Will the next "hit the fan" moment involve boomers? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Will the next "hit the fan" moment involve boomers?

... upper management knows I do not want a management role, so they can't fire him without a replacement ...

I really miss the days of school and even my internships where it really was about "how do we get this **** to work" as opposed to "how do I work the system so I can retire earlier." ...
Don't bet on that! They can have you report to the next manager up the totem pole until they find his replacement, and you could become an IT department of one, just like it happened to me.

I was Always trying to do the best job possible and often took flack from middle management (straw bosses) for it and sometimes even co-workers for doing Too good of a job :/ Those were some of the next people that I got to lock out of all the systems :LOL:

Guy that wrote the book, how the boomers screwed the millenials?? Got a surprise for you, he wrote it for the money, he got paid, at no point did he think I'll document the tribulations of my generation. He thought my tribe will buy this , I'll write best seller. He duped your generation to.......
I did not take it too seriously. I get my truthful information from memes. No money no bias.

@油井緋色

Ok, we've had our differences in the past. This is not meant to be an attack personally or anything, OK?

Here's what I think may be the cause of the "irrational hatred" you may be experiencing....

Boomers had an entirely different mentality than Millenials, widely nicknamed Snowflakes.
Boomers had a different work ethic, did their factory jobs, worked 9-5 or whatever else was required by their employer. A single income was enough to live somewhat comfortably - house, car, wife, 2 kids etc. Work till retirement, then see the world or do whatever they wanted.

Millenials lack the same work ethic (in my opinion - but you seem to be one of the exceptions) - have some millennial acquaintances who are absolutely abusing the work from home thing as they don't feel the same pressure like they would in an office situation. Millenials are now more interested in seeing the world now, screw the house thing, as even with 2 incomes it's difficult to purchase one, especially in the GTA.
Millenials seem to have a great sense of self entitlement - likely caused by their late boomer or early Gen-X parents. The whole "everyone gets a ribbon" and "you're special" thing has skewed perspective. Fresh out of university students expect $75-85K a year to start on a regular basis. This perspective again, is caused by their parents (IMHO).

When it comes to socializing... Get a bunch of Millenials at a table, and they don't talk much. It's all cell phones with other people. What's the point? Boomers actually talk when together.

Difference between boomers/snowflakes is also commitment - they would say, let's meet on Friday at Location of Choice at 7pm. They wouldn't need to talk again for 4 days before the meet, and yet both parties would show up. Millenials, if you don't confirm every single day, and twice the day of, they're not gonna show. I believe the sense of common respect has gone out the window.

Now comes the sticky point... You regularly mention that you're buff/ripped/huge/strong. Why? It's almost like a Peacock effect. The birds aren't particularly huge, but when they fan out those feathers, they're huge looking - attract mates and scare off predators. To me, it's almost like it's a whole lot of bluster to cover deep rooted insecurities (I recall you mentioning an abusive childhood at the hands of a boomer). Apparently you're good at your job and are intelligent and have a great physique. Awesome, doesn't happen much anymore. But why constantly refer to the level of buff you've achieved? Most boomers would kind of snort at the bluster - is this what may be leading to the hatred? Or, do you feel superior to the boomers up the ladder due to it?

For comparison sake, an acquaintance of mine I used to train with is a former World Champion Kickboxer. Super nice guy. You'll never hear him talking about how awesome he was or how many people he knocked out etc. Only time he talks about it is when someone asks him.
Or, have another good friend who is a former CSBK racer from years ago. Guy is super fast, despite being in his early 60s now. He will never mention that he raced, not even when he's teaching motorcycle safety classes during the introduction phase.

Basically, I believe it boils down to 2 viewpoints:
1) Boomers - work hard, then enjoy life. Believe Millenials - want it all right now, questionable work ethic
2) Millenials - I want to enjoy life now and forever. Boomers are relics with a narrow focus on how life should be and how to accomplish it.

Thoughts?

*Edit - added Kickboxing and Racer comparison.

