2022 Day Trips! | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2022 Day Trips!

Barry’s Bay and Combermere are great riding areas.

Recommend the Bent Anchor to relax and have lunch in the shade by the river.

Bent Anchor Bar & Restaurant Opening June 15 2022!
(613) 869-8159
Thanks will try and check it out tomorrow.

We've been renting the same place right off Old Barry’s Bay Rd which is quite convenient. I think my cousins have been renting it for 8-10 years or so.

I may try riding over to Griffith via Calabogie for a picnic lunch. That's supposed to be a good stretch.

Also, pretty much anything that begins with a 5.

Made it to the Griffith Picnic Spot, but not for lunch.
28 Hyland Creek Rd, Griffith, ON K0J 2R0

Didn't see @mimico_polak there.
Was a nice ride. There's a few spots of gravel where they put new drainage under the road.

Edit: Route and a couple of pictures:
Diamondview Estates to Diamondview Estates

JRxIa9Kh.png

eWq9xeRm.jpg
vYD2eekm.jpg

wdV0CU3h.jpg

b4ocGMEm.jpg
erPuze0m.jpg

Hazards:
l2NKvLHm.png
3gEHJ3zm.png

5FyD9JMm.png
Ekdv7iqm.png

Happy little rider I waved by:
wDoAkRVh.png

Last edited:
A Polish gathering near Barry’s Bay? You don’t say! 🤣🤪
Lightly attended as they discouraged parents from showing up. Too many kids would miss home after the first week and it killed the second week.

There’s also a big mass for those that elect to go so lots of people showed up for that as it was their only real way to see their kids.

Only a few fainted this year as they made the mass earlier.

63956693-C4A6-4508-82F8-42A744A83455.jpeg

and you do this for fun ? 🤪 ;)
Yes.

Riding good roads - check
Time with good friends and cousins - check
Beautiful scenery - check
Kids love it - check

Don’t see many negatives here…except the 4hr drive. But the kids are good and the youngest fell asleep on 403/Mavis and woke up in Barry’s Bay!

Yes.

Riding good roads - check
Time with good friends and cousins - check
Beautiful scenery - check
Kids love it - check

Don’t see many negatives here…except the 4hr drive. But the kids are good and the youngest fell asleep on 403/Mavis and woke up in Barry’s Bay!
no perogis?
Dislike.

Made it out to Calabogie and back today before the thunderstorms. No pictures. Video is of my friend's back mostly.

Will add the route after I download the track file.

I'll try and do a good run with scenic stops when the weather gets better.

Yikkies yesterday was difficult to stay cool. I thought I would head up to Kearney as usually around there it generally is a cool area. Nope, frickin hot everyplace. Now I think about it I should have went to Bala, the area around the falls is usually quite cool.

Nothing special about the trip. Usual places and trying to avoid HWY 11 as much as possible.
Washago/Gravenhust/Bracebridge/Novar/Kearney/Burk Falls/Magnetawan.

Stopped to see the steamship in Gravenhurst
IMG_5296.jpg

Pitstop in Magnetawan
IMG_5300.jpg

Oh and Bugsanity. It was so bad at night I thought it was raining.
IMG_5302.jpg

Decided to blow off work today and took advantage of no humidity. It was a good day of riding.

Nothing too special, headed towards Peterborough, by way of Omemee, Stopped by the locks. Then off to Lakefield, Burleigh Falls to Northeys Bay Rd. Then down to Havelock, then back up to Warsaw, Burleigh Falls again, and Buckhorn, Bobcaygeon, Lindsay then home.

Best part was the pitstop in Buckhorn. I got there just in time to see the Live Music by the Lock

music sign.jpg

The band! They played well together, stuck around for a couple of tunes.
band.jpg

Lock was all full with boats
boats.jpg

BTW gas in Lindsay was the lest expensive I've seen lately, $1.53 for reg, $1.85 for 91!!

