Would you work for the evil empire? (Facebook) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Would you work for the evil empire? (Facebook)

PrivatePilot

Ironus Butticus
Site Supporter
No, I don't work for Facebook, but without going into a ton of details I do have access to a few invite only sections of the galactic empire which give me some insider knowledge.

There's quite a few other people in there as well for the same reasons I am, so it's not exactly a secret society or anything, but it's also not something that everyone and their brother is in, either.

That's about all I want to get into. I can't talk about what we see and discuss anyways, it's under NDA. And no, Zuckerburg isn't in there chatting with us or anything by any stretch, but it is run and managed by FB staff and we do see new features and such before others.

Today, they posted a job listing inside that group, open to only members of that group. Partly to become part of that staff, and partly for some additional things quasi related to it.

I don't fit *all* the requirements, but the wording of the listing was suggestive of the fact that wouldn't be a show stopper as I do have quite an extensive resume on all the other requirements that probably dwarfs many of the other potential applicants in there.

I can't honestly say I'm not intrigued by the situation. And I might apply. I'd say the chances of actually getting through in the face of quite a few others who, on the flipside, may have less overall experience but do have *all* the requirements, is probably slim, but hey...YOLO, right?

Given the opportunity, would YOU want to work for Facebook?

My personal views on FB is that it has it's good and bad sides. Like anything out there, it's a tool. Some people use tools for good, some for bad. Do they have their share of problems? Sure. Do I agree with their stance on hoovering up data endlessly? No. Could I potentially see through much of that for a job that's entirely unrelated to much of their front facing issues right now.

Last edited:
Since this is a motorcycle forum, yes, if it's at SF location.

Great riding roads. Definitely recommend.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

No.

Many software developers, including this guy above who is far harder working (and probably smarter) than I am, noticed two type of companies: driven by ego, and driven by data.

The ego types are often led by business or artsy types with very little software background. Good ideas get punted out with or without objective discussion because somebody's penis is too small and they're trying to compensate. While I didn't know Facebook was this type of company, I've heard it more than once from friends who've worked there, and then there's Patrick Shyu who gave Facebook the biggest middle finger possible.

The other type, driven by data, are often software shops or companies like Google. These are "no ********" type companies. You'll know immediately from the interview because you're not talking to a person: you're asked, by a computer, to solve some problem. Your solution will be thrown in 10+ test cases, including edge cases, and if you fail even one, you are out. If you pass, you'll be brought in for a system's design question and you'll be competing with whoever else they are interviewing (unknowingly) so the candidates eliminate one another. These companies operate like a F1 grid, if you're too slow, get the **** out.

Valve, the guys who made Half Life, Steam, and DoTA2, are a great example of this. They throw a bunch of really damn smart people together, create lots of proof of concepts, and only like....1% of them ever hit production. Reasons for this range from "there's no way in hell we can make money off this because the tech requirements are too high" to "yeah no, we're not gonna beat Half Life 2's hype train."

I want a data driven company, not the "who's dick do I suck" companies lol

Last edited:
Since this is a motorcycle forum, yes, if it's at SF location

99.9% Work From Home as I understand it. The appeal of just hanging out by my pool with my laptop in my lap for my "Work day" is certainly appealing.

"Part time" as detailed in the ad, so I'm presuming 30 or less hours a week.

~$45USD K/year was what was mentioned by someone else based on knowledge of others in the job. Before their comment was deleted. ;)

99.9% Work From Home as I understand it. The appeal of just hanging out by my pool with my laptop in my lap for my "Work day" is certainly appealing.

"Part time" as detailed in the ad, so I'm presuming 30 or less hours a week.

~$45USD K/year was what was mentioned by someone else based on knowledge of others in the job. Before their comment was deleted. ;)

I'm guessing this is not a software job because I know Facebook pays $100k~ for a fresh grad lol

Can’t hurt to apply. Go and get a better idea of the job and deal with it as it comes.

if you don’t try you may always have the ‘what if....’ eating at you.

I'm guessing this is not a software job because I know Facebook pays $100k~ for a fresh grad lol

No, not a software job, outside of my education.

Not sure what I was thinking earlier (too many post work rum and cokes methinks) however when I actually sat down and did the math (which is getting harder and harder as I drink more rum and Coke’s ?) it actually constitutes a fairly significant drop in pay. I think I’d added the 30% exchange in my brain to the actual wage and then converted the new total again, so I was coming up with $78K. Actual wage after properly calculated exchange is about $57K.

Not sure my wife would be onboard with that...despite the reality we could still comfortably live on our combined income regardless.

Guess that makes sense being part time.

