Winter Round-trip to the Maritimes: Planning Assistance Required | GTAMotorcycle.com

Winter Round-trip to the Maritimes: Planning Assistance Required

kurtrules

My wife and kids are flying back home, and I have the whole month of December to me, alone, before I join them in January. So naturally, the thought that came to mind is - I would not waste this opportunity lazing around the house doing nothing but office work.

I am thinking of heading out to the Maritimes. It's just a thought for now, that I am yet to materialize on. What's sure is I will head out somewhere for 10-12 days during the first half of December. I am starting this thread to plan for the same.

Itinerary

I plan to leave on the Friday, 3rd December and be back by Monday, 13th. So technically, that gives me 11 days all inclusive. Out of those 11 days, I plan to work remotely in a hotel room somewhere for 3 days. The evenings/late afternoon will be spent in the exploration of the town/city.

For now, here's what I have mind:

Night 1/Day 2 (Friday - Saturday): Head out after work from Burlington. Travel through the night and reach St John by noon. Can stop for a quick nap at a rest stop
Day 2/3 (Half a Saturday & Sunday): St John/Bay of Fundy & other areas
Day 4-6 (Monday - Wednesday): Halifax. Work in the mornings & free after 3pm to explore the city and surrounding places (Peggy Cove etc)
Day 7-8-9 (Thursday/Friday/Saturday): Cape Brenton Island and around
Day 10-11 (Sunday/Monday): Back to Burlington

This could be extended as well, if need be.

Mode of Transport

My first preference would be on a motorcycle. However, its December. The Canadian Winter can be unforgiving. I checked out the weather forecast for Moncton and Halifax, and there's no prediction of snow,( snow being my biggest concern) Other than that, I have invested in warm & safe heated clothing (glove/socks and jacket) so I hope that it should suffice in keeping me warm. Thoughts?

Having said that, I would not hesitate in dropping the motorbike idea and taking out my car. The motive is to travel, explore & photograph new destinations (to me) and if driving is more safer and thus, makes more sense, I will drive no issues. Moreover, in the car I can carry the full extent of my photography equipment whereas on the bike I would have to skip on the heavier stuff (like the 70-200 2.8 etc)

Looking for help in constructing an itinerary, suggestions, tips, warnings - anything and everything that is useful and can assist me in making my success!

Thanks in advance

Doing this trip on a bike in December is not a good choice. Maritime weather is notoriously variable, and a weather forecast for a month from now is completely worthless. Even if it doesn't snow, you'll be setting yourself up for an experience somewhere between 'extremely unpleasant' and 'dangerous' if it rains in typical December temperatures. Especially if you're considering riding through the night to get there.

I've done the trip many times in a car, and twice on a bike. The all-Canadian route through Quebec is okay if you've never done it before, but it's pretty boring. Driving straight through is possible (in a car), but doing it in two days is preferable.

Going through the states is way more interesting than the Quebec route. Not sure what the border procedures are like now though.

Doing this trip on a bike in December is not a good choice. Maritime weather is notoriously variable, and a weather forecast for a month from now is completely worthless. Even if it doesn't snow, you'll be setting yourself up for an experience somewhere between 'extremely unpleasant' and 'dangerous' if it rains in typical December temperatures. Especially if you're considering riding through the night to get there.

I've done the trip many times in a car, and twice on a bike. The all-Canadian route through Quebec is okay if you've never done it before, but it's pretty boring. Driving straight through is possible (in a car), but doing it in two days is preferable.

Going through the states is way more interesting than the Quebec route. Not sure what the border procedures are like now though.

^this.

id also add, after hours its not super well light, your not in the GTA with its big bright highway lights everywhere, you leave town after dark and it is completely black in the wilderness.

Yep save yourself from yourself, Dude that is a terrible idea, although it might sound fun and exciting. Trust me it won’t be.

Also you’re looking at another hr or so to get off the hwy and go to st-john. Plus it’s probably already snowing in the north Edmundston

Ok, so that's 5-0 against the motorcycle. I get the hint.

I am in the process of defining a more detailed itinerary. Searching this, and other forums for a day wise plan.
Are you from the east coast? You mentioned your wife and kids going home

I did similar trip around same time couple of years back. I also drove alone, I guess we Indians have a liking to explore by ourselves when our wives and kids fly back home and leave us alone :)

Anyhow, I stayed at Moncton for a day and Halifax for day 2 and 3 and headed back on day 4. I had winter tires on and I will recommend not heading out that side without winter tires. My 2 cents, nothing much was open in Halifax, most nice places along the harbour were closed for the season. I still managed to try out lobsters at a local joint. Peggy 's cove was very nice , also there is Citadel and a cemetery in where there are some 100 graves from titanic. Halifax is nice to walk around but very quiet and cold this time of the year.
Also , check out magic hill in Moncton and there is world's longest covered bridge near King's landing ( close to Moncton i think). And Hopewell rocks if time permits.

