2021 Day Trips! | Page 21 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2021 Day Trips!

66D451BD-9E18-4096-8CAD-B59C54B67E02.jpegAF501E26-82FC-4583-B24E-A4FDFB7F6CC6.jpegDC03E702-7430-41EF-92F7-E27FC7BCCA8D.jpeg

Left home by 8am yesterday and temperature was at 10c. Not super cold but a great first test of my new FXR MC Adventure jacket and wow do I ever love this coat. Best liner I’ve ever found.
County 29 out to Warkworth is usually a nice start but as I found out it was torn up getting tar/chip. We’ll bike now filthy so let’s explore some back roads.
Campbelford over to Tweed and Marlbank Rd on the way out. Marlbank is nice but others like 32 and 3 are just country heaven.
Explored the backroads of Westport. Desert Lake Rd being one of the best. Missed a deer by about a foot the first time. The second one was more interested in berries and even the aftermarket full exhaust on the XR wasn’t enough to scare it away so I said hello.

Stopped in Westport for some sammies at the marina and pulled up beside a stopped Pan America. Nice guy. Chatted about bikes a bit then left……without taking his phone. I stuck around to see if he’d come back for it, and met a nice lad from Scotland who has a new GS here for a wedding. Again chatted for quite a while about bikes, riding differences between Canada/Scotland. Being the marina area it was busy with tourists walking by so I figured I could track down HD guy through the bike community so I tossed his phone in my case. Ended up finding him by chance on a Westport backroad so I flagged him down. Worked out well.
Explored backroads on the way out of there and found Crow Lake Rd which was fun.
Did the whole Oompah Stomp and found the colours changing and roads still in great shape and empty. Took the 511 up to Bogie amd considered doing a lap of 34 while there but time was getting on so I just headed down to Matawatchan Rd. Followed an ambulance with lights on down 508 and guessed correctly on what was ahead. Fatal bike crash on east end of Matawatchan so I back tracked and did 34 and 132 over to 41 back south and then headed west back home.
Just over 750km in total. Beautiful weather. Found a lot of great roads, some under construction, some always gravel. Filthy bike, bbq and beer at the end of a great day.

Last edited:
View attachment 51385View attachment 51384View attachment 51383

Left home by 8am yesterday and temperature was at 10c. Not super cold but a great first test of my new FXR MC Adventure jacket and wow do I ever love this coat. Best liner I’ve ever found.
County 29 out to Warkworth is usually a nice start but as I found out it was torn up getting tar/chip. We’ll bike now filthy so let’s explore some back roads.
Campbelford over to Tweed and Marlbank Rd on the way out. Marlbank is nice but others like 32 and 3 are just country heaven.
Explored the backroads of Westport. Desert Lake Rd being one of the best. Missed a deer by about a foot the first time. The second one was more interested in berries and even the aftermarket full exhaust on the XR wasn’t enough to scare it away so I said hello.

Stopped in Westport for some sammies at the marina and pulled up beside a stopped Pan America. Nice guy. Chatted about bikes a bit then left……without taking his phone. I stuck around to see if he’d come back for it, and met a nice lad from Scotland who has a new GS here for a wedding. Again chatted for quite a while about bikes, riding differences between Canada/Scotland. Being the marina area it was busy with tourists walking by so I figured I could track down HD guy through the bike community so I tossed his phone in my case. Ended up finding him by chance on a Westport backroad so I flagged him down. Worked out well.
Explored backroads on the way out of there and found Crow Lake Rd which was fun.
Did the whole Oompah Stomp and found the colours changing and roads still in great shape and empty. Took the 511 up to Bogie amd considered doing a lap of 34 while there but time was getting on so I just headed down to Matawatchan Rd. Followed an ambulance with lights on down 508 and guessed correctly on what was ahead. Fatal bike crash on east end of Matawatchan so I back tracked and did 34 and 132 over to 41 back south and then headed west back home.
Just over 750km in total. Beautiful weather. Found a lot of great roads, some under construction, some always gravel. Filthy bike, bbq and beer at the end of a great day.
Great report, must check our 32 and 3 as I usually go over to desert lake the long but enjoyable way through Tamworth and over to 38 on Mountain Rd. (5th lake road).

