A Ride up North - James Bay | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

A Ride up North - James Bay

You guys are way too hardcore for us with this camping stuff!lolWe have proper reservations for single accommodations except for one night at Relay 381 where we will have to share rooms.our average age is 62.5 So we do like the comfortable life.lol
Age is no excuse. 60 is about the average of the group I camp/ride with.

Closest we've come to bears was an abandoned gravel pit for the night littered with shells and some bear scat.

Thinking of making the same trip myself towards the end of the summer. For those who are considering doing the Trans-Taiga as well, what is your plan for gas? Mirage outfitters is at km 358, so it looks like you need 616km of autonomy to get to the end of the TT and back to Mirage?

That's quite a bit of extra gas to carry...I'd probably want 20L to feel safe. I guess the solution would be two 3-gallon Rotopax?

Thinking of making the same trip myself towards the end of the summer. For those who are considering doing the Trans-Taiga as well, what is your plan for gas? Mirage outfitters is at km 358, so it looks like you need 616km of autonomy to get to the end of the TT and back to Mirage?

That's quite a bit of extra gas to carry...I'd probably want 20L to feel safe. I guess the solution would be two 3-gallon Rotopax?
We also figure 20L on our bikes if fuel is unavailable.

The only bear I saw on the Trip was crossing the street in Timmins. At first I didn't even realize what is was, but there was a street sign for bear crossings there. :ROFLMAO: ?‍♂️ No other wild life otherwise.

As long as we're not camping near landfill, bears aren't really a concern

Having had an oh-**** moment with a bear while camping before (that turned out to be a non event, but an oh-**** moment nonetheless) your perspective changes once you've had that eye to eye contact situation happen to you and you're alone in the woods, on foot, and the bear is hungry.

Anyhow, I'm all for camping, like I said.

I got my new self-setting tent last year that I was all excited about but it turned out to be just too big & awkward to fit on the bike once it was all said and done....so back to my old POS tent it is.

I will have to carry a Jerry Can of fuel as well as my mileage tops out at somewhere between 250-300km depending on speed, and drops precipitously from there the faster I go....the downside of pushing the broadside of a barn through the air. I have several I've travelled with before in varying sizes, but my 15L can should get the job done for the JRB stretch.

Last edited:
On the topic of high miles, I was talking about AirHawk's earlier today with someone and they mentioned the Wild Ass cushion lineup and how much they loved theirs. And this is coming from a previous AirHawk owner.

I remembered seeing the Wild Ass display at Americade 3 or 4 years ago but couldn't remember the name.

Although reviews of AirHawk's are mixed sometimes, reviews of the Wild Ass setups are almost universally amazing.

Found them on sale at Fortnine this morning so I ordered one. Still just north of $200 for the cruiser version, but when it comes to comfort, I'll spend whatever - especially with sciatica..although (knock on wood) it's been really good recently.

Heads up for anyone looking to improve their long-mileage day comfort.

Sorry, I have a BMW GS, which means I only ride as far as the closest Starbucks.
Please note the man said Starbucks. F'in Baller.

3 years roadside assistance, tell them to tow it to Toronto.

80 km past the hydro dam at the end there is was an outfitter with gas. BMWR says it may not be opened now though. Was that confirmed B'rider?

80 km past the hydro dam at the end there is was an outfitter with gas. BMWR says it may not be opened now though. Was that confirmed B'rider?
According to Luc at the Mirage getting fuel there is quite sporatic and says it is better to carry our own fuel.

Things have changed perhaps. We rode in. She made us coffee then cooked a meal for us. After being refreshed we followed her a km or two to the gas depot.

Back
Top Bottom