Who's still riding? (Fall & Winter 2020 Edition) | Page 27 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who's still riding? (Fall & Winter 2020 Edition)

Beautiful ride in to work this Morning! My bike's temperature display stops below -10c but the apps said it was -12c when I left home. Nice clear sky, roads were fine.

No Bugs!

..Tom

Beautiful ride in to work this Morning! My bike's temperature display stops below -10c but the apps said it was -12c when I left home. Nice clear sky, roads were fine.

No Bugs!

..Tom
???

The snow is so frozen you can ride on top of it in places right now :cool: you know what that means!

If your tires don't freeze off, you can aim it absolutely anywhere and she might even make it.
or until the front wheel breaks through the snow crust and you go over the bars.

I should have made a movie of that bridge crossing :LOL:

The snow is so frozen you can ride on top of it in places right now :cool: you know what that means!

If your tires don't freeze off, you can aim it absolutely anywhere and she might even make it.
or until the front wheel breaks through the snow crust and you go over the bars.

I should have made a movie of that bridge crossing :LOL:

You could call the movie "Bridge over the river ice." or something like that.

Wish I could ride a trials bike! (Bad knees and weight make it impractical.)

When I was 13 and had my first motorcycle (Honda 90 road bike) I rode it all the time. It weighed almost nothing and was fun in the snow. Also was able to park it by just stuffing it into a snow bank.

..Tom

I saw someone in a Suzuki DR650 during lunch today

You could call the movie "Bridge over the river ice." or something like that.

Wish I could ride a trials bike! (Bad knees and weight make it impractical.)

When I was 13 and had my first motorcycle (Honda 90 road bike) I rode it all the time. It weighed almost nothing and was fun in the snow. Also was able to park it by just stuffing it into a snow bank.

..Tom
Andre Burke (y) he use to put on 2 knee braces before every ride, amazing rider.

Weight? Heavy riders enjoy great traction advantage. You should try it again on something that has great brakes, great suspension, a one finger clutch and weighs less then your Honda 90 did.

Why are most riders so scared of the cold? I feel like an alien on the road riding from November to March, only seen 3 other riders so far this winter.

Last edited:

No Bugs!

..Tom

What, you didn't crash every 15 feet because your tires had zero traction and your bike didn't collapse into a pile or rust? And your engine didn't catastrophically fail after being started in subzero temperatures?

Pretty sure some motorcycle owners are convinced all of that is an absolute reality if you (gasp!) dare ride your motorcycle in the winter. Some are convinced motorcycle tires apparently have negative traction in the winter or something as well.

Reading the gasps of horror from the 1000km/season Hortons Choice riders in some of the facebook groups about riding in the winter months is pretty hilarious.

What, you didn't crash every 15 feet because your tires had zero traction and your bike didn't collapse into a pile or rust? And your engine didn't catastrophically fail after being started in subzero temperatures?

Pretty sure some motorcycle owners are convinced all of that is an absolute reality if you (gasp!) dare ride your motorcycle in the winter. Some are convinced motorcycle tires apparently have negative traction in the winter or something as well.

Reading the gasps of horror from the 1000km/season Hortons Choice riders in some of the facebook groups about riding in the winter months is pretty hilarious.
Hortons Choice, awesome PP.

Why are most riders so scared of the cold? I feel like an alien on the road riding from November to March, only seen 3 other riders so far this winter.
I rode 12 months a year for about 10 years straight. It used to be about riding, riding, riding all the time and everywhere and anywhere I could. I liked getting the crazy looks from people when commuting, riding out to Port Dover only if the 13th fell on a winter month, and testing my skills riding in snowstorms. It was also about how many kilometres I could ride in one year and try to beat my previous year. It was about how cold or difficult weather conditions I could I ride through. If any of that is your thing, great - enjoy these moments while you can.

Most riders just simply don’t enjoy riding in the cold, especially if they ride without heated gear or good wind protection. If riding motorcycles is supposed to be fun, then riding in the cold takes that fun out of it for most, especially when this is done as a hobby and not a primary mode of transportation.

Most riders like their bikes to be pretty clean. They don’t want to go out riding and then feel the need to wash the salt dust or slush puddles off their bike after each ride.

Many riders prefer to move quickly on their bikes, so cold tires, cold pavement, sand and salt in the corners and risk of ice from the frequent freeze/thaw cycles don’t make it worthwhile to ride.

Personally, even with a capable winter bike, lots of experience and a full heated gear setup, I’ve just moved on to things that are more enjoyable to me than riding in the winter. Like spending time with my wife, because she knows I’ll be out riding in the summer!

Back
Top Bottom