A Ride up North - James Bay | Page 18 | GTAMotorcycle.com

A Ride up North - James Bay

I have commitments that weekend. If it gets bumped for whatever reason, I'd be interested

Sent from my Redmi 7A using Tapatalk

So, for anyone who expressed interest in a group ride up the JBR earlier in this thread.....if the decision that comes down in late August is that the US border is still closed to Canadians, I'm about 90% sure this will be my go-to trip instead.

All those still interested, chime in please. I think a group of 4 or 5 would be ideal so we're not into a herding cats situation.

Potential departure day, Saturday September 4'th.

Just announced…border staying closed until Sept. 21st

811c832672ea5bb93ffe41d51096eebc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had spare oiled filters on our trip for that exact reason.

We had spare oiled filters on our trip for that exact reason.
The only bike that had air cleaner blockage issues was the KLR.The filter was plugged and a bit of cleaning and reoiling solved that.There was no noticeable difference in performance on the Tiger 800.

Hey all. Life thew some seriously ****** curve balls our way in the last few weeks. Trip isn't happening as a result.

I might still try to get a good ride in somewhere in the next 2-4 weeks once the dust settles, but it won't be the JBR or anything like that. I'm eyeballing the "end of 138" in Kegashka Quebec just for the hell of it, or who knows...maybe I'll go out and do the Gaspe Peninsula again despite already having been there once this year. I just need some zen miles at this point even if it's solo.

Wondering if there's still a chance of getting this back on the radar of the group that was interested last yr?

It's on my radar again, but given the constant curveballs covid is throwing our way I'm not even entertaining trying to plan anything until at least probably May...assuming Omicron starts to fizzle out and it looks like we might actually have a decent summer. I really want to do the damn tour, but until things relax who knows if they'll be running them this year.

I still have this on my radar. 2nd week of May is the earliest you can go -- the JBR gets blizzards and sub zero days till about May 15. And the bugs are epic in May and June -- Mosquitos, Black Flies and Deer flies cloud the air sometimes -- they can clog a radiator over a 100 mile run.

For me, late August would be best. Nice riding temps, rains are not too cold, and while mosquitos never let up, the black and deer flies are all but gone.

I would love to but this year between the new baby (girl!), renovations, and all the good stuff….I’d be shocked if I can get away for a day, let alone 4-5.

4 days is a stretch - ( we did it but then I had a RDL seat too ) and you need a day there if you want to see the power station which I regret not doing. Besides with covid the way it is will not likely be open nor will the Cree community Chisabi.

It's funny he mentions a "get me home" mode for the gps but there's only one road.

They skip the North Road but it is worth taking. The gravel was excellent when we rode it.

It's funny he mentions a "get me home" mode for the gps but there's only one road.

They skip the North Road but it is worth taking. The gravel was excellent when we rode it.
The North Rd was my undoing!There was lots of loose gravel at about the 200 km mark which made it quite difficult for myself.Did a few adjustments and it was a lot better but I fell victim to a hole in the middle of a bunch of stutter bumps at speed.The rim was bent and cracked so I was done.
The lesson of not riding aggressive on Cast rims.I have a new 22 1250 GSA with spoke rims which should solve this issue.

So I'm looking at booking vacation for the year and I'm thinking of doing a spring run. I'm trying to find the best balance between having icy roads vs blackfly season. I don't mind if the temperatures are on the low side, but I don't want to be camped out waiting for ice to melt either.

Mid May?

I’m definitely still interested but until such time that I can confirm that the dam tours are going to be running, I’m out - don’t get me wrong, I know part of the adventure is the ride itself, and touching the water at James Bay and being able to say I’ve rode to Nunavut is awesome at all, however to go all the way up there and not tour the dam seems like a big missing piece of the trip to me at least.

There’s still a big question about what the Covid situation will be up there that early in the year as well. Outsiders may very well not receive a warm welcome.

Many questions remain for me at least.

I think there's two different trips proposed in this thread. A James Bay Highway (JBH) and or the Trans Taiga. I'm looking at the Trans Taiga as my primary goal. Seems like a number of riders did it last year, although fall seems to be preferred

Sent from my Armor X8 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom