What did you do in your garage today..? | Page 171 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do in your garage today..?

Be safe out there dont forget to do your T-CLOCS before a ride.

Yup you’re right. I got over excited and just assumed everything was great. It looked good…but it wasn’t.

There’s still that rubbing noise coming from the front that I’m not happy with…but I can’t source it.

Sounds like a next owner problem.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
It could be normal. I know the bearings were replaced by the previous owner as she showed me the receipts along with tires and crash bars.

It could be normal. I know the bearings were replaced by the previous owner as she showed me the receipts along with tires and crash bars.
Put it up on a stand, and spin the front wheel.

See if its brake drag. Could need to clean the pads and calipers.

Fender rub?

Noisy tread pattern?
Tkc-80s or something on it? Semi knobbies (kind of a scrambler thing) make more noise than a normal street tire.

When it is up on the stand I'd remove the pads and then give the wheel a spin. If no noise, definitely brake related. Remove the wheel and then clean the pads, the pad pins, the caliper and the caliper pins as well as the pistons. This should be done once a season.

We had 12 perfect snow condition days, all in a row, then gone with rain. I rode 6-7 of those days. Didn't have much Spring maintenance to do at least.
Where, pray tell, do you sled? None of the trails were open in the Orillia area. Guys were trailering their sleds pretty far to get to trails. Didn't get the sleds out once this year. I don't know anyone in the area who got any sled time, and most guys I talked to are saying they won't buy passes next year.

Fender rub?

Noisy tread pattern?
Tkc-80s or something on it? Semi knobbies (kind of a scrambler thing) make more noise than a normal street tire.

It sounds slightly metallic…def don’t believe it’s fender rub as I don’t see any wear on the front fender.

Will need to lift uptake front end.

Anyone use those roller stands to put wheel un and be able to roll it? Something like this?

That's OK for cleaning your chain, but for diagnosing the front tire rubbing sound, you'll be fighting over whatever noise those rollers will make. Just get a front fork stand that you can use for that and future tire changes, or come by and borrow mine.

No. If you have a center stand, put it in the center stand and throw a backpack with some weight in it on the passenger seat (or put some weight in the top box). That should rock the bike back enough that the front wheel is in the air. Alternatively, I have done a ratchet strap around the triple trees and up to a a rafter or tree branch.

Where, pray tell, do you sled? None of the trails were open in the Orillia area. Guys were trailering their sleds pretty far to get to trails. Didn't get the sleds out once this year. I don't know anyone in the area who got any sled time, and most guys I talked to are saying they won't buy passes next year.
Northumberland area.

I did almost no trails this year - they weren't open when I had time to ride - the first time I can recall this ever happening. I ride mostly in the greater Timmins area.

Fortunately, where I ride there are endless lakes rivers, logging roads, and hydro cuts to ride. A little trickier than tails but still good riding.

Finally got around to doing the oil change on the bike yesterday. Then a nice ride as my reward.
You winterized it with dirty oil? Or were you trying to stretch the season with rides during those warm days we had?

You winterized it with dirty oil? Or were you trying to stretch the season with rides during those warm days we had?
I stopped doing fall oil changes years ago. My winterization now consists of putting stabil in a full tank, plugging in the battery tender and putting the cover over the bike. Last season I put on less than 3000 km after the last oil change, so the full synthetic oil was still relatively fresh. I rode another 1000 km this spring before I changed it out because, as you said the weather was warm and I was waiting for the Royal Tent sale to make it worth the drive over to Guelph.

By the way, was that you I saw up near Angus on Monday?

I stopped doing fall oil changes years ago. My winterization now consists of putting stabil in a full tank, plugging in the battery tender and putting the cover over the bike. Last season I put on less than 3000 km after the last oil change, so the full synthetic oil was still relatively fresh. I rode another 1000 km this spring before I changed it out because, as you said the weather was warm and I was waiting for the Royal Tent sale to make it worth the drive over to Guelph.

By the way, was that you I saw up near Angus on Monday?
That makes a lot of sense. I have this guilt feeling of neglect with un-fresh oil even after a low miles. I used to even put Cdn Tire dino m/c oil and ride it in the spring a few days then change to synthetic. BUT since oil shot up, just synthetic change at the end of the season and use it for the next season.

No that wasn't me near Angus on Monday, but I was there 3 weeks ago on Sunday!

can anyone here let me park my bike in their garage. willing to pay as well. in downtown toronto/eastyork/north york area... ?

Brought these two home on Saturday. Both 1983 GoldWings. Bike on the left is actually the last year of the Naked Wing. It is complete but we stripped it a bit trying to get it running. Appears to have no spark and the carb slides are stuck.

The Intersate on the other hand is a runner. It needs the brakes done and at least one muffler off the naked version. If my hips let me ride it for more than an hour it's my new touring machine. If not I'll likely build another drag bike (I miss that). As for the naked bike? Not sure if it's much more than a boat anchor.

If anyone has a GL1100 that needs extra chrome & lights everything in the second pic is yours for a sixpack of tall boys.

Full disclosure: This was a Kijiji purchase. Originally listed at $2000 for the pair. When I saw the add the price was dropped to $1500 but the body of the ad still said 2K. Tried to show the ad to a buddy but couldn't find it. He found it later and called me to say the price was dropped to $1000.
Showed up with a trailer and left after spending $800. Of course when get a package like this there is always a "box of parts" so I have 2 new oil filters, a brand new water pump still in the package and a Corbin seat.

IMG_1168.JPGIMG_1170.JPG

Worked on the old man’s CR250, rear master was seized so rebuilt that. Then gave the bike a once over, greased everything and went through the carb quickly (I screwed up and didn’t drain the float bowl last time I rode it)

Changed the oil and flushed the brakes, then a quick rip and realized i can’t adjust the idle because the choke rod thing is bent. So waiting on that part before it’s ready to ride for the season.
IMG_2568.jpeg

Pulled the ol XR50 out, cleaned the carb on that as well (I may have a problem forgetting to drain floats before storage) then got carried away and spent half the afternoon cleaning everything on it because I already had it apart so why not.

Side note, is it possible to lose money on a 50cc mini? Assuming it’s brand name and you don’t blow it up

Side note, is it possible to lose money on a 50cc mini? Assuming it’s brand name and you don’t blow it up
Yes. While the market value of the the bike won't depreciate much (and may even appreciate a little), if you pay too much when you get it, there is little opportunity to get that back unless you get lucky with another sucker.

Back
Top Bottom