Your winter maint. plans..? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Your winter maint. plans..?

Hack

Now that winter is firmly established in my AO... It's time to look towards all those jobs that need to/should be done.
My '16 FJR is due for some maint. so here's what I plan to do between now and the start of the 2020 riding season..

ILA1Gg4.jpg

-Centre stand removal/maint./lube service.
-Swing arm removal/inspection/lube service.
-Steering head bearing inspection/re packing/torqueing.
-Coolant change
-Brake/clutch fluid flush/change.
-Brake pad insp./ and change if necessary.
-Spark plug check/replacement(?)
-Throttle body sync.
-Tire change
-Drive shaft insp./lube service

What are your plans for the long cold winter ahead...?

Bike and tasks..

I figured I ought to check the valve clearances on the R3 race bike that I rode last year ... engine has never had the valve cover off because I'm quite sure the previous owner never touched it either, wouldn't have had to (low mileage).

And then ... I found three scored cam followers.

Which meant ... engine out and cylinder head off and apart to inspect valve springs, which checked out OK. There's no apparent reason for why those cam followers should be scored. (I tend to suspect that someone didn't get debris fully cleaned out of the cylinder head before assembly when the bike was built.) There was also no evidence of anything wrong from how the bike was running.

Like heck am I putting it back together like that. Waiting for parts. Yamaha dealer said parts were expected 1st January ... I rather doubt that!

Was gonna put it on a tender...imagine my surprise when I remove the seat and there's no battery there...
Apparently on fz6's its underneath the gas tank..

wondering about the bag of hammers sound my Aprilia makes
made the mistake of reading about it
apparently they received a bad batch of intermediate cam gear bushings

so I'm thinking about pulling the cam gear shafts to mic them and the bushing ID
and not hoping to be able to swing a cat through there

BP, a piece of hockey stick about 8 inches long is your friend when working under the gas tank on that bike

Was gonna put it on a tender...imagine my surprise when I remove the seat and there's no battery there...
Apparently on fz6's its underneath the gas tank..

Despite hours of research prior to buying the FJR... I was perplexed when I got her home, took off the seat and found no battery.
'Had to look at the owners manual to find it... (It's up front under the right top portion of the dash/faring...)

So... You're not the only one Lol

Probably install new front end cartridge in the forks . Plus install new mini ape hangers if I find a deal . If not I may just wait for Sturgis .

Despite hours of research prior to buying the FJR... I was perplexed when I got her home, took off the seat and found no battery.
'Had to look at the owners manual to find it... (It's up front under the right top portion of the dash/faring...)

So... You're not the only one Lol
Super handy if you need a boost my Ducati was under the front fairing behind the rad.tow truck home if it won't start.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

I have a TT500 to replace the piston and get running.

Super handy if you need a boost my Ducati was under the front fairing behind the rad.tow truck home if it won't start.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

On the FJR all you really need is an 8mm hex to undo two bolts, pop out two more of those plastic rivet-like panel fasteners to remove the battery cover/panel.
I have a pigtail attached to the battery so... hooking up a tender is easy-peasy

Fork oil change. Probably needs new head bearings as well.
New front and rear rubber.
Valve adjustment.

The bike is going to a shop for all of it...will be aiming to get it there sometime between mid January to mid March - I don't want to be one of the countless riders who show up the first week of May and "Need my bike looked at ASAP!". ;)

The bike is going to a shop for all of it...will be aiming to get it there sometime between mid January to mid March - I don't want to be one of the countless riders who show up the first week of May and "Need my bike looked at ASAP!". ;)

I've managed to acquire all the (specialized)tools needed to do pretty much everything I need/want to do...

Steering head castle nut socket all the way from the UK... I don't like that "hook" type tool I see most guys using...
Pb65iRB.jpg

Carbtune Pro for the Throttle body sync job
Yb0ef2M.png

No-Mar changer for... rubber changes.
LJwFlGD.jpg

BikeMaster static balancer for.... Balancing.
vlD4Uk6.jpg

Jumper harness with switch (top) for the ABS flush... (made by an FJR Guru friend of mine)
OBD cable and Bluetooth code reader(paired with an app) to well, read/reset error codes... The cable was made by my FJR Guru friend. Plugged into Bluetooth code reader paired to my tablet and using an app... I'm able to... read/reset error codes. Thing works like a charm.... Even on my cars.
cz4jgQA.jpg

I've managed to acquire all the (specialized)tools needed to do pretty much everything I need/want to do...

Steering head castle nut socket all the way from the UK... I don't like that "hook" type tool I see most guys using...
Pb65iRB.jpg

Yb0ef2M.png

LJwFlGD.jpg

vlD4Uk6.jpg

Jumper harness with switch (top) for the ABS flush... (made by an FJR Guru friend of mine)
OBD cable and Bluetooth code reader(paired with an app) to well, read/reset error codes... The cable was made by my FJR Guru friend. Plugged into Bluetooth code reader paired to my tablet and using an app... I'm able to... read/reset error codes. Thing works like a charm.... Even on my cars.
cz4jgQA.jpg

lol...
1)how much do those tire changers cost?
2) you must have a lot of room in your garage
3) do you or anyone else have a motorcycle lift/table that they no longer need and would be willing to sell it for a decent price?

Pb65iRB.jpg

Yb0ef2M.png

LJwFlGD.jpg

vlD4Uk6.jpg

cz4jgQA.jpg
Nice. I mostly do the same:

obd cables and an adaptor to read codes through Guzzidiag/IAWdiag.

Cam holding tools to adjust the valves on an aprilia v4, crank holding pin, timing pin.
Did this over the last few weeks in a freezing shed. Oil heater works wonders to take the chill out. Dealerships quote 9 hours for this... $1500 saved doing it myself. It was real tricky though.

Gaskets, plugs, filter, etc.

New rear tire on order. I will spoon them on myself. No fancy no-mar changer. Tire bars, 2x4 blocking, a bead breaker made from 2x4, plywood, and a carriage bolt through my shed wall. (Simple lever).

Bought another project. Wr250x. Lots of previous owner hackjobs to fix. Pretty much have to do everything on your list to that.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

3) do you or anyone else have a motorcycle lift/table that they no longer need and would be willing to sell it for a decent price?

Wingboy was selling a home made framed & plywood raised platform for cheap.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

1)how much do those tire changers cost?

IIRC it ended up costing about $800 Cdn. I went 50/50 on it with a dirty BMW riding buddy of mine.

2) you must have a lot of room in your garage

Yeah... We don't park any cars in the garage so... It's pretty much a dedicated work space.
That said... The same dirty BMY riding buddy of mine just moved into a place 10 minutes from me that has a 20'x40' detached shop.
I foresee many a wrenching session over at his place.. Lol

No way... Keeping mine...
Keep an eye on Harbor Freight for sales.... The table I have goes on sale once in a while.... I think I paid about $300 for it

Back
Top Bottom