<grumble>

Doesn't matter if you are shooting down the rainforest or planting schools in Africa, a job is a job. If the Zucc is willing to fork out a few buccs, its worth a shot

You need to be top top tier

Some of my high school friends went to University of Waterloo and did very well for themselves. Early 30s and they are making $500,000 USD/year working with tech giants like Facebook, Alphabet Inc and Amazon. Genius people

I say go for it!!

You've previously posted you could cover all the monthlies on Wifey's salary, your always bent about driving truck and the covid risk, pressures of driving , your physical health seems a mess and you could pull $57k and never leave the backyard? Work in your pajama pants
Buddy, get on with it!

You've previously posted you could cover all the monthlies on Wifey's salary, your always bent about driving truck and the covid risk, pressures of driving , your physical health seems a mess and you could pull $57k and never leave the backyard? Work in your pajama pants
Buddy, get on with it!

We could, for sure, question is if we want to. My wife does indeed make great money. A chunk of my pay is discretionary/play/investment money as a result. The rest pays for the costs of one kid in college living away from home right now (and another who won’t leave home, but that’s another story), but the former is an expensive that will go away in another 2 years. The latter, well.... ?

But taking a huge bite out of that income category, well, would change the equations for sure. Food for thought. The old phrase “The more you make the more you spend” really is a thing.

I wouldn’t be upset to kiss the physical aspect of the job goodbye that’s for sure. But the issue then with a fully sedentary job is that I may bloat up to 700 pounds and ya’ll will be watching me on TLC getting hoisted out of my bedroom by a Sikorsky in 5 years lol.

You could also dump one vehicle and save a few thou a year sounds like a good deal and not having to drive a truck would be worth it.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

as i recall you`re a bit of a hobbyist, maybe something you enjoy tinkering with could be some side hussle from home. win/win.

No, not a software job, outside of my education.

Not sure what I was thinking earlier (too many post work rum and cokes methinks) however when I actually sat down and did the math (which is getting harder and harder as I drink more rum and Coke’s ?) it actually constitutes a fairly significant drop in pay. I think I’d added the 30% exchange in my brain to the actual wage and then converted the new total again, so I was coming up with $78K. Actual wage after properly calculated exchange is about $57K.

Not sure my wife would be onboard with that...despite the reality we could still comfortably live on our combined income regardless.

Guess that makes sense being part time.

<grumble>

I don't know how harsh Facebook is on non-devs. Do some digging.....maybe it's really chill (aka. you get 5 hours of actual work each week lol.) Hell, I'll be aiming for that in 10-15 years lmao

Wife brother works for Google and his wife for apple so far they are happy. The live in the bay area now after being hounded by Google for years to come work there.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Cousin works for MS out in Washington for a long time now. I think he just recently moved back to the GTA. He loves it. Said the interview process took a year or so, but best job in his life.

No, I don't work for Facebook, but without going into a ton of details I do have access to a few invite only sections of the galactic empire which give me some insider knowledge.

There's quite a few other people in there as well for the same reasons I am, so it's not exactly a secret society or anything, but it's also not something that everyone and their brother is in, either.

That's about all I want to get into. I can't talk about what we see and discuss anyways, it's under NDA. And no, Zuckerburg isn't in there chatting with us or anything by any stretch, but it is run and managed by FB staff and we do see new features and such before others.

Today, they posted a job listing inside that group, open to only members of that group. Partly to become part of that staff, and partly for some additional things quasi related to it.

I don't fit *all* the requirements, but the wording of the listing was suggestive of the fact that wouldn't be a show stopper as I do have quite an extensive resume on all the other requirements that probably dwarfs many of the other potential applicants in there.

I can't honestly say I'm not intrigued by the situation. And I might apply. I'd say the chances of actually getting through in the face of quite a few others who, on the flipside, may have less overall experience but do have *all* the requirements, is probably slim, but hey...YOLO, right?

Given the opportunity, would YOU want to work for Facebook?

My personal views on FB is that it has it's good and bad sides. Like anything out there, it's a tool. Some people use tools for good, some for bad. Do they have their share of problems? Sure. Do I agree with their stance on hoovering up data endlessly? No. Could I potentially see through much of that for a job that's entirely unrelated to much of their front facing issues right now.
I worked in tech for a long time, I did it for the money. My side hustle in the late 90s was Cobol and RPG code reviews which was like swallowing your own vomit all day. I did it because IBM was paying pay $100/hour. If they are paying anything like that today, I t might be worth a swallow.

I worked in tech for a long time, I did it for the money. My side hustle in the late 90s was Cobol and RPG code reviews which was like swallowing your own vomit all day. I did it because IBM was paying pay $100/hour. If they are paying anything like that today, I t might be worth a swallow.
The things we do for money....I’m tempted to call the FIFO job again as I miss the money lol

Back
Top Bottom