2021 Day Trips! | Page 14 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2021 Day Trips!

At least 3 hours out of the 8 is stretching on the roadside and positive affirmations to myself, to keep going lol
all the weight is on the front, and the clipons are low so it turned on a dime, but my upper body hated it

rode up to owen sound area for no particular reason

oBaLy0G.jpg

Not gonna lie, every time I see a picture of your bike, I imagine you also carrying a bottle of windex and a microfibre cloth in a backpack or pannier everywhere you go.

Or this:

resize

haha i've yet to actually wash this bike but im not looking forward to it. i spent years getting rid of chrome on my previous bikes, only to circle back to this chromed out monstrosity!

Yesterday's ride up to Muskoka.

Thanks to @jdmsteR for letting me know about Port Sydney and Huntsville lookout, great suggestions.

The route was pretty simple, mostly to hit up those destinations, and other stops along the way. The one exception was HWY 46 from 117 to HWY 10. At first it was great, then I hit this long stretch of construction. It wasn't even gravel it was dirt and muck, because they were in the process of grading it. Not fun, bit slippery in spots.

I've been through Gravenhurst and Bracebridge a few times but never really looked around, found some stuff I didn't notice before will have to go back and explore some more.

Here is how it went
jul 29 route.png

Falls in Port Sydney
port sydney falls.jpg

Opposite side of the falls is quite picturesque
port sydney falls 2.jpg

Huntsville Lookout over the river side
huntsville lookout 1.jpg

Other side of lookout view of Fairy Lake
huntsville lookout 2.jpg

Burk Falls, why not, and to see this Food Truck as mentioned by @Evoex @mimico_polak

Actually the girl at the Shell asked me why the heck I came all this way to Burk Falls 🤷‍♂️ :ROFLMAO:
burk falls food truck.jpg

On the way back home, stop in Gravenhurst.
gravenhurst.jpg

Yesterday's ride up to Muskoka.

Thanks to @jdmsteR for letting me know about Port Sydney and Huntsville lookout, great suggestions.

The route was pretty simple, mostly to hit up those destinations, and other stops along the way. The one exception was HWY 46 from 117 to HWY 10. At first it was great, then I hit this long stretch of construction. It wasn't even gravel it was dirt and muck, because they were in the process of grading it. Not fun, bit slippery in spots.

I've been through Gravenhurst and Bracebridge a few times but never really looked around, found some stuff I didn't notice before will have to go back and explore some more.

Here is how it went
View attachment 50246

Falls in Port Sydney
View attachment 50247

Opposite side of the falls is quite picturesque
View attachment 50248

Huntsville Lookout over the river side
View attachment 50249

Other side of lookout view of Fairy Lake
View attachment 50250

Burk Falls, why not, and to see this Food Truck as mentioned by @Evoex @mimico_polak

Actually the girl at the Shell asked me why the heck I came all this way to Burk Falls 🤷‍♂️ :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 50252

On the way back home, stop in Gravenhurst.
View attachment 50251
Nice ride and beautiful pictures! You have some discipline for not eating those pierogies :)
If you have the time the next time you are up that way, continue heading east from Kearney, and it will loop up to Chetwynd Rd and over to Burks Falls. It's a bit nicer than going back and up the Hwy 11 without adding too much time onto your day. Something like:
1627571265600.png

Nice ride and beautiful pictures! You have some discipline for not eating those pierogies :)
If you have the time the next time you are up that way, continue heading east from Kearney, and it will loop up to Chetwynd Rd and over to Burks Falls. It's a bit nicer than going back and up the Hwy 11 without adding too much time onto your day. Something like:
View attachment 50253
Thank you for this!! Seriously. (y)

Every time I explore around Kearney on Google Maps I see a more defined highway with this half loop, and tell myself I will do this once I am up that way. Once I get there I can't figure it out 🤦‍♂️. I use MapsME on my phone and it's not as clearly noticeable, for day trips I don't plan a route and upload to GPS either. I may have to in this case!

Usually I take HWY 592 between Novar and Burk Falls, it's a nice quiet road between the trees. That area smells so fresh, pine etc.

Thank you for this!! Seriously. (y)

Every time I explore around Kearney on Google Maps I see a more defined highway with this half loop, and tell myself I will do this once I am up that way. Once I get there I can't figure it out 🤦‍♂️. I use MapsME on my phone and it's not as clearly noticeable, for day trips I don't plan a route and upload to GPS either. I may have to in this case!

