What did you do in your garage today..? | Page 172 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do in your garage today..?

Yes. While the market value of the the bike won't depreciate much (and may even appreciate a little), if you pay too much when you get it, there is little opportunity to get that back unless you get lucky with another sucker.

XR/CRF50's seem to be the popular choice not just for kids to learn on, but also mini-moto track days. Considering you can buy a brand new one for $2500, it's crazy that people are asking anywhere from $1600-2300 for their early 2000's.

Brought these two home on Saturday. Both 1983 GoldWings. Bike on the left is actually the last year of the Naked Wing. It is complete but we stripped it a bit trying to get it running. Appears to have no spark and the carb slides are stuck.

The Intersate on the other hand is a runner. It needs the brakes done and at least one muffler off the naked version. If my hips let me ride it for more than an hour it's my new touring machine. If not I'll likely build another drag bike (I miss that). As for the naked bike? Not sure if it's much more than a boat anchor.

If anyone has a GL1100 that needs extra chrome & lights everything in the second pic is yours for a sixpack of tall boys.

Full disclosure: This was a Kijiji purchase. Originally listed at $2000 for the pair. When I saw the add the price was dropped to $1500 but the body of the ad still said 2K. Tried to show the ad to a buddy but couldn't find it. He found it later and called me to say the price was dropped to $1000.
Showed up with a trailer and left after spending $800. Of course when get a package like this there is always a "box of parts" so I have 2 new oil filters, a brand new water pump still in the package and a Corbin seat.

View attachment 67702View attachment 67703
I'm a sucker for oldWings. I've had a couple, just one now.

Get to know Steve Saunders websites.

Last edited:
I'm a sucker for oldWings. I've had a couple, just one now.

Get to know Steve Saunders websites.
Yup. These are #3 & #4.

Forgot to mention, ownerships for both bike. Both signed over on the back. Neither in the name of the guy I bought them from. For 8 brown I didn't stiff him for the missing UVIPs. I'm interested in the stories they may tell.

A little concerned with the vulnerability of the rear master cylinder on the Dragonfly, so20240411_202226.jpg20240513_204550.jpg i got a faux carbon guard for a Beta (same master) and with a bit of cutting for clearance, it fits perfectly. All ready for next trial in Creemore with my daughter.

Worked on the old man’s CR250, rear master was seized so rebuilt that. Then gave the bike a once over, greased everything and went through the carb quickly (I screwed up and didn’t drain the float bowl last time I rode it)

Changed the oil and flushed the brakes, then a quick rip and realized i can’t adjust the idle because the choke rod thing is bent. So waiting on that part before it’s ready to ride for the season.
View attachment 67707

Pulled the ol XR50 out, cleaned the carb on that as well (I may have a problem forgetting to drain floats before storage) then got carried away and spent half the afternoon cleaning everything on it because I already had it apart so why not.

Side note, is it possible to lose money on a 50cc mini? Assuming it’s brand name and you don’t blow it up
If you're keeping one for a while I don't see any reason to buy a used one over a new for the price difference. I was $3,000 out the door on my new one which was worth the few hundred over a used one since the chances are high that we'll keep it forever.

Speedometer has been somewhat mysterious and vague on my TL1000S for a while. I was willfully ignoring it because I'm getting really annoyed with finding unobtanium fiddly bits that are damaged/broken, but I finally looked today.

Bolt holding on the sensor rotor was loose. Nothing damaged as far as I can tell, even... beautiful
Luck swinging the other way. I just got rid of a car... I still had a set of "nice" wheels for it that I was hoping to sell separately. Pulled them out to clean them off a bit and take pictures - realized that one of them is bent AND has a screw in the tire.
20240514_153754 - crop.jpg20240514_153658 - crop.jpg

Luck swinging the other way. I just got rid of a car... I still had a set of "nice" wheels for it that I was hoping to sell separately. Pulled them out to clean them off a bit and take pictures - realized that one of them is bent AND has a screw in the tire.
View attachment 67727View attachment 67728
I’ve sold used wheels before. Had a crack through the rim and held.

Guy that bought it didn’t seem to care when I told him. But I priced accordingly for stupid cheap.

Installed a Bak Revolver X4S tonneau cover on the new truck. Took an hour with prep. Spent another hour trying to square it even so it latched equal on both sides but couldn't get it as good as I wanted so dropped by the accessory dealer who said to bring it by if it needs an adjustment. Turns out the manual doesn't say the rear latches can be adjusted so a quick adjustment on one side and it was perfect. Nice cover.
Also installed wheel liners which Ford charges $100 to install. I timed myself and it took me 3 minutes to do both sides.

Installed a Bak Revolver X4S tonneau cover on the new truck. Took an hour with prep. Spent another hour trying to square it even so it latched equal on both sides but couldn't get it as good as I wanted so dropped by the accessory dealer who said to bring it by if it needs an adjustment. Turns out the manual doesn't say the rear latches can be adjusted so a quick adjustment on one side and it was perfect. Nice cover.
Also installed wheel liners which Ford charges $100 to install. I timed myself and it took me 3 minutes to do both sides.

Nice. I've got the Bakflip MX4 on our Tacoma. Love it.

Super easy to take off and put on for loading bikes in the bed. Been running it for years with no problem.

Used grease to get the stuck pistons out of the calipers on the new Wing. Compressed air would not budge them. If anyone knows of a messier method please let me know. IMG_1184.JPG

Used grease to get the stuck pistons out of the calipers on the new Wing. Compressed air would not budge them. If anyone knows of a messier method please let me know. View attachment 67840
Are those cassettes there just because they have been sitting there for many years or do they actually get played?

Used grease to get the stuck pistons out of the calipers on the new Wing. Compressed air would not budge them. If anyone knows of a messier method please let me know. View attachment 67840
I had same situation with a spare set I got. As long as the pistons aren’t bottomed out, I used a C clamp with thin wooden shims to protect caliper and gently tightened until it budged and then compressed air to push out.

I had same situation with a spare set I got. As long as the pistons aren’t bottomed out, I used a C clamp with thin wooden shims to protect caliper and gently tightened until it budged and then compressed air to push out.
I have a piston removal tool if anyone ever needs one.

Brake Piston Puller Motorcycle Brake Piston Removal Pliers Brake Piston Removal Plier High Efficiency Long Lifespan Universal for Motorcycle Motorbike https://a.co/d/3x69e4z

Garage adjacent. Found a Simpson 635 in great shape for a song. Opened it up to pull out the batteries so the green death doesn't kill it (I will be using it exclusively to test batteries so I have no need for internal batteries). Batteries were Radio Shack and Energizer made in Canada by Union Carbide from 1987. All still at just under 1.5 volts and only one with a slight leak. Crazy. It lives on the electronic workbench now. Faster than turning on a DMM (and I don't have a bench DMM so the handheld meters have a tendency to wander).

I have a piston removal tool if anyone ever needs one.

Brake Piston Puller Motorcycle Brake Piston Removal Pliers Brake Piston Removal Plier High Efficiency Long Lifespan Universal for Motorcycle Motorbike Amazon.ca
Never knew such a gadget existed. Thanks!

Good thing the compressed air didn’t work. That usually results in the piston blasting across the garage and banging off something expensive parked there…
He has a piece of plywood in front of pistons to stop that from happening.

Are those cassettes there just because they have been sitting there for many years or do they actually get played?
They get played. I have milk crates full. That said yesterday I had to switch to CDs, for some reason on tape the bass is screwed up.

I had them almost out and still my comp air wouldn't move them. Did manage to grease on the air hose though...

Back
Top Bottom