Last edited:
Guy that wrote the book, how the boomers screwed the millenials?? Got a surprise for you, he wrote it for the money, he got paid, at no point did he think I'll document the tribulations of my generation. He thought my tribe will buy this , I'll write best seller. He duped your generation to.......
As i said the book is to be taken with a grain of salt. Factual? Meh I’m sure there’s some connections that can be made. Entertaining. Sure is for me.

Ok, we've had our differences in the past. This is not meant to be an attack personally or anything, OK?

No hard feelings dude. I get where you were coming from. I did **** everyone's track day.

The whole "everyone gets a ribbon" and "you're special" thing has skewed perspective. Fresh out of university students expect $75-85K a year to start on a regular basis. This perspective again, is caused by their parents (IMHO).

A lot of us were fed the idea of going to school, graduating, and instant success. The people I hang out with are mostly STEM so they do actually start at $65k+. The "your special" thing definitely ****** a lot of us; took a few years for me to accept the fact that I'm not important but neither is anyone else. The ribbon thing wouldn't apply to myself or many I know; a lot of my peers were actually star performers (high honor graduates, scholarships every year, doctors, etc.) This didn't make the situation better because nobody gives a **** outside of the academic world that you're a high performer; if anything it makes them insecure.

When it comes to socializing... Get a bunch of Millenials at a table, and they don't talk much. It's all cell phones with other people. What's the point? Boomers actually talk when together.

That's not entirely true lol I've definitely see this tho and it's sad (especially when my fiancee and I go out for a date and see another couple glued to their phones.)

Now comes the sticky point... You regularly mention that you're buff/ripped/huge/strong. Why? It's almost like a Peacock effect. The birds aren't particularly huge, but when they fan out those feathers, they're huge looking - attract mates and scare off predators. To me, it's almost like it's a whole lot of bluster to cover deep rooted insecurities (I recall you mentioning an abusive childhood at the hands of a boomer). Apparently you're good at your job and are intelligent and have a great physique. Awesome, doesn't happen much anymore. But why constantly refer to the level of buff you've achieved? Most boomers would kind of snort at the bluster - is this what may be leading to the hatred? Or, do you feel superior to the boomers up the ladder due to it?

The bolded stuff is exactly why. I spent most of my early days being bullied due to being Asian, fob (uncultured), called 4 eyes, chink, beaten up, etc. etc. and was very skinny. Later on became fat. But I learned in grade 2 that the most effective way to deal with a bully was to punch them in the face, repeatedly, and break their spirit through finding their insecurities and poking at them. Even if I lost the fight physically, I knew they'd never **** with me again after.

When I found the statistics for overweight and obesity, it hit me every one of those people have the same insecurities I used to have. We can't punch people now, but the same bullies exist at work. These are the guys who throw their "I have x years of experience" as a response to a conflicting idea. which doesn't matter in software development; **** changes rapidly, keep learning or know less than fresh graduates. I've also had a few senior folk blow up at myself and others because they needed a punching bag for whatever reason as well; this isn't okay.

So the poking at insecurities still works very well (can easily tell from facial expressions, responses, deflections, etc.) There's also a strange charismatic side effect I've noticed: the other devs end up looking to me for leadership. This has happened at 3 different companies, and during university so I know I'm picking my targets right.

Mentioning it here....? Well, I'm powertripping; thanks for calling that out as I do need to tone that the **** down.

For comparison sake, an acquaintance of mine I used to train with is a former World Champion Kickboxer. Super nice guy. You'll never hear him talking about how awesome he was or how many people he knocked out etc. Only time he talks about it is when someone asks him.
Or, have another good friend who is a former CSBK racer from years ago. Guy is super fast, despite being in his early 60s now. He will never mention that he raced, not even when he's teaching motorcycle safety classes during the introduction phase.

I've become a lot more arrogant over the last 3 years. When I first went to work, it was for FAANG (S&P500 tech companies.) The work I did stood out because I try to do a decent job. I later moved into more traditional businesses where it was obvious nobody, not even the CTOs, knew enough about software dev. Because software dev is black magic to the oblivious, it doesn't matter how well of a job I or other devs do; only the devs will know. So I learned I had to peacock a **** ton to get recognition for myself or other devs. This is definitely bleeding out of me as a bad habit now.

