Any GTAM'ers have a tiny/micro camper? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers have a tiny/micro camper?

There are some cool van conversions done on a shoestring budget. Forestyforest (Simon lamberts) has a pretty efficient setup. I like the idea of having the trailer hitch free for toys. Setup a basecamp in the mountains and go riding.
The Transit Connect design intrigues me for a few reasons. First, for a small vehicle the cargo area is cavernous. It’s as tough as a tank and simple to repair. Good on fuel. No gennie needed as the standard alternator puts out 90amps at idle and 150 at 2000rpm.

Sleep area is almost queen size. You can fit a 32” tv, sink, stove, microwave and still have 1000l of storage. I’ve seen a few that integrated a shitter too.

Easy to wheel around town, easy to find fire road camp sites.

Went and looked at it today. It was not as advertised & I was kind of ****** about that especially after making the not insignificant drive - the pictures he's used appear to be the pictures from when he *bought* it versus now.

I'm also still digging for info but I'm being led to believe based on discussion in a few enthusiast forums that the asking price for a "well loved" 5 year old unit is only about $2K less than a brand new one as well.

The way they seem to hold value (unlike a 1.1million dollar bus platform that looses 350K in the first hr LOL) is pretty amazing. The only upside on a resale if your not buying from a dealer is there "could" be significant tax savings and sometimes they have some pretty nice add ons that go with the deal.
Or they are beat to crap and don't look like the pictures

Looking at these now. Heck of a trailer (well, for the ultralight teardrop segment anyways) for the money and Canadian made.

Yes the depreciation on trailers is peanuts I paid 14 for mine in 2006 and could have sold it for 8 or 9 last year. Think I will sell it this spring just to avoid doing the roof in a few years.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Looking at these now. Heck of a trailer (well, for the ultralight teardrop segment anyways) for the money and Canadian made.
They are a few km from me, I looked at their kits last year / both kits and finished trailers are a killer deal. Really nice people too. Can’t say for sure but I got the feeling cash deals might be doable.

Yes the depreciation on trailers is peanuts I paid 14 for mine in 2006 and could have sold it for 8 or 9 last year. Think I will sell it this spring just to avoid doing the roof in a few years.

It hasn't always been that way....RV's have traditionally been depreciation pits. If you'd tried to sell that 2006 trailer in, say, 2016 as a 10 year old used RV you'd not likely have seen that sort of money.

Covid has dramatically changed things. Here's a trailer we owned in 2007. Paid $3000 for it, I still remember writing that cheque as it was the "return to the world of camping" for me and the family and I was super hyped..

1611457224602.png

Sold it for about what we paid for it a few years later, it had bottomed out in depreciation as a 10 year old trailer at that point we bought it and hadn't gone down any further. Called it good and was pretty happy with that outcome honestly. It was probably a $12-$15K trailer when it was new.

Today, that exact same trailer would probably fetch $5000-$7000 even though it's 13 years older again. People are falling over themselves to buy any trailer in the under $7-8K category. Even more so in the ultralight category that people can pull with their Prius or whatever. That trailer above weighed about 3000# empty so even a grocery getter half ton could pull it. My dually wasn't sweating lol.

Covid really tweaked the market last year where people were desperate to just so something with their summer, and RV's had a massive resurgence, especially the used market.

Last edited:
Speaking of depreciation pits...our 2004 fifth wheel that we bought in 2008 had depreciated by 50% by the time we bought it. I was perfectly OK with that as I always like someone else taking the depreciation hit - it was just like new inside.

My late father in law bought a ~5 year old fifth wheel himself a few years after that for something like $17K. The guy who owned it still owed something like $25K on it even after making payments for 5 years. He had to finance the rest to get out from underneath it and was probably still making payments for several years after he didn't even own the trailer anymore, but he needed it gone as he was leaving the province.

People take baths on RV's if you're not careful what you're buying.

It hasn't always been that way....RV's have traditionally been depreciation pits. If you'd tried to sell that 2006 trailer in, say, 2016 as a 10 year old used RV you'd not likely have seen that sort of money.

Covid has dramatically changed things. Here's a trailer we owned in 2007. Paid $3000 for it, I still remember writing that cheque as it was the "return to the world of camping" for me and the family and I was super hyped..

View attachment 46701

Sold it for about what we paid for it a few years later, it had bottomed out in depreciation as a 10 year old trailer at that point we bought it and hadn't gone down any further. Called it good and was pretty happy with that outcome honestly. It was probably a $12-$15K trailer when it was new.

Today, that exact same trailer would probably fetch $5000-$7000 even though it's 13 years older again. People are falling over themselves to buy any trailer in the under $7-8K category. Even more so in the ultralight category that people can pull with their Prius or whatever. That trailer above weighed about 3000# empty so even a grocery getter half ton could pull it. My dually wasn't sweating lol.

Covid really tweaked the market last year where people were desperate to just so something with their summer, and RV's had a massive resurgence, especially the used market.
I sold my parents trailer in 19 for 5 grand was identical to mine but a year older, today it would sell for more it has been crazy and is why I am thinking of selling mine and buying a year old one next year after covid. Only plus is I know where mine has been and what is wrong and it has always been stored inside. Looks a lot like your old trailer in the pic.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

My favourite teardrop:

The guy that came up with the original design wasn't interested in the Canadian market. We swapped some emails and he told me I could copy anything I wanted for up here. That may have changed as he has aligned with a manufacturer down there. M/C trailers are not cheap unless you throw a cargo pod onto a Harbor Freight trailer.