I did similar trip around same time couple of years back. I also drove alone, I guess we Indians have a liking to explore by ourselves when our wives and kids fly back home and leave us alone :)

Anyhow, I stayed at Moncton for a day and Halifax for day 2 and 3 and headed back on day 4. I had winter tires on and I will recommend not heading out that side without winter tires. My 2 cents, nothing much was open in Halifax, most nice places along the harbour were closed for the season. I still managed to try out lobsters at a local joint. Peggy 's cove was very nice , also there is Citadel and a cemetery in where there are some 100 graves from titanic. Halifax is nice to walk around but very quiet and cold this time of the year.
Also , check out magic hill in Moncton and there is world's longest covered bridge near King's landing ( close to Moncton i think). And Hopewell rocks if time permits.

Thank you @Norcorider ! Useful recommendations, especially since you did it winter.

A few questions

1) Did you do the do the round trip from Halifax in 4-5 days from Toronto, or are you based out of elsewhere?
2) Did you book accommodation in advance or you just walked up at the time?
3) What route did you take to and fro?
4) Did you also do the Cabot trail? Is it worth doing at this time of the year?

I swap tyres to winter ones each winter, so that's not going to be an issue.

Thank you for the recommendation. I'll keep the drive on the Canadian side this time, owing to the fact that to renter Canada, a covid test will be required.

^this.

id also add, after hours its not super well light, your not in the GTA with its big bright highway lights everywhere, you leave town after dark and it is completely black in the wilderness.
And this time of year is particularly dangerous on the road for motorcycles. You see a lot of roadkill this time of year, many animals are attracted to the warm and salty asphalt at night.

Fall weather in the maritimes is very unpredictable with frequent rain and snow.

You can fly to Halifax for $240 return from the Hammer airport on Swoop, probably cheaper than gas. Turo a small car for $250/week (or roll in a Cayman for $750 more) and you take away a lot of vehicle risk.

And this time of year is particularly dangerous on the road for motorcycles. You see a lot of roadkill this time of year, many animals are attracted to the warm and salty asphalt at night.

Fall weather in the maritimes is very unpredictable with frequent rain and snow.

You can fly to Halifax for $240 return from the Hammer airport on Swoop, probably cheaper than gas. Turo a small car for $250/week (or roll in a Cayman for $750 more) and you take away a lot of vehicle risk.
Noted. Thanks. I'll be driving. Going by the suggestions here - There's always a next summer for a motorcycle trip.

However, I will be driving my own car. Part of the experience is the drive there. Allows me to be more flexible on adding/removing routes & destinations.

All I have to say is Magnetic Hill in Monton. It's the stupidest best fun you can have for $5.
Noted. Thanks

All I have to say is Magnetic Hill in Monton. It's the stupidest best fun you can have for $5.
Second that, I incorrectly called it as magic hill in my previous post, but come think of it , it is kinda magical. I went late in the evening, nobody at the gate and it was open . So no fees to pay and no other visitors, I had the whole place to myself , spent close to an hour trying to figure out the trickery Lolz

Thank you @Norcorider ! Useful recommendations, especially since you did it winter.

A few questions

1) Did you do the do the round trip from Halifax in 4-5 days from Toronto, or are you based out of elsewhere?
2) Did you book accommodation in advance or you just walked up at the time?
3) What route did you take to and fro?
4) Did you also do the Cabot trail? Is it worth doing at this time of the year?

I swap tyres to winter ones each winter, so that's not going to be an issue.
Mine was roundtrip from Milton. I started after work, it was an impromptu decision. Drove all night and stopped at Moncton. Spent a day there and next 2 days in Halifax.

As others have suggested , I won't recommend driving late at night. There are big ass blinking warning lights after Quebec warning about night danger. And your will encounter lots of logging trucks. Also, the scenery is much nicer after NB border. Speed limit changes to 90 in NB and then to 110 if I recall correctly.

I stayed on Canadian side , the usual Google map route Toronto > Quebec > Fredericton > Moncton > Halifax. And same way back.

Booked hotels in advance but I reckon u shudnt have issue with vacancy this time of the year.

Make sure ur winters tires are good condition and have lots of tread left, I encountered lots of snow in NB and Quebec while going and had a bit of white knuckle drive at some stretches.

Didn't do Cabot trail as I am saving it for bike and with family if I go by car again :)

Good luck, it's a fun trip.

I’ll agree with everyone about bike being a bad choice in this plan.

My other recommendation is not to drive on Friday through the night due to the dangers along the route with wildlife.

I would get the proper rest, pack, and leave 4 or 5am Saturday morning. Traffic will be light, you’ll hit Montreal before lunch, QC right after lunch, and clear sailing the rest of the route.

Did this with wife and cousins a few years ago. Left Toronto at 5am and was in St John for dinner that day to explore.

Second that, I incorrectly called it as magic hill in my previous post, but come think of it , it is kinda magical. I went late in the evening, nobody at the gate and it was open . So no fees to pay and no other visitors, I had the whole place to myself , spent close to an hour trying to figure out the trickery Lolz
It’s all about the sight lines… looks like you’re going up…but you’re going down.

Still trying to convince my wife about that but she’s convinced it’s magic…

Back
Top Bottom