To be honest, writing this has made me realize I'm quite ashamed of what I've become, and I largely want to blame that on boomers because I was under the impression that boomers know better than me (that was naive thinking, "nobody will save you" is a lesson every competent software developer learns lol); the holier than thou attitude contributed directly to this.

Thanks for the serious reply; I've got some real reflecting I need to do.

Last edited:
Mentioning it here....? Well, I'm powertripping; thanks for calling that out as I do need to tone that the **** down.

I've become a lot more arrogant over the last 3 years. When I first went to work, it was for FAANG (S&P500 tech companies.) The work I did stood out because I try to do a decent job. I later moved into more traditional businesses where it was obvious nobody, not even the CTOs, knew enough about software dev. Because software dev is black magic to the oblivious, it doesn't matter how well of a job I or other devs do; only the devs will know. So I learned I had to peacock a **** ton to get recognition for myself or other devs. This is definitely bleeding out of me as a bad habit now.

To be honest, writing this has made me realize I'm quite ashamed of what I've become, and I largely want to blame that on boomers because I was under the impression that boomers know better than me (that was naive thinking, "nobody will save you" is a lesson every competent software developer learns lol); the holier than thou attitude contributed directly to this.

Thanks for the serious reply; I've got some real reflecting I need to do.

Hey... think of it this way... it's the quiet ones that are full of confidence that are the ones you need to watch. You know your abilities, and nobody's going to belittle you because of them. Once the people around you can hear your balls clang without you having to say anything, bully, belittle or peacock, you've got it made (wish I've made it to that point, but sadly, not as of yet.. .I've met people like that, and they are inspiring).

Sounds like you've swung a little too far from the bullied to bully side. The power tripping thing might be a reason why you're disliking boomers - as you still recognize them as your elders and need to show respect (part of the Asian heritage I'm sure), but at the same time you're feeling the crazy need to rebel and show them they have no power over you.

One last thing about peacocking - I'm sure you've seen the endless videos of guys who think they're tough, make a big show of it, challenging someone they are bullying and then get promptly k.o.'d? Don't be that guy.

Now, you've seen the fact you're peacocking and possibly causing discomfort, you know what to do to make it right.
Don't feel ashamed for what you're now realizing. Address it, and become a better man for it.

These are all just my thoughts - no psychology major or anything like that here.
Treat others like you want to be treated. Best medicine ever.

I was raised to respect my parents & grandparents and their generations who did so much to make life better and easier for my generation. I always thought that was a huge pillar in Asian culture too - respect and caring for one's elders. Maybe I'm wrong on that? My point is, all generations are different because the world around them is constantly evolving. It's to be expected that attitudes and thinking changes over time as things evolve. It's been like that for all time. Blaming an entire generation for the short comings or frustrations within your own life isn't going to produce any good results for you. Will only make you even more bitter with the passage of time. Take charge of your own life rather than being resentful that the Boomers didn't solve all the world's issues. We've done our part and are now at the point in life when we get to relax a little and enjoy the activities/hobbies we were attracted to when we were still working hard and trying to build a better future for the generation coming behind us - yeah, our own kids. In your family, that included you. I'm sure your parents (who are probably boomers now) tried to do all they could to lift you up higher than the level they were able to achieve. Be thankful for that - not resentful. The duty of any parent is to teach and prepare their children as best they can for a world that the parent can't even imagine because of the ever increasing speed of technological evolution. We do the best we can, as our parents did. The rest is up to you.

We're pretty good in here , but have you considered talking to a professional?
thats not a jab, I'm worried about you

Yeah, three different shrinks. Nothing wrong with me apparently? Though I kept insisting something was lol

He needs to lay off the roids. Benching 400 600 800, won't solve his issues.

