plug into that 240v I believe would fix the issue as I am fairly sure the issue is with my portable charger, as I have no issues charging at other charging stations.

Oops.

I'd laugh but this crap is costing real lives with beta testing in public. It is unconscionable that it is allowed at all in its current form. Add it as a supplement to a human driver with a boxing glove that gives you a nut shot every time it intervenes and it will make driving safer.

Oops.

41e959f9ac91c421bd631b0162ecf325.jpg

Bah! I knew I shouldn’t have said anything.

Got home today to the “Service High Voltage Charging System” message and my car won’t charge.

Quick skim on the interwebs says battery coolant might be low.

Battery coolant tank sensor. A very common problem - they go bad and trigger this warming.

If the battery coolant tank is indeed not low, clear the code and it’ll charge again. It may not come up again for weeks or months. Had this issue with my wife’s 2012 randomly every 6-8 months.

If it does return, there’s simply plug-in fooler modules you can get for about $50 online (or if you’re handy you can make your own with a resistor) and problem solved. You can also just get the tank & sensor replaced but that’s a PITA.

Mines doing something weird. When I use the auto-up feature on the Drivers window it stops mid-way and goes back down. Doesn’t do it all the time, and doesn’t do it when my finger is on it the entire time.

I expect I’ll need a new regulator soon (which is the same part that failed on my Gen1).

EDIT: this one’s even more random. Driving along and all of a sudden 4 chimes…no lights, no messages, nothing…and it keeps on driving.

Trunk? Mine does this if the trunk lid bounces when not full latched

Sent using a thumb maybe 2
Possible…,but during a drive yesterday it did it 2x and then nothing the rest of the drive. I would assume there would be a warning same as a door open.

EDIT: apparently a cell phone on the passenger seat will trigger the seatbelt warning…5 chimes during driving. And the seatbelt notification is in the top centre console and I never looked up there. Surprised such a light weight would set it off.

Mines doing something weird. When I use the auto-up feature on the Drivers window it stops mid-way and goes back down. Doesn’t do it all the time, and doesn’t do it when my finger is on it the entire time.

I expect I’ll need a new regulator soon (which is the same part that failed on my Gen1).

EDIT: this one’s even more random. Driving along and all of a sudden 4 chimes…no lights, no messages, nothing…and it keeps on driving.

There’s a window recalibration thing I remember reading about online somewhere that relearns the full up and full down positions. I’m sure google will bring it up. Might help.

Regarding the chime thing, yeah, passenger seat. I had the same thing and also couldn’t figure it out given as how the passenger seatbelt light is in the overhead. Turned out it was my laptop sitting there. I’ve had it happen with a bag of groceries as well.

Possible…,but during a drive yesterday it did it 2x and then nothing the rest of the drive. I would assume there would be a warning same as a door open.

EDIT: apparently a cell phone on the passenger seat will trigger the seatbelt warning…5 chimes during driving. And the seatbelt notification is in the top centre console and I never looked up there. Surprised such a light weight would set it off.
Trunk also sits closed enough to not turn on the notification and it is very quick easy to miss but it dings on bigger bumps.

Sent using a thumb maybe 2

Not a good day in TeslaLand:

And not surprising at all:

Damn. Reliability is surprising. There should be less to go wrong with an EV.

I’ve been quietly watching the used Tesla market for a long while as you until a year or two ago I wouldn’t have ruled out buying an older Model S that had depreciated into an acceptable price territory.

But seeing was I’ve seen since, hell naw. Old Teslas are struggling with long term reliability, and new Teslas are struggling with build quality issues that one could easily construe into becoming problematic for the same long term reliability down the road.

I’ve been quietly watching the used Tesla market for a long while as you until a year or two ago I wouldn’t have ruled out buying an older Model S that had depreciated into an acceptable price territory.

But seeing was I’ve seen since, hell naw. Old Teslas are struggling with long term reliability, and new Teslas are struggling with build quality issues that one could easily construe into becoming problematic for the same long term reliability down the road.
The lack of parts availability on its own is enough to keep me out of a used Tesla. Hell, it's bad enough that I probably wouldn't seriously consider a new Tesla but at least with a new one, Tesla cares a tiny bit about getting it back on the road. I think of used Teslas the same as china bikes. They need to be cheap enough to be disposable (and they need to be alternate transportation not primary) as you could be down for many months waiting for parts.

Back
Top Bottom