Last edited:
The BMW Test Ride caravan rolled into town today.

Unfortunately I registered too late, and this is the only thing available to test ride in the morning slot:

IMG-20220810-WA0001-XL.jpg

LOL. It's an electric scooter. BMW CE-04.

Funky looking thing. Although the display is huge, it doesn't really show you a lot of information:

DSCN3357-L.jpg

The main screen shows charging and discharging status, battery level, and speed. Yes that's right, at 98% charge, it'll only go 86 kms till empty. BMW has some regenerative tricks to recharge while riding, so the claimed range is about 130 kms.

Neda got in on the R nine T Scrambler:

DSCN3360-X2.jpg

The test ride was led by one of the local sales guys who we knew well. So we slotted in right behind him and tried to push him to go faster in the corners... :)

The little 'lectric scoot has good power off the line. If you twist the throttle WFO, it'll move the bike at a brisk pace. Not S1000RR fast, but enough to make you go:

0Ccwb.jpg

Seating position is typical knees-together-scooter-strange. But I found that if you put the passenger pegs down, you can reach back with your feet and use them like rearsets. Then in the corners, you can hang off the scooter and brace your outside knee on the seat.

It feels... not like a sportbike at all.... :D

Top speed: 120 km/h. It's belt-driven, like most scooters. Has some storage space under the seat, just enough for a full face helmet and absolutely nothing else.

BMW is asking $20,000 CAD for the base model. And then add a few extra grand for all the necessities... like wheels and handlebars...

Uh yeah... that's a big nope from me. I can buy much more interesting bikes for that kinda dough.

Anyway, the ride was interesting, but not that fun. I miss the control of having a clutch lever and picking which gear I want to be in. When motorcycles eventually go all-electric, the clutch and gears are the biggest things I'll mourn. :(

We got back from the 56 km test ride and the battery was at 60%... I guess the 130 km range seems fairly legit.

DSCN3361-X2.jpg

Neda's last ride was the Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled, and this bike is also Scrambler-styled. She said the bars are not as high as the Duc, so it's a more forward-leaning seating position. Also the power is noticeable down from the ShiftCam boxer engine of her R1250RS. The R Nine T uses the older 1200cc non-VTEC engine, which is about 25% less powerful.

Although the Desert Sled is quite a bit down on power (73 hp vs 107 hp) , she prefers the Duc Scrambler over the R nine T Scrambler, mainly because of the seating position and handling.

When we returned, I stuck around hoping to snag a ride on the bike I originally wanted to test ride. As luck would have it, the rider who was booked on that bike didn't show up for the next round of test-rides, so I got a chance to try this:

s1kxr-X2.jpg

S1000XR! I've been wanting to ride this for a while.

The seat was a bit strange. Very scooped out. I think they may have put a low-seat on this thing. Couldn't move around on it too much, as your butt just fits snugly in the bucket-like seat.

First thing I noticed is that the engine has no-bottom-end torque! I have not ridden an in-line 4 in years. I think the last time was over a decade ago. So I forgot that these engines like to be spooled up to the higher revs to wring out any kind of grin-inducing powah...

From a stop, you have to rev the engine quite a bit, about 3-4K to get it to move off the line. Very different from the torquey twins and thumpers I've been used to riding in the last little while, where you just let the clutch lever out at idle and the bike moves.

Engine heat is a lot more noticeable than the boxer bikes, even at speed.

I like the wide handlebars. They make for telepathic cornering. Just think about turning and the bike moves in the direction you want it to. As long as you're in the right gear, you can squirt out of corners with satisfying grunt. Too high a gear and the engine just isn't as responsive. Just gotta ride these I4s differently...

It's always fun riding other people's bikes hard! :D

Last edited:
The BMW Test Ride caravan rolled into town today.

Unfortunately I registered too late, and this is the only thing available to test ride in the morning slot:

IMG-20220810-WA0001-XL.jpg

LOL. It's an electric scooter. BMW CE-04.

