2022 Day Trips! | Page 12 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2022 Day Trips!

What is a better road for a day trip Southwood or 507?
They are very different and I would suggest to go with what is closer to you if you have been to neither.

Southwood is much tighter and technical. There are some bumps and frost heaves in the corners and sand is often found late in the season. There are also a couple of really rough railway crossings which you should slow down for. But overall it's a really fun road and the fall colours are amazing along it.

The 507 is a much faster moving road with wide open sweepers and no tight technical turns. You can get yourself into trouble if you are going too quick, as there are some intersecting forest roads that slow moving vehicles might turn out of. North of the 507 are also some amazing roads in and around Haliburton and Bancroft.

Since I live in Mississauga and like the tighter stuff, I would prefer to go with Southwood and then also hit up the roads in the Muskoka region for some added fun. I haven't been on either since the spring, so others can chime in on the current road conditions of both.

Took a drive with the kids to FOTC to get them out of the house…never again. So many people…so much OPP it’s ridiculous.

Felt bad for the riders behind me because I had to do 20kph behind the tourists.

Took a drive with the kids to FOTC to get them out of the house…never again. So many people…so much OPP it’s ridiculous.

Felt bad for the riders behind me because I had to do 20kph behind the tourists.
FOTC?

I was going to go through it last week on my maiden Vstrom ride but I was in a bit of a time crunch so opted to pass. Even on a weekday I'm sure there would have been decent "traffic"

They are very different and I would suggest to go with what is closer to you if you have been to neither.

Southwood is much tighter and technical. There are some bumps and frost heaves in the corners and sand is often found late in the season. There are also a couple of really rough railway crossings which you should slow down for. But overall it's a really fun road and the fall colours are amazing along it.

The 507 is a much faster moving road with wide open sweepers and no tight technical turns. You can get yourself into trouble if you are going too quick, as there are some intersecting forest roads that slow moving vehicles might turn out of. North of the 507 are also some amazing roads in and around Haliburton and Bancroft.

Since I live in Mississauga and like the tighter stuff, I would prefer to go with Southwood and then also hit up the roads in the Muskoka region for some added fun. I haven't been on either since the spring, so others can chime in on the current road conditions of both.
Thank you so much for the information on both roads it's a huge help!

I've always wondered about that road, seems like a lot of people like it, and I think it takes you to that lookout. Will get out there one day. But from your description doesn't sound much different then say HWY 41 out of Belleville, which was pretty decent more north you went.

I love 41. Those sweepers are fantastic!

@kurtrules, great photos, looks like a similar trip I did last month, but with an incredibly expensive overnight in Huntsville. ( hotel saw us coming).

Portage road and the dock are great spots for photos.

I rode the bike around the corner and got some burrs stuck on me:
4wuCARXl.jpg
IKKKeq8l.jpg
IKKKeq8l.jpg
XdH9o77l.jpg

My rough itinerary today, left home at 6 am, just got back, slabbed it after peterborough

1665536407453.png

20221011_122856.jpg

20221011_151045.jpg20221011_104130.jpg20221011_103202.jpg20221011_100707.jpg20221011_104124.jpg20221011_092041.jpg

Last edited:
Seeing these pics it looks like I'll need to install a GOPRO or some other camera on my bike! Stopping, pulling out a phone, and then taking a picture just takes a long time.

Back
Top Bottom