Why aren't ATVs allow on the streets? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Why aren't ATVs allow on the streets?

Um no. It's not a blanket ok for rural areas, Just some roads in rural areas, and only where local governments have expressly permitted it. Details at http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/orv.shtml

LOL...I can go to my home town (rural area of Ontario) and I can ride an ATV. If you really want to get into semantics "just because" than you should probably mention that you need a license as well. You forgot that part!

I do get where people find it fun to play with you though. You make it so easy. :)

Cheers

Paul

You can run ATV's on the road in rural areas of Ontario. It was illegal when I was a kid...got a few tickets for that. But now you can. :)

I have a blast every summer riding my ATV on the road between trails in various areas of Ontario. Heck, we even ride our ATVs right into Bewdley for lunch when we ride the Ganny. I'm not sure it's legal in Bewdley, but we aren't idiots on the road so we've never had a problem.

Here's a clip from a couple years ago where we had a bunch of ATVs, ATCs, and dirt bikes roll into the town of Stirling Ontario for lunch. It's hard to see, but at the 6 minute mark you see me look at the Stirling Police station as we ride right past it:

[video=youtube;1yhpMb9thiU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yhpMb9thiU#t=6m[/video]

LOL...I can go to my home town (rural area of Ontario) and I can ride an ATV. If you really want to get into semantics "just because" than you should probably mention that you need a license as well. You forgot that part!

I do get where people find it fun to play with you though. You make it so easy. :)

Cheers

Paul

That's not semantics at work at all. It's a matter of being factually correct or not, which should be welcome in this thread given its title.

The problem in making a blanket statement like "you can ride ATVs in rural areas" is that someone might take it at face value. If someone followed your "advice" in my rural area, one that has no enabling ATV bylaw, the OPP would be sure to "educate" them otherwise as several have already found out to their chagrin.

Same goes for all of Halton, Peel and Durham regions, each of which has their own rural areas and which as of last year at least had not passed the required enabling bylaws to permit ATV on their rural roads or shoulders. So maybe you think it's fun to play like this, but why would you want to pass along incomplete and potentially damaging info to the readers here? Is that fun too?

I have a blast every summer riding my ATV on the road between trails in various areas of Ontario. Heck, we even ride our ATVs right into Bewdley for lunch when we ride the Ganny. I'm not sure it's legal in Bewdley, but we aren't idiots on the road so we've never had a problem.

Here's a clip from a couple years ago where we had a bunch of ATVs, ATCs, and dirt bikes roll into the town of Stirling Ontario for lunch. It's hard to see, but at the 6 minute mark you see me look at the Stirling Police station as we ride right past it:

Better be careful. Bikes don't get the same courtesy as ATVs and can be nailed for it if the cop feels like it.

Cheers

Paul

Watch out paul, he's pulled out his turbofacts and soon he'll be using his turbomath....

Watch out paul, he's pulled out his turbofacts and soon he'll be using his turbomath....
If the facts are incorrect, show us all how they are. Otherwise I'll assume you have absolutely nothing of worth to contribute other than yet another personal slag attack.

Where Off-Road Vehicles Can/Cannot Travel

Provincial regulations apply to provincial highways only
Prohibited from 400 series highways, Queen Elizabeth Way and most sections of the Trans-Canada Highway.
Generally, vehicles will be allowed access to highways 500 to 899, 7000 series highways and highways with low traffic volumes.
Specific provincial highways where ORVs can/cannot travel are defined in the schedules of Regulation 316/03 of the Highway Traffic Act.
Provisions allowing ORVs on roads in far Northern Ontario also apply.
ORVs can operate on shoulder; move to travelled portion of highway if shoulder is impassable/unsafe
Speed limit lower than posted limits:
20 km/h - highways where speed limit is 50 km/h or less;
50 km/h - highways where speed limit is over 50 km/h.
Not allowed on rights-of-way (e.g., medians) between opposing lanes of traffic.
Cannot operate in a construction zone, on a closed highway, or within a provincial park unless allowed by the park.
Municipalities may pass by-laws to decide if, where and when off-road vehicles can be used on local roads.

plenty of rural roads that municipalities don't have a say in because they are controlled by the province

plenty of rural roads that municipalities don't have a say in because they are controlled by the province

So what you're trying to say there is that ATV's are generally allowed on the roads in rural areas, unless someone uses creative math and even more creative statistics to "disprove" the facts just outlined in the previous statement? :cool:

So what you're trying to say there is that ATV's are generally allowed on the roads in rural areas, unless someone uses creative math and even more creative statistics to "disprove" the facts just outlined in the previous statement? :cool:

lmao too funny

The number of rural highways under provincial control is very small compared to the number of rural roads under local municipality, county or regional municipality control, especially in the eastern and southern Ontario areas. As far as provincial roads go, look again at the list of roads where access is granted. It's quite restrictive. A blanket statement claiming that ATVs are allowed on rural roads is very misleading.

Try running an ATV along a provincial highway just about anywhere in the GTA and see where that gets you. Have a look at the Town of Oakville bylaws and check out the fines if you are caught using an ATV for recreational use ANYWHERE in Oakville, including the rural parts of northern Oakville.

Check out local bylaws for other southern Ontario locales (and especially GTA-area locales) and you will find many more like Oakville than you may find like Minden. If an ATV operator isn't aware of the differences, the results can be very painful, and even more-so for someone who was misled into thinking they were doing nothing wrong as a result of reading misinformation on a public forum.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom