What did you do in your garage today..? | Page 26 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do in your garage today..?

WD40 and a hair dryer will remove all those stupid stickers on the swing arm.
i find those stickers are quite useful.. tire pressure/chain adjustment
F%^K…need to learn to quit while I’m ahead.
Was trying to adjust the shifter and pretty sure I stripped this bolt….frak. It’s on good and tight and I won’t take it off now as it probably won’t go back on. I’ll just order a replacement.

View attachment 50900
doesnt look that bad, try 6 point socket / wrench

i find those stickers are quite useful.. tire pressure/chain adjustment
I find they ruin the look of a nice bike with info you can find in the owners manual. And let's face it you only need to read that info once and you're good.
When I got my FZ6 I removed EVERY sticker including the VIN (only the triple tuning forks that were clear coated on the tank stayed). The last thing I need is a sticker on my tank with Yamaha telling me to wear a helmet, eat a beaver and save a tree.

They used to put the tire/chain info under the seat, dunno why it has to be on the swingarm

I find they ruin the look of a nice bike with info you can find in the owners manual. And let's face it you only need to read that info once and you're good.
When I got my FZ6 I removed EVERY sticker including the VIN (only the triple tuning forks that were clear coated on the tank stayed). The last thing I need is a sticker on my tank with Yamaha telling me to wear a helmet, eat a beaver and save a tree.
Honestly I was sure you were mocking me for something that I missed that should be on those stickers...

@rakkaus I can't tighten it anymore but I won't take it out until I have a replacement bolt. Guess I'm looking for a 6x20 flange bolt tomorrow. Hopefully the inner threads