Where to get railroad ties | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where to get railroad ties

Jampy00

Site Supporter
Have a retaining wall made from what I assume are rail road ties at least they smell like rail road ties.
It's old and a few of them have rotted through, so I was wondering if anyone know where I may purchase some to do some repairs? I guess I could also use pressure treated 6x6's but wonder which way would be more economical?
I eventually want to replace the wall with heavy stone but not sure if I have the budget for that this year... So some options would be great.

Have a retaining wall made from what I assume are rail road ties at least they smell like rail road ties.
It's old and a few of them have rotted through, so I was wondering if anyone know where I may purchase some to do some repairs? I guess I could also use pressure treated 6x6's but wonder which way would be more economical?
I eventually want to replace the wall with heavy stone but not sure if I have the budget for that this year... So some options would be great.
I would try PNR in Guelph they should be able to at least direct you where to get some

Sent from the future

how long do you need them to be? railroad ties are fairly short to just tie in the 2 tracks and kept to a bare minimum to maximize material.

I've only seen them come in to any job site at the length that they are required, never longer.

I think it'd be easier to just buy 6x6 or 8x8 and cut to size that you require with long 12-16" nails hammered in to hold them together.

Railroad ties are used often in the concrete industry because they are great at separating large and heavy pieces from one another. CSI is the only company I can think of, out in Whitby that's local that may have something similar to your need.

Winston Churchill north of norval where the train tracks cross, I’ve seen used ties stored there from time to time

Green Mountain Landscaping supply in Stoney Creek up on centennial has been the outlet for CN and CP for about least 50 yrs selling rail ties . They are sold in different grades , depending on how old/crappy they are . How crappy they are depends on where the railway was they got pulled out from under . If you want new ties , that have not been creosote soaked , any industrial lumber wholesaler can get you lift lots of 8x10 #3 hardwood . If you see them stacked beside a crossing , just sitting around , do not help yourself . CN has there own police dept. and they are much more vigilant than your regional force .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Green Mountain Landscaping supply in Stoney Creek up on centennial has been the outlet for CN and CP for about least 50 yrs selling rail ties . They are sold in different grades , depending on how old/crappy they are . How crappy they are depends on where the railway was they got pulled out from under . If you want new ties , that have not been creosote soaked , any industrial lumber wholesaler can get you lift lots of 8x10 #3 hardwood . If you see them stacked beside a crossing , just sitting around , do not help yourself . CN has there own police dept. and they are much more vigilant than your regional force .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
Thanks.. LOL don't plan on stealing railroad ties..

Any REAL landscaping supplier can sell you railway ties.
There are concrete interlocking alternatives that work MUCH better and are comparatively priced

If you’re concerned about the ties on Winston Churchill there is a business that’s on the property you could inquire about the ties.

I wasn’t suggesting that you steal them

If you’re concerned about the ties on Winston Churchill there is a business that’s on the property you could inquire about the ties.

I wasn’t suggesting that you steal them
My response was not directed at you.
Not sure if I waste time/money on repairs or hope it holds for another year or two until I replace with stone,...

There's some laying around in Orangeville. Whoever the Town hired to haul them away has reneged the job.
Yes, in several places where the old track allowance crossed town roads. There is a pretty good pile off Dawson just south of Broadway. I'm sure someone would be happy if they disappeared.

My dad needed some last year for a retaining wall at the trailer.
I called some landscape supply places and they didn't have them.

Van Beeks had a bunch at one point but stopped spelling them .

I was told that it's something to do with the chemicals in them that they don't sell them anymore.

I could be wrong.

Might have to resort to PT lumber.

I was told that it's something to do with the chemicals
Creosote... basically tar, the oil sludge that doesn't refine.
...which is one reason why most railway companies worldwide use concrete ties ... and concrete lasts longer... and concrete ties are cheaper... and concrete ties are cheaper to install (Not here in Canada, where we gots more trees than brains... but we're using concrete ties more and more)
1 liter of oil can contaminate 1,000,000 liters of ground water

I recently saw a pile of them someplace, just at the side of the road. Surprised they were there and no one scooped them.

Are they pulling up old ties while they put in the new rail line below the Danforth?

Creosote... basically tar, the oil sludge that doesn't refine.
...which is one reason why most railway companies worldwide use concrete ties ... and concrete lasts longer... and concrete ties are cheaper... and concrete ties are cheaper to install (Not here in Canada, where we gots more trees than brains... but we're using concrete ties more and more)
1 liter of oil can contaminate 1,000,000 liters of ground water
According to my estimates a tie can be replaced by $20 worth of concrete.

According to my estimates a tie can be replaced by $20 worth of concrete.
Don't disagree but in my circumstance I'd be replacing rotted ones.
But, as stated my hold off until I can replace with armor stone blocks.

Back
Top Bottom