Algonquin Park Fall Colours | GTAMotorcycle.com

Algonquin Park Fall Colours

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
Anyone planning this? I missed the last 2 years (out of 6) due to BC job and reasons.

It appears the colour is changing fast this year and will be peak colours in the next week or so. I’m hoping closer to the end of the month as it turns out I get the 30th off.

1631724060788.jpeg

My only suggestion: Go during a weekday.
Agreed. My route usually goes in from the east gate. Last time I left Algonquin the west gate had an approx 10km lineup to enter.

Also, I leave at 6am and am typically out the gate as the crowds start arriving at the west gate.

What route are you planning @mimico_polak ? In case you are planning to ride there
Just looking through @shanekingsley big map and will put together a route. But I always go from the east gate to the west simply due to timing and don’t want to make the longer trek home at the end of the ride.
East to West I can jump to the 11 and boot it home.

Is there an entry fee for motorcycles?
No charges if you’re just passing through. The day passes are for bikes/cars if you use the park.

Driving through? Watch out for moose and idiotic tourists darting onto the road with their cameras and pulling u-turns.

Just looking through @shanekingsley big map and will put together a route. But I always go from the east gate to the west simply due to timing and don’t want to make the longer trek home at the end of the ride.
Ok, let me know what you come up with and if you need company. Only concern - weekdays will be difficult.

I usually go for a few fall colours rides each year, every 3 weeks or so to see the changes and to see colours in Muskoka and other areas. I also prefer weekdays to avoid traffic, but like @mimico_polak mentioned, if you start early you can get up to the park and avoid the masses of slow moving vehicles. But my rides are nothing like the mega rides @boooya is known for:)

Here's a pretty simple route that has a good mix of scenery and nice roads - round trip from Mississauga is 10 hrs, where it's easy to shave time by taking more direct roads if needed:
1631731866365.png

If I was still based in Toronto, I'd cut through Cooper's Falls and loop back at Gravenhurst, if it was just to see the fall colours.
Not sure if the tour buses will be going through there, since COVID has messed their ridership up.
There's probably other nice roads in the area, as well.

Daughter has a cottage a few kms west of the park. The tourists are a huge problem in the fall on weekends. Police block the cottage roads to keep the morons from double parking.

If I was still based in Toronto, I'd cut through Cooper's Falls and loop back at Gravenhurst, if it was just to see the fall colours.
Not sure if the tour buses will be going through there, since COVID has messed their ridership up.
There's probably other nice roads in the area, as well.
Lately I've been skipping Coopers Falls Road because even though it's super beautiful, the road has not been maintained very well.
Housey's Rapids road though was repaved not too long ago and is great. Uffington Rd would be amazing, but that is also really beat up, so I've been skipping that now too.

Lately I've been skipping Coopers Falls Road because even though it's super beautiful, the road has not been maintained very well.
Housey's Rapids road though was repaved not too long ago and is great. Uffington Rd would be amazing, but that is also really beat up, so I've been skipping that now too.
It's in Simcoe county and most people who use it are travelling to Muskoka county. It used to be gravel until the border.

Please post your route and day/time, am interested and may join.
(Hint: less of slab time and back by sun set)
Thanks.

I'm going to try and do a ride in the next 2 weeks to see some colours. Checking out this Muskoka page, there still seems to be about 2 weeks to go before peak colour. It would be nice to go through Algonquin, but if it adds too much time to go all the way around, then the other spots marked out on the route below should give a really good display and it will give time to relax or add more scenic backroads.

Some of these locations are just spots to ride up, park and take in the view or snap a picture. A couple involve getting off the bike and walking for a bit (the Oxtongue Rapids one is a 2km round trip walk, so I would bring some running shoes just in case). I've never been to a bunch of these, so it would be pretty neat to compare them all in one day. Unfortunately the Dorset lookout tower is closed for 2021.

These are pretty easy routes - I'll post up when I go if anyone wants to come, but the routes are below if you want to do them yourself.

Algonquin Route: Shell to Canal Lake Parking
1632521565462.png

No Algonquin Route: Shell to Canal Lake Parking
1632521475252.png

If I’m not on rotation at this time, I’d be up for a run north.

Waiting to see new schedule

Back
Top Bottom