Who's still riding? (Fall & Winter 2020 Edition) | Page 28 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who's still riding? (Fall & Winter 2020 Edition)

Why are most riders so scared of the cold? I feel like an alien on the road riding from November to March, only seen 3 other riders so far this winter.
As much as I enjoy riding, I just don't find colder weather enjoyable on the bike. Cold wind vrs warm in your face ?‍♂️ My limit is around +5 which works well for me and the bike without having to do much extra, either different oils, or excessive layers, extra heated gear. Additionally winter hazards for a vechicle not meant for it, why risk it. Plus a bit of a break is good now and then ;).

Last edited:
:unsure: armchair warrior?

I ride motorcycles, yesterday today and tomorrow.
:cool: Josh & Jake are on the way now, going to be a blast riding again today.

... I think Ron is out today, he broke both fenders yesterday and it's dangerous riding an open wheel motorcycle with studded tires :ROFLMAO:

Why are most riders so scared of the cold? I feel like an alien on the road riding from November to March, only seen 3 other riders so far this winter.

I guess it boils down the motives behind our riding, and the definition of "fun" obtained from motorcycling thereof. Mine kept changing over the years. Back where I am from, we rarely get sub zero temperatures in the winter, so I used to ride out to the Himalayas, in search of snow. My motive was "prove to the world, that riding on black ice is possible". A false ego booster. I was 23.

Then I got into endurance riding. I once rode 1000+ kms, in 33 hours, 750 of which where on the highest roads in the world, to Ladakh from Delhi, a journey that normally took 3 days (log here: The Leh Marathon!)

My motive was "prove to the world, that I am an endurance rider". Another false ego booster. I was 26.

With time, I realized that ego is preventing me from doing the one thing that really got me into riding in the first place. Having fun - especially on curvy roads - without having to boost my ego from an external record of sorts. My motive is enjoyment. I am 36.

I tried "fun" this January, but it was missing, as there was frozen ice on the pavement, here and there. I don't like idea of testing my CE-Level 1 knee protector, especially in winters! I am not skilled enough. No fun, hence no ride.

Like I said, with time, motives change. Currently I am motivated to head out to Gaspe whenever the opportunity strikes :)

Currently I am motivated to head out to Gaspe whenever the opportunity strikes :)
Given the high chance of not comfortably riding through the states again this year, either Gaspe or the north shore of the St Lawrence are what I'm hoping for. If you haven't checked it out already - look into the Manic Cinq Dam and the area to and from Lac St Jean as part of the same trip.

Something like: Trois-Rivières to Quebec City Area
1615042949630.png

I rode 12 months a year for about 10 years straight. It used to be about riding, riding, riding all the time and everywhere and anywhere I could.

I just love riding.

..Tom

Given the high chance of not comfortably riding through the states again this year, either Gaspe or the north shore of the St Lawrence are what I'm hoping for. If you haven't checked it out already - look into the Manic Cinq Dam and the area to and from Lac St Jean as part of the same trip.

Something like: Trois-Rivières to Quebec City Area

That's great to know Shane! Perhaps we can plan something together, in that area - June/July.

Last edited:
I just love riding.

..Tom
Hey Tom, I've been curious with all the riding you do how much time do you spend on maintenance? I imagine it must be quite a bit and you must have a routine to keep on top of it? And new tires each season?

brave winter warriors, with their giant windscreens and heated everything

WFH is over for me - finally! I’m looking so forward to commuting on 2 wheels, looks like next week will be the start for my 2021 season.

What's the prospect process to get patched in? Asking for a friend...

Initiation is proving you've rode your motorcycle to every Tim Hortons within a 25 km radius of your house and having spent at least 4 hours at each sitting in the parking lot. You must also stay under 1000km on the entire season. If you go to any rallies, you MUST trailer your bike.

And you're in...full patch.

Be careful though, Hortons Choice and Timmies Angels are having a turf war right now though, I hear.

Last edited:
I'll be out for a ride in the next couple of weeks. Only about 4-5 weeks until full time riding season opens up. No rush for me because I still have projects to finish around the house. Be nice ride down to Farkle Row at Tim's again, sipping a latte in the warm spring sun with the gang.

I'll be out Tuesday 100000%.

Had the bike out of the garage today so I could get the back end of the car in for something....started her up for the first time since January if only for the ride back up into the garage.

Initiation is proving you've rode your motorcycle to every Tim Hortons within a 50 km radius of your house and having spent at least 4 hours at each sitting in the parking lot. You must also stay under 1000km on the entire season. If you go to any rallies, you MUST trailer your bike.

And you're in...full patch.

Be careful though, Hortons Choice and Timmies Angels are having a turf war right now though, I hear.
Hahahah I wonder how many members are on here ? starbucks angels are gaining numbers too..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom