Algonquin Park Fall Colours | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Algonquin Park Fall Colours

Tried to do this today maybe it as far as Huntsville, detoured into Rosseau booted around the Muskoka’s. Still VERY pretty.

One of these days I’m going to politely ask that route guru .. to maybe plan a nice route from Burlington into Algonquin and back.

I always pack am overnight kit, but have yet to ever use it as I always boogie back home.

Worth the drive out that way, but damn I so do dislike the 400 highway.

Two

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How is the bike working for you? Is it okay on the hwy.

Sry wasn’t able to make it today.
No worries, life happens.

Bike is good. No issues on the highway and seems to be in its (and my) happy place around 125-130. Just goes smooth.

Outside of that the only items I may look into are the brakes. Seem to be a little light on grip at the start so may replace pads and rotors to something more aggressive.

I also need to serious consider replacing the 2 bad SHAD luggage system with a 3 bag GIVI system. Just enjoy the additional space. Don’t think I can mix and match frames.

@TwoDog totally agree with you on the 400…but it’s the best way to gain ground in shortest possible order.

I like to leave early to avoid the 401/400 traffic. Got delayed leaving the house so then got caught on the 401 through town.

Buddy asked me to check on the work at his cottage in Kearney, no problem…except I hit rush hour 100% and the 400SB was a disaster to get onto the 401. Then the 403….ugh.

I like highway 27 up. It’s typically lightly used and still good time can be made. You can reach beyond Barrie and start exploring with Horseshoe Valley Road going EB and then meander toward Algonquin. But @shanekingsley will have a much better suggestion than that.

No worries, life happens.

Bike is good. No issues on the highway and seems to be in its (and my) happy place around 125-130. Just goes smooth.

Outside of that the only items I may look into are the brakes. Seem to be a little light on grip at the start so may replace pads and rotors to something more aggressive.

I also need to serious consider replacing the 2 bad SHAD luggage system with a 3 bag GIVI system. Just enjoy the additional space. Don’t think I can mix and match frames.
If your rotors and pads are damaged or badly worn, then yes replace them. If not, then just freshen them up. Taking the shiny glaze off them will make a big difference. Pull the pads and lightly sand them on a flat surface. You can renew the rotors to like new finish with a "flexhone" or just use a hunk of scotchbrite to provide a non directional finish.(Honda says to replace rotor bolts every time. I never have) A bucket of soapy water and an old toothbrush will get all the crap out of the calipers.
If you're brave, bleed the systems. Just don't do it an hour before you leave on a long trip.

@TwoDog totally agree with you on the 400…but it’s the best way to gain ground in shortest possible order.

I like to leave early to avoid the 401/400 traffic. Got delayed leaving the house so then got caught on the 401 through town.

Buddy asked me to check on the work at his cottage in Kearney, no problem…except I hit rush hour 100% and the 400SB was a disaster to get onto the 401. Then the 403….ugh.

I like highway 27 up. It’s typically lightly used and still good time can be made. You can reach beyond Barrie and start exploring with Horseshoe Valley Road going EB and then meander toward Algonquin. But @shanekingsley will have a much better suggestion than that.
If I'm trying to get to and from Barrie when there is a massive amount of traffic on the 400, or if I just want to take a more relaxed route, then I will often take Weston Rd north to Hwy9, then take Sideroad #5 north to Barrie. From Barrie I can take the backroads around the city or hop on the 400 at Essa Rd - all depends on how much time I want to spend. I like taking this route over Hwy 27, because this one has less traffic and I can often see the highway from Sideroad #5 and make the decision if I can jump back on it.
Something like: Weston to Barrie
1633089248903.png

Just don't do it an hour before you leave on a long trip.

Best advice for any sort of work. Hell, I put a pair of heated grips on my Vulcan yesterday and was even paranoid doing that 3 days before I leave for the Cabot. I had to sand down the throttle tube and all I could think of was if something went wrong...where the hell am I going to find a replacement Kawasaki throttle tube in 24 hours.

If you're brave, bleed the systems. Just don't do it an hour before you leave on a long trip.
Flush is probably better. Brake fluid accumulated a bit of water over time, I flush mine every 3rd season. Flushing is easier than bleeding as there should be no air in a working system -- you're just displacing old fluid by pushing new fluid from the reservoir thru the lines and out the caliper.

Tips:
  • Always use a new sealed container of fluid. An open container will gradually absorb humidity snd be as 'wet' as the stuff you are flushing out.
  • A cheapie speed bleeder or brake bleeder bottle makes this easy for one person.
  • Do back, front, and clutch if it's hydraulic.

I ended up leaving home late, so I went for a shorter ride instead. So maybe next week.

'Might run up Friday with a couple of my BMWF buddies...

It just sucks having to slab it the first 2 hours

'BMWF buddy dumped his bike yesterday and broke his leg goodly. Surgery Monday...
No fall colours for him..!!

*Spiral fracture of both Fibula and Tibia

dNyyXnB.jpg

Last edited:
'BMWF buddy dumped his bike yesterday and broke his leg goodly. Surgery Monday...
No fall colours for him..!!

*Spiral fracture of both Fibula and Tibia

dNyyXnB.jpg
Can you ask his wife how much she wants for the bike?

Back
Top Bottom