Usually I take HWY 592 between Novar and Burk Falls, it's a nice quiet road between the trees. That area smells so fresh, pine etc.
The first time I took Chetwynd it was for the reason you just described - just to see what was over there. I didn't have a GPS back then, but I had a backroads mapbook and wrote out turn by turn directions slipped into my tankbag. About 5 or 7 years ago the road was in really great shape and there was zero traffic. I haven't been on it in a few years, so hopefully it's still in good shape.

I’ll trailer my bike up to Kearney next time as we’ve got friends with cottages there. Beautiful area.
For your bike if you don't mind doing some light gravel, then there are some really sweet fire roads and logging roads to check out. I did a ride out that way to explore the west side of Algonquin and all those roads are posted here: Gravel and Forest Roads

Even on street tires they are easy as long as it hasn't rained in a while. This was a month after I bought this bike and it had rained the day before - the first of many drops to come.
DSCN9015.jpg

It's summertime and the Okanagan is on fire again. It's pretty bad this year because of the unusually high temperatures coupled with the normally scarce rainfall. Winds are non-existent which is both a good thing and a bad thing. Good, because it's helping stop the spread of wildfires, but bad because there's a permanent cloud of smoke which is hanging all over the valley - a 1,500 km cloud stretching from Idaho State all the way up to Prince George.

We still manage to make it outside for our day rides, but the second we step out the front door, the air smells like a campfire. Ash continuously falls slowly from the sky, and the black of our seats quickly become covered with grey summer snow. It's difficult to tell what time of day it is because wildfire smoke has turned the sun into a hazy, red ball hanging in the air like a faded Christmas ornament.

DSC_0929-X2.jpg

smokecloud-X2.jpg

This was 7:30AM.

Last edited:
the force is strong with someone:
1627939085398.png

Absolutely my favourite place for swimming.
Have been going since it opened
Our family cottage (where my Mom now lives full time) is just around the corner from Awenda. We used to have about 100 ft of sandy beach, but rising water levels over the last 10 years have reduced it to about 15ft. But at least the air and water are really clean. Love it up here - just wish there was some twisty roads!
View from the roof as I was cleaning out the eaves today with Giants Tomb in the distance:
i-jMrG99T.jpg

It's summertime and the Okanagan is on fire again. It's pretty bad this year because of the unusually high temperatures coupled with the normally scarce rainfall. Winds are non-existent which is both a good thing and a bad thing. Good, because it's helping stop the spread of wildfires, but bad because there's a permanent cloud of smoke which is hanging all over the valley - a 1,500 km cloud stretching from Idaho State all the way up to Prince George.

We still manage to make it outside for our day rides, but the second we step out the front door, the air smells like a campfire. Ash continuously falls slowly from the sky, and the black of our seats quickly become covered with grey summer snow. It's difficult to tell what time of day it is because wildfire smoke has turned the sun into a hazy, red ball hanging in the air like a faded Christmas ornament.

DSC_0929-X2.jpg

smokecloud-X2.jpg

This was 7:30AM.
Awesome pics.

When you go out riding every day, are you wearing face masks to make it easier to breathe?
I remember leaving your place last year and only making it about an hour or two and I could feel my throat getting sore even with a full face helmet on. And that wasn’t even local fires either. It was surprisingly easier to breathe with the face mask on.

Hope you are both doing good and some rain comes your way!

It's summertime and the Okanagan is on fire again.
Yeah it's pretty crazy, I have friends in PG, and they can't escape it as soon as you go outside it impacts you. Kinda surprised it hasn't rained yet.

Today I finally managed to ride up to Bradford, where I lived for 16 years in the 90's and 00's.. Blew my mind, the growth. On the way into town, every conceivable store is present. I quite liked living there but a woman with exceptional breasts lured me out of there and over to Georgina for a period of time that I can only describe as a mistake of biblical proportions, but at least we had an inground pool and a jaw-dropping view. Then I scooted over to New Tecumseh, buddy has a nice undeveloped property outside of town. Did some tanning there and came home to Sauga. I know, I know, big deal, but it was good to get out and up there my body and brain often keep me off 2 wheels. OK, as you were....

Back
Top Bottom