Your winter maint. plans..? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Your winter maint. plans..?

'Reminds me of a time way back when a friend of mine would do two big fishing trips a year... One in the spring and one in the fall.
My friend had this little gas powered trolling motor that would run just fine in a garbage can full of water in his driveway in Mississauga, but... 'Wouldn't even start once we were out at some remote northern Ontario lake.
We carted that little motor all over northern Ontario for years and NOT ONCE did we ever get it going when we would have wanted to use it.
IIRC we left it propped up against a tree somewhere around Temagami circa 1989
Lol. That's just where that little motor saw most of its use, Temagami. A friend gave it to me because he dropped it off the end of his dock, and wouldn't run after he fixed it. (He had the reed valve in backwards).I used it on a square stern Sportspal canoe with 2 mini downriggers and an eagle fishfinder. My brother and i caught lots of Lakers and Whitefish on Lake Temagami, Kokoko and Jumping Caribou with that setup. Good times!

I will be bored for the winter.

Mule put to sleep for winter
Dirt bikes to sleep
Snowmobiles ready to go
2 race bikes all ready for 2020 and going to bike show
2 race bikes sitting disassembled waiting for spring engine return

Found a decent dewalt torque wrench in the right range that looks like it will do nicely, covers from 30nm-140nm

According to the service manual, the range on the torque spec is as low as 7 nm to 120 nm (for axle nuts)

any idea where I can go to get one for 30nm and under range for really low torque applications??

Thanks!

Crappy tire. 3/8" drive.
Goes down to 4 nm.
Up to 30

43c7cfb5f3b6c422a1ea21afac115123.jpg

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

'Got started Saturday afternoon... Swing arm, Drive shaft, U-Joint, Shift/brake linkage center stand, side stand inspection/service/lube

QAM717l.jpg

Milk crates... Not just for KLR riders..

Aqv4MbC.jpg

'Got her all put back together and didn't even have any bits left over

iVwRmoe.jpg

Next job will be the coolant change..

More of a project than maintenance.

I got this ducati performance sprocket for my bike, part number showed it fits 999 all years, and it was up two teeth which is perfect because riding around town on this machine isnt exactly easy in traffic. Was just hoping to bring the revs up and improve aesthetics obviously.

Turns out the sprocket only fits the 999r, which came with the magnesium racing wheels.

Ducati Performance didn't make a fancy, sexy aluminum sprocket for a 999 that was base model or "S" like mine, and I did not want to buy after market, because i've tried hard to keep everything on the bike ducati, from the oodles of R carbon bits and carbon fairing bits, to the add ons like DP pegs, upgraded rotors, panigale grips and bar ends, and a rare as F DP gas cap, Ive done a lot to the bike over the years, only a 999 enthusiast would notice. From a glance, the bike looks stock from ducati.

Basically my OCD made me want to some how use this sprocket without buying magnesium wheels, so instead of returning it, I decided to improvise.

IMG_0315.jpeg
new vs old

IMG_0314.jpeg
hole patterns dont line up, dogh

IMG_0397.jpeg
I machined new carrier to accept both patterns (sprocket bolts and kush drive pins) On the OEM carrier, the kush drive pin and stud to hold the sprocket are the same piece, and thus on the same bolt circle. I had to maintain the kush drive bolt circle, and add a new circle for the new sprocket, material is QC-10 aluminum, its hard like steel, used for molds believe it or not. Ultra corrosion resistant too unlike 7075 or 6061

IMG_0497.jpeg
anodized the carrier flat clear, then I machined new kush drive pins from titanium, ordered some titanium threaded rod to make studs for the pins and installed sprocket with titanium bolts i sourced as well. Red locktite to keep them all snug.

IMG_0507.jpeg
installed as test with no bearings yet.

IMG_0502.jpeg
IMG_0500.jpg
IMG_0503.jpg
test fit, no bearings pressed yet.

IMG_0508.jpeg
boom, final product.

Last edited:
Nice job.Every Duc i have owned has needed the gearing change.

Wr250x:

Greased the linkage
Partly disassembled the shock to clean it, and find out why I had no rebound adjustment.

Re-packed the head bearings.

Opened up the forks. Good seals, and the fork oil was clean.
be8d8db138f585b0735773ff97613abc.jpg

Wr250x:

Greased the linkage
Partly disassembled the shock to clean it, and find out why I had no rebound adjustment.

Fork oil is on my short list, thanks for reminding me lol

Spooned on tires. A q3 front I had off one of my old bikes. Got a q3+ for the rear.

Fixed the previous owners DIY rack with some diamond plate I had laying around (he used some scrap aluminum and part of a rain barrel. ) I have to weld the subframe. Ot cracked because of the diy rack being overloaded.
f5446ff333c653c4495242b152803776.jpg
c3f731f609ab46a698cd7650def75739.jpg

Wr250x:

Greased the linkage

I'm guessing the "no rebound" is because it's just a stock cheap shock?

What about shock service? What kind of mileage is on your 999?

EDIT, oh you mean the rear.......yeah, I'll eventually get around to that, I want to do the 05-06 swing arm on it one day, I have the swing arm, just need to powder coat it and make some exhaust adjustments, not this year. When I do I'll give the shock some love.

Last edited:
I'm guessing the "no rebound" is because it's just a stock cheap shock?
Sort of. Rebound adjuster wouldn't click. P.O. turned it until it backed off and free spun.
Not many aftermarket options for this bike. Next year I'll rebuild it. Either racetech internals, or there is a shop in the U.S. (GoRace) that sells valving & shim kits for it.
That, or Sherrard.

Back
Top Bottom