Westport is a great lunch stop.

Short ride to Jackson's Point at Lake Simcoe for a sunrise coffee. Very uneventful ride but the sunrise was spectacular.
SHzxfM4.jpg

Anyone out here without heated gear still doing longer day/multi-day rides or is it too late for that?

Went down to GP bikes yesterday along the 7. Was cold at the start, and at the end on the way back.
I ended up getting an Olympia Dakar 3 jacket. Bonus was they'd started a no GST sale.
Jacket was good for halfway back with the liner out, then I had to put it back in, brrr.

Still mostly green on the trees on the way down. Some have changed.

Last edited:
Heated grips, heated seat, good technical jacket and pants lots of riding weather left.

Summer is too short so need to extend the season as much as reasonably possible.

All the best,
Two

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have heated grips, but they don't work so well, have to change them for new ones.
Otherwise I just layer up.

I picked up a used set of Gerber -> make that Gerbing gloves and jacket last week off Kijiji. Just hooked it all up in the garage and all of the wiring seems like a PITA but will see once I try it on a ride.

I've always had heated grips which are nice and simple but didn't want to mess around with them on the Thunderbird.

Last edited:
I picked up a used set of Gerber gloves and jacket last week off Kijiji. Just hooked it all up in the garage and all of the wiring seems like a PITA but will see once I try it on a ride.

I've always had heated grips which are nice and simple but didn't want to mess around with them on the Thunderbird.
What kind of a controller do you use to adjust the power output to the gloves and jacket?
By the way Gerber gloves are for babies:)

I get cold super fast, so riding on cold mornings means I have to have heated gloves at a minimum. Since they easily plug into the jacket which is better than some bulky long harness, might as well wear the heated jacket too and be super comfortable. Heated socks will come out on the longer rides when it's below 5deg.

I have Hippo Hands which I might install this winter and see what a difference they make.

What kind of a controller do you use to adjust the power output to the gloves and jacket?

I get cold super fast, so riding on cold mornings means I have to have heated gloves at a minimum. Since they easily plug into the jacket which is better than some bulky long harness, might as well wear the heated jacket too and be super comfortable. Heated socks will come out on the longer rides when it's below 5deg.

I have Hippo Hands which I might install this winter and see what a difference they make.
Are those like old school muffs? I have a pair I switch between the bike to the sled. They work great and no wiring.

Are those like old school muffs? I have a pair I switch between the bike to the sled. They work great and no wiring.
They are.
My last bike didn't have hand guards, so I didn't install them on that bike, since moving at speed presses them up against your hands and makes it difficult to work the levers. Current bike has Barkbusters hand guards with a steel brush guard, so it seems like the perfect time to try them out again.

They sure look dorky, but for someone with cold hands, it might mean that I can even ride without my heated gloves.

They are.
My last bike didn't have hand guards, so I didn't install them on that bike, since moving at speed presses them up against your hands and makes it difficult to work the levers. Current bike has Barkbusters hand guards with a steel brush guard, so it seems like the perfect time to try them out again.

They sure look dorky, but for someone with cold hands, it might mean that I can even ride without my heated gloves.
I used them on a FZ6 (amongst others) and they would catch air and push on the brake lever slightly. A simple metal strap gear clamped to the bar, inside the muff solved that.

Lol, I meant Gerbing not Gerber.

See here at about 5:40

I may have mentioned this before, but the original Gerbings company, well-known for its quality and warranty, got sold at the end of 2012 to a conglomerate under their heated clothing brand called Gyde. So if you have Gerbing clothing from before 2013, it's not the same stuff today. The warranty got slashed to one-year only and they seldom have certain sizes in stock.

Original Gerbings family started another company called Gordon's Heated Clothing:

If you are looking for the original pre-2013 quality + lifetime warranty.

I had pre-2012 Gerbings, they were great, but everything we owned got stolen on the road. I just bought Warm'n Safe heated gear earlier on this summer, and I'm happy with it so far.

I have an ADVRider discount for 20% off. PM me if you're interested,

Back
Top Bottom