What did you do in your garage today..? | Page 173 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do in your garage today..?

I have a piston removal tool if anyone ever needs one.

Brake Piston Puller Motorcycle Brake Piston Removal Pliers Brake Piston Removal Plier High Efficiency Long Lifespan Universal for Motorcycle Motorbike Amazon.ca
So you expand it inside the piston to get a grip? I wonder if that would have worked or just slipped. Sure would save a huge mess.
Today is caliper degreasing day.

So you expand it inside the piston to get a grip? I wonder if that would have worked or just slipped. Sure would save a huge mess.
Today is caliper degreasing day.
Correct.

The black end of the pliers have a corse finished and provide grip in the inside of the piston body.
The harder you grip the pliers the stronger they hold.
You can then twist the piston in the same spot and slowly work it out if the caliper.
Works really well.

I have a piston removal tool if anyone ever needs one.

Brake Piston Puller Motorcycle Brake Piston Removal Pliers Brake Piston Removal Plier High Efficiency Long Lifespan Universal for Motorcycle Motorbike https://a.co/d/3x69e4z
Those are great when the piston is free, not good for a piston that is stuck.

Those are great when the piston is free, not good for a piston that is stuck.
Maybe mine was as stuck as your was.
Mine sat untouched for 12 years.

Last week I fitted one of those clip on Puig wind deflectors. I found a cheap one shipped from Europe on amazon (about $50 cheaper than anywhere here) and took a chance. It eventually arrived and I put it on, adjusted it and have had a few rides now and it’s awesome. Things are a fair bit quieter in the helmet now. Great purchase.

Last week I fitted one of those clip on Puig wind deflectors. I found a cheap one shipped from Europe on amazon (about $50 cheaper than anywhere here) and took a chance. It eventually arrived and I put it on, adjusted it and have had a few rides now and it’s awesome. Things are a fair bit quieter in the helmet now. Great purchase.
I think those things look hideous so I never wanted to get near one. They are a perfect theft deterrent.

But I needed one for the current bike and swallowed my pride and bought one and it really does make a huge difference. I couldn’t properly hear my music when riding because of so much wind noise, but now I can hear the music clearly. I’m sure that will pay dividends towards conserving my hearing too.

I think those things look hideous so I never wanted to get near one. They are a perfect theft deterrent.

But I needed one for the current bike and swallowed my pride and bought one and it really does make a huge difference. I couldn’t properly hear my music when riding because of so much wind noise, but now I can hear the music clearly. I’m sure that will pay dividends towards conserving my hearing too.

I’ve had a Madstadt screen before. This Puig thing looks a lot better than that. I can lower it and take it away from my line of sight easily if need be too. It’s pricey for a bit of lexan (or whatever it is) but the articulating brackets are really well done.

These days anything that helps my hearing is a “must buy”.

I’ve had a Madstadt screen before. This Puig thing looks a lot better than that. I can lower it and take it away from my line of sight easily if need be too. It’s pricey for a bit of lexan (or whatever it is) but the articulating brackets are really well done.

These days anything that helps my hearing is a “must buy”.
I think we have the same or similar one then - mine looks like this and is a Puig too:
1716595854039.png

Today was working on the old spitfire. Fabricated new bumper brackets, cut, bent and bead rolled a patch for a rusty trunk floor pan. Have to do the rear roll pan tomorrow… compound curves (yuck), going to be a lot of hammer, dolly and plannishing.

For the past few rides I’ve been testing out another cam system as I like to record my rides in case of any bozo drivers/insurance stuff. Occasionally if it’s a twisty stretch I’ll keep the clips for me. This isn’t new to many but it’s new to me in terms of the camera. It’s an INSTA 360X3 cam. As an insurance camera it’s superb. Instead of mounting multiple cams I get a 360 view recorded with one cam. Quality seems excellent. I have it mounted on the partly extended selfie stick behind me elevated about 3ft in the air from seat level so it’s above my helmet. It’s attached to the bike with a ram mount and ball with a common camera tripod screw on it. It’s rock solid and not too much sway at all from wind but the lower you get it the sturdier it is.