Funky looking thing. Although the display is huge, it doesn't really show you a lot of information:

DSCN3357-L.jpg

The main screen shows charging and discharging status, battery level, and speed. Yes that's right, at 98% charge, it'll only go 86 kms till empty. BMW has some regenerative tricks to recharge while riding, so the claimed range is about 130 kms.

Neda got in on the R nine T Scrambler:

DSCN3360-X2.jpg

The test ride was led by one of the local sales guys who we knew well. So we slotted in right behind him and tried to push him to go faster in the corners... :)

The little 'lectric scoot has good power off the line. If you twist the throttle WFO, it'll move the bike at a brisk pace. Not S1000RR fast, but enough to make you go:

0Ccwb.jpg

Seating position is typical knees-together-scooter-strange. But I found that if you put the passenger pegs down, you can reach back with your feet and use them like rearsets. Then in the corners, you can hang off the scooter and brace your outside knee on the seat.

It feels... not like a sportbike at all.... :D

Top speed: 120 km/h. It's belt-driven, like most scooters. Has some storage space under the seat, just enough for a full face helmet and absolutely nothing else.

BMW is asking $20,000 CAD for the base model. And then add a few extra grand for all the necessities... like wheels and handlebars...

Uh yeah... that's a big nope from me. I can buy much more interesting bikes for that kinda dough.

Anyway, the ride was interesting, but not that fun. I miss the control of having a clutch lever and picking which gear I want to be in. When motorcycles eventually go all-electric, the clutch and gears are the biggest things I'll mourn. :(

We got back from the 56 km test ride and the battery was at 60%... I guess the 130 km range seems fairly legit.

DSCN3361-X2.jpg

Neda's last ride was the Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled, and this bike is also Scrambler-styled. She said the bars are not as high as the Duc, so it's a more forward-leaning seating position. Also the power is noticeable down from the ShiftCam boxer engine of her R1250RS. The R Nine T uses the older 1200cc non-VTEC engine, which is about 25% less powerful.

Although the Desert Sled is quite a bit down on power (73 hp vs 107 hp) , she prefers the Duc Scrambler over the R nine T Scrambler, mainly because of the seating position and handling.

When we returned, I stuck around hoping to snag a ride on the bike I originally wanted to test ride. As luck would have it, the rider who was booked on that bike didn't show up for the next round of test-rides, so I got a chance to try this:

s1kxr-X2.jpg

S1000XR! I've been wanting to ride this for a while.

The seat was a bit strange. Very scooped out. I think they may have put a low-seat on this thing. Couldn't move around on it too much, as your butt just fits snugly in the bucket-like seat.

First thing I noticed is that the engine has no-bottom-end torque! I have not ridden an in-line 4 in years. I think the last time was over a decade ago. So I forgot that these engines like to be spooled up to the higher revs to wring out any kind of grin-inducing powah...

From a stop, you have to rev the engine quite a bit, about 3-4K to get it to move off the line. Very different from the torquey twins and thumpers I've been used to riding in the last little while, where you just let the clutch lever out at idle and the bike moves.

Engine heat is a lot more noticeable than the boxer bikes, even at speed.

I like the wide handlebars. They make for telepathic cornering. Just think about turning and the bike moves in the direction you want it to. As long as you're in the right gear, you can squirt out of corners with satisfying grunt. Too high a gear and the engine just isn't as responsive. Just gotta ride these I4s differently...

It's always fun riding other people's bikes hard! :D
Just an FYI on the XR as I have one and agree stock bottom end is weak and I really didn't like the bike stock, it's the Euro5 tuning that kills it. A proper header without cat and a tune DRAMATICALLY improves the bottom/midrange and makes it a monster in that area. It'll gain top-end in the 7-10hp range which isn't huge but that midrange wake-up is what transforms the bike into awesomeness.

Back
Top Bottom