I don't do 'roids. Working out is the repeated process of being humbled by an inanimate object in hopes of becoming stronger, akin to going to a track day and getting wrecked by someone 10-20 years younger than you with 2 years of experience then being inspired to become faster. I do it for that reason; continuous improvement similar to the software development mindset of "hack, refactor, repeat."

But it's also for this reason I find myself asking repeatedly "how the **** did the 'holier than thou' crowd not figure this out?" Why do so many hide behind their inflated egos and think they're better than others?

And @Green Meenie, I respect my elders. It's only when they've repeatedly shown their ego trumping rationality or meritocracy that I stop respecting them. This wasn't a problem at FAANG companies or in school, meritocracy was king in both domains, not one's ego (or heaven forbid seniority, you can have 20 years of experience and be useless similar to how you can have an IQ of 140 and be completely worthless.)

These are all just my thoughts - no psychology major or anything like that here.
Treat others like you want to be treated. Best medicine ever.

I suppose this would also involve turning the other cheek; something I really suck at doing.

Last edited:
Imagine you were born in 1900.
When you're 14, World War I begins and ends when you're 18 with 22 million dead.
Soon after a global pandemic, the Spanish Flu, appears, killing 50 million people. And you're alive and 20 years old.
When you're 29 you survive the global economic crisis that started with the collapse of the New York Stock Exchange, causing inflation, unemployment and famine.
When you're 33 years old the nazis come to power.
When you're 39, World War II begins and ends when you're 45 years old with a 60 million dead. In the Holocaust 6 million Jews die.
When you're 52, the Korean War begins.
When you're 64, the Vietnam War begins and ends when you're 75.
A child born in 1985 thinks his grandparents have no idea how difficult life is, but they have survived several wars and catastrophes.
Today we have all the comforts in a new world, amid a new pandemic. But we complain because we need to wear masks. We complain because we must stay confined to our homes where we have food, electricity, running water, wifi, even Netflix! None of that existed back in the day. But humanity survived those circumstances and never lost their joy of living.
A small change in our perspective can generate miracles. We should be thankful that we are alive. We should do everything we need to do to protect and help each other.

End of sermon...

But it's also for this reason I find myself asking repeatedly "how the **** did the 'holier than thou' crowd not figure this out?" Why do so many hide behind their inflated egos and think they're better than others?
suppose this would also involve turning the other cheek; something I really suck at doing.

you've spent 5 pages telling us your so much smarter than the management and popped up in several threads, being ripped and benching 400lbs and using that buff to intimidate and posture.

Pot, meet kettle....... LOL

The one i like is: Suck it up Buttercup! It doesn't get any better then this.

I'll put something together later, still thinking on it. My short take on the video was that it was selling a book. So all the buttons were being pushed.

I prefer the term Ivankas to Karens - seems more appropriate.
In Canada it's Sophies.

• Haha
Reactions: TK4
Boomers: we thought we were going to change the world.

and we did!

you've spent 5 pages telling us your so much smarter than the management and popped up in several threads, being ripped and benching 400lbs and using that buff to intimidate and posture.

Pot, meet kettle....... LOL

Yeah, it's a wake up call. There's a saying that "you are an average of the 5 people you spend the most time with."

I'm not spending time with people I want to become.

Yeah, three different shrinks. Nothing wrong with me apparently? Though I kept insisting something was lol

I don't do 'roids. Working out is the repeated process of being humbled by an inanimate object in hopes of becoming stronger, akin to going to a track day and getting wrecked by someone 10-20 years younger than you with 2 years of experience then being inspired to become faster. I do it for that reason; continuous improvement similar to the software development mindset of "hack, refactor, repeat."

And @Green Meenie, I respect my elders. It's only when they've repeatedly shown their ego trumping rationality or meritocracy that I stop respecting them. This wasn't a problem at FAANG companies or in school, meritocracy was king in both domains, not one's ego (or heaven forbid seniority, you can have 20 years of experience and be useless similar to how you can have an IQ of 140 and be completely worthless.)

I suppose this would also involve turning the other cheek; something I really suck at doing.

TL;DR

Treat life like a workout.

Back
Top Bottom