I like the transit van conversion. Sleep under a hard roof and if you need more amenities tow a light trailer with a dining tent etc or go with a roof pod.

One other bothersome thing is the cost of campsites in Canada. It could get worse if there is a surge when restrictions lift. The southern US campsites were a quarter the price of Canadian ones.

One other bothersome thing is the cost of campsites in Canada.
Assuming you're staying in campsites. On our entire trip to Gaspe and back we stayed in a campsite a grand total of once. The rest of the time we boondocked and enjoyed the **** out of it.

Checkout the iOverlander app - it's a great resource for those who want to camp away from what most would consider traditional campsites. And honestly, I'm way happier off in the woods somewhere doing my own thing than surrounded by ******** in the next campsite getting drunk and wretching and/or pissing in the woods within earshot of our trailer (oh, so many memories of camping past) all while having their loud music cranked at 1AM.

Just sitting quietly around a campfire enjoying nature until 11-12AM and then heading off for a good nights sleep doesn't seem to be what "camping" is to many anymore - it's all about making as much noise as is humanly possible, getting completely shitfaced, thinking the entire campground needs to also enjoy your death metal/rap/whatever as much as you do, and generally being obnoxious regardless of the other 99% of the campground that's just trying to actually enjoy themselves.

Google Transit connect camper images and there are all kinds of conversions, DIY and not DIY.

Keep headroom in mind for the back. When I had a Safari van a friend questioned using a van to get his mother around. She was wheelchair bound. I experimented and the roof height wasn't comfortable, head scrunched over with a standard height chair. Also consider condensation issues.

If you plan on sleeping in it often, a powered ventilator becomes almost a necessity.

The Fantastic Fan....really is. Absolute necessity for any trailer in any conditions that would yield humidity issues.

The Prolite we rented for Gaspe had a different version of the Fantastic Fan...I guess there's lots of offshoots now. The little teardrop I was looking at had one as well. On the warm nights you run it either way (inlet or exhaust) so it sucks IN cooler outside air and blows the hot air out a window, or vice versa. On the cooler nights where condensation will be an issue you run it set to exhaust but only leave the vent cover open a mm or so, just enough to let some air exchange taking the humidity with it, but not blow out all your heat.

They're virtually silent on the low setting (and low amp draw) so you can run them all night even if on batteries.

The one we were looking at sold.

Funny thing is I finally got ahold of the manufacturer and discovered that his asking price (Which based on conversation, I think he got) was actually about the same as ordering a brand new base model from the manufacturer. For a 2021 model in our choice of colour. Without all the dings in dents that were in the one we looked at. And 5 years newer.

Oh well.

So I believe we will be ordering a new one in the coming days.

The used one had two options - the roof racks and the sink. Didn't want the roof racks anyways, and the sink I'd install myself down the road as I've got something else in mind versus the cheap plastic things manufacturers install. I confirmed they can rough in the switch for the pump.

If anyone is interested in ordering at the same time, PM me. I'm working on the freight logistics right now as the cross border thing is complicated by not being able to just cross and pick it up ourselves in Indiana which we'd otherwise do in a heartbeat, of course.

1612048970515.png
1612049022774.png
1612049104995.png

Seeing this thread kinda late but my last neighbours have a TAB (I believe the 320 model) and they love it and use it a lot. They've had it at least 6yrs and it still looks new and has been all over. They usually stay at parks I believe but I recall them saying there's a huge online TAB community and custom options (there's has AC and I think a shower system as well as awning etc). They towed it easily behind their Passat wagon.

Anyone find a weight on the website? I couldn't find one. They like 1000lbs for the 5x8?

Anyone find a weight on the website? I couldn't find one. They like 1000lbs for the 5x8?

I spent quite a lot of time on their website as well given the convenience factor of being literally 45 minutes away for pick up however unless I missed it I couldn’t find weights anywhere either. They also look pretty small.

Given as how they appear to be steel and wood construction however I’m going to guess empty weights around around 1000#.

Having owned a few steel utility trailers over the years and having seen what even one trip in the winter with salt can do to the metal for the rest of its life, physically as well as cosmetically, that’s another reason I am leaning towards the Wazat - all aluminum.

The idea of having any external wood on a trailer is completely out for me. It looks awesome, sure, but it’s a maintenance nightmare if you actually want to keep it looking that way.

Seeing this thread kinda late but my last neighbours have a TAB (I believe the 320 model) and they love it and use it a lot. They've had it at least 6yrs and it still looks new and has been all over. They usually stay at parks I believe but I recall them saying there's a huge online TAB community and custom options (there's has AC and I think a shower system as well as awning etc). They towed it easily behind their Passat wagon.

Yes they have a big following as well and we actually did go and look at a few of them however I keep coming back and comparing them all to the price, size and weight of the Wazat and there’s no comparison - the Tab’s seem to be a ton of money for what you’re getting and are a lot heavier as well.

If I was going to spend $25-$30K on a Tab I would buy something like the Prolite Lounge we had for our trip to Gaspe last fall before I’d buy a Tab honestly.

Back
Top Bottom