Winter Round-trip to the Maritimes: Planning Assistance Required | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Winter Round-trip to the Maritimes: Planning Assistance Required

Mine was roundtrip from Milton. I started after work, it was an impromptu decision. Drove all night and stopped at Moncton. Spent a day there and next 2 days in Halifax.

As others have suggested , I won't recommend driving late at night. There are big ass blinking warning lights after Quebec warning about night danger. And your will encounter lots of logging trucks. Also, the scenery is much nicer after NB border. Speed limit changes to 90 in NB and then to 110 if I recall correctly.

I stayed on Canadian side , the usual Google map route Toronto > Quebec > Fredericton > Moncton > Halifax. And same way back.

Booked hotels in advance but I reckon u shudnt have issue with vacancy this time of the year.

Make sure ur winters tires are good condition and have lots of tread left, I encountered lots of snow in NB and Quebec while going and had a bit of white knuckle drive at some stretches.

Didn't do Cabot trail as I am saving it for bike and with family if I go by car again :)

Good luck, it's a fun trip.
Thank you for the details! I am in the same frame of mind that most like you were at the time!

Btw, I'll visit the Magnetic Hill. There's a similar one near Leh that I just love crossing over and over again. Looks like you are going uphill whereas in reality are going downhill🙂

I’ll agree with everyone about bike being a bad choice in this plan.

My other recommendation is not to drive on Friday through the night due to the dangers along the route with wildlife.

I would get the proper rest, pack, and leave 4 or 5am Saturday morning. Traffic will be light, you’ll hit Montreal before lunch, QC right after lunch, and clear sailing the rest of the route.

Did this with wife and cousins a few years ago. Left Toronto at 5am and was in St John for dinner that day to explore.

This makes much more sense than my all nighter plan. I am big fan of leaving as early as possible in the morning be it on a bike or car. Thank you!👍

Just do it on the bike. You'll be fine.
153439036-M.jpg

If you decide to ride - a little planning will go a long way:)

Just do it on the bike. You'll be fine.
153439036-M.jpg

If you decide to ride - a little planning will go a long way:)

That image right there took me back down memory lane to one of my own trips back in 2008..

1.jpg

We should chat. I'll text you soon.

Keep this in mind tho depends on when you leave

Noted. Thank you!

Many years ago the Cabot trail was closed in winter. They had rescue huts with food water and fuel in them spaced out along parts of it.

@kurtrules I guess there's always the option of towing a bike if you want to get your fix? But personally I don't think it's worth to take a bike...unless it'll be a snowbike.

The original plan was: Home - Moncton and then Day 2, Day 3 & 4, Day 5 & 6 in Halifax, Day 7, Day 8 and then the last two days returning back home.

Perhaps a new plan now. I drove to Tadoussac 2 years ago, and have always wanted to explore the end of the 138 till Kegashka, or wherever it ends. Maybe I'll plan that out.

If not, I may cut the trip short, and be back in 7 days.

If I can come back with 5 images worthy of hanging on the walls of my family/living room - this trip's a success!

The original plan was: Home - Moncton and then Day 2, Day 3 & 4, Day 5 & 6 in Halifax, Day 7, Day 8 and then the last two days returning back home.

Perhaps a new plan now. I drove to Tadoussac 2 years ago, and have always wanted to explore the end of the 138 till Kegashka, or wherever it ends. Maybe I'll plan that out.

If not, I may cut the trip short, and be back in 7 days.

If I can come back with 5 images worthy of hanging on the walls of my family/living room - this trip's a success!
Well if you go to Kegashka, maybe this file will help you. Either way - anything you do out that way will be a great trip.

Attachments

• North Shore Route.png
    North Shore Route.png
    424.7 KB · Views: 10
Well, I started at midnight, and am currently stuck in Edmunston. The weather forecast was sunny for today, and now - It's snowing. Things looking gloomy at the moment and its just getting fierce and is expected to snow in tomorrow as well.

I guess I ll take a decision tomorrow on whether to continue to Nova Scotia or not

IMG-20211203-WA0000.jpg

Back
Top Bottom