Why aren't ATVs allow on the streets? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Why aren't ATVs allow on the streets?

Red Dingo

Had this conversation today at work and it got brought up that a dirt bike can be fitted with the appropriate lights, tires and if platted and insured, be allowed on the streets. So why then cant an ATV which has all the same not be allowed? Tried google and keep getting the rules of where they cant go but no reasons as to why they can't. Just more or less curious now, lol.

The simple answer- It has 4 wheels, just like a car.

I looked into this a few years ago when I bought my quad. There were a couple of years back in the early 2000's where you could. Basically because they have 4 wheels they are held to the same safety standards as a car. So that would mean that they would have to meet the same crash tests and all that kind of stuff. There is obviously no way they could do that, hence why you could never get one "safetied" for the road. I was talking about it to a co-worker back then, and he told me there was a guy he knew in Burlington that got his street legal and it was grandfathered in. I know my co-worker rode with some guys here, so perhaps they may know the quad guy as well.

A "dirt bike" (or dual sport) is held to the same as a motorcycle, and that is why with the right lights etc. you can get them done for the road. But even that changed in the past couple of years. Now if the bike is green plated, I believe it is either impossible, or next to impossible to get it blue plated (street legal).

Last edited:
lets start a petition n take this to the higher ups! i wanna roll in a atv! seriously!

You can in England, no idea why not here.

A Can-Am spyder is pretty much an ATV anyway, and they are allowed to get licensed.

As I said. An ATV has 4 wheels and is therefore seen as EQUAL to a car. A Can-Am has three wheels, not four.

I understand what you're saying.

What I am saying is that the Can-Am Spyder has more in common with an ATV than it does a motorcycle. Yet, it is still licensed as such.

Oh, sorry, I thought you didn't understand what I was saying, lol.

Yeah, it's just another bullcrap law. I'm actually really surprised that you don't hear more about people asking this. I can't remember the movie, but it had two guys on quads that rolled with some sport bike guys. It looked awesome and is what made me start looking into it.

I can't remember the movie, but it had two guys on quads that rolled with some sport bike guys. It looked awesome and is what made me start looking into it.

Probably a Ruff Ryder movie. they did look pretty cool.

On another forum there is a thread going about a situation in B.C. where the four wheels = car rule is strictly enforced.
You can rig a set of suppport wheels for heavy bikes (Voyager Kit?) that is beneficial to riders with leg strength issues. It is a fraction of the price of a true trike conversion. Since the bike ends up with four wheels it can't be licenced as a M/C and it doesn't meet the safety requirements of a cage.
Some people still run them because they convert an already licenced bike and play dumb. The problem is they could be pulled off the road at any time by an observant cop and worse still find out that they have no insurance after having an accident.

Re the ATV on the road, I can see the insurance boys having fits.

Had this conversation today at work and it got brought up that a dirt bike can be fitted with the appropriate lights, tires and if platted and insured, be allowed on the streets.

Did they reverse that law? A few years ago the government changed the law that would let you convert off road bikes (green plate) to on road (blue plate). Last I heard you could only blue plate a bike that was street legal from the manufacturer. Any bikes converted before the law was changed were grandfathered in, I've got a street legal xr200 that I converted just before the law was changed. I know the ODSC was working to get that reversed but I hadn't heard if they were successful.

You can in England, no idea why not here.

A Can-Am spyder is pretty much an ATV anyway, and they are allowed to get licensed.
You can in Italy and spain as well, maybe France also. I was surprised when I saw a bunch of sport quad downtown Roma with the plate and turning light on it, it looks awersome :D

Ask the Haliburton atv club http://www.haliburtonatv.com/index.html
They have the largest network of trails in the province, with road allowances in some areas.
Seen atv's on the road in Germany too....but with street tires and signals I believe.

You can rig a set of suppport wheels for heavy bikes (Voyager Kit?) that is beneficial to riders with leg strength issues. It is a fraction of the price of a true trike conversion. Since the bike ends up with four wheels it can't be licenced as a M/C and it doesn't meet the safety requirements of a cage.

Re the ATV on the road, I can see the insurance boys having fits.

Saw guys rolling with this down in Dover...Was about a $5k conversion, attaches in minutes.

So I'm not sure it's not legal here...

Did they reverse that law? A few years ago the government changed the law that would let you convert off road bikes (green plate) to on road (blue plate). Last I heard you could only blue plate a bike that was street legal from the manufacturer. Any bikes converted before the law was changed were grandfathered in, I've got a street legal xr200 that I converted just before the law was changed. I know the ODSC was working to get that reversed but I hadn't heard if they were successful.

Hmm, have no idea if this is actually the case or not, we were just more or less talking and we thought that was the way it is, lol.

You can run ATV's on the road in rural areas of Ontario. It was illegal when I was a kid...got a few tickets for that. But now you can. :)

You can run ATV's on the road in rural areas of Ontario. It was illegal when I was a kid...got a few tickets for that. But now you can. :)

SOME roads in SOME rural areas, rider only and no passengers, helmet mandatory, speed restrictions, and even then only if the local municipality has passed an enabling bylaw specifying the specific roads this is permitted on.

SOME roads in SOME rural areas, rider only and no passengers, helmet mandatory, speed restrictions, and even then only if the local municipality has passed an enabling bylaw specifying the specific roads this is permitted on.

So...you're saying "You can run ATV's on the road in rural areas of Ontario"

Thanks for the confirmation. ;)

Back
Top Bottom