This beats any go-pro, Sena Cam or Garmin Virb I’ve ever used like this. I can’t see myself using anything else at this point it’s that good.

It was raining, so no riding today. How about some simple fabrication?

I'm just about out of room in the tool box, and if tools aren't easily accessible, I won't use 'em.

No space in the drawers for a set of allen wrenches. Some sets come with stands, mine did not. I have a pile of scrap materials in the corner of the garage, it drives my wife crazy. "Why do you need all this junk?" I found some useful sheet metal, I think it came from my old BBQ. Perfect!

The stand requires some careful thought to get the breaks just right and the holes lined up. I did the breaks in my bench vise. Riveted to the side of the box. Not perfect, but it serves the purpose. I was too lazy to paint it, but it needed something. I found a scrap of black vinyl and a racing sticker which fit perfectly.

PXL-20240526-001138241.jpg

PXL-20240526-001339122.jpg

I bought a really cheap set of pry bars from Princess Auto, the largest of which does not fit in the box. So, a simple bracket is needed to hang on the side. Again, more BBQ scraps.

PXL-20240526-001159331-MP.jpg

PXL-20240526-001415072.jpg

PXL-20240526-001429743.jpg

As with anything I fab, it's always exceedingly crude, but effective. Always fun and satisfying to spend time in the garage.

It was raining, so no riding today. How about some simple fabrication?

I'm just about out of room in the tool box, and if tools aren't easily accessible, I won't use 'em.

No space in the drawers for a set of allen wrenches. Some sets come with stands, mine did not. I have a pile of scrap materials in the corner of the garage, it drives my wife crazy. "Why do you need all this junk?" I found some useful sheet metal, I think it came from my old BBQ. Perfect!

The stand requires some careful thought to get the breaks just right and the holes lined up. I did the breaks in my bench vise. Riveted to the side of the box. Not perfect, but it serves the purpose. I was too lazy to paint it, but it needed something. I found a scrap of black vinyl and a racing sticker which fit perfectly.

PXL-20240526-001138241.jpg

PXL-20240526-001339122.jpg

I bought a really cheap set of pry bars from Princess Auto, the largest of which does not fit in the box. So, a simple bracket is needed to hang on the side. Again, more BBQ scraps.

PXL-20240526-001159331-MP.jpg

PXL-20240526-001415072.jpg

PXL-20240526-001429743.jpg

As with anything I fab, it's always exceedingly crude, but effective. Always fun and satisfying to spend time in the garage.
Nice work on the rack.

I have a similar rack, instead of rivets, I set in some inexpensive magnets I picked up at PA. Sticks to my box, my car, motorcycle lift…

I love magnets.

For the past few rides I’ve been testing out another cam system as I like to record my rides in case of any bozo drivers/insurance stuff. Occasionally if it’s a twisty stretch I’ll keep the clips for me. This isn’t new to many but it’s new to me in terms of the camera. It’s an INSTA 360X3 cam. As an insurance camera it’s superb. Instead of mounting multiple cams I get a 360 view recorded with one cam. Quality seems excellent. I have it mounted on the partly extended selfie stick behind me elevated about 3ft in the air from seat level so it’s above my helmet. It’s attached to the bike with a ram mount and ball with a common camera tripod screw on it. It’s rock solid and not too much sway at all from wind but the lower you get it the sturdier it is.

This beats any go-pro, Sena Cam or Garmin Virb I’ve ever used like this. I can’t see myself using anything else at this point it’s that good.
A rider recently lost one near barrie. Not sure if mount broke or if it fell off. Being behind the rider, it can be a long time before you notice it's gone. You may want to firmly attach an airtag to the camera.

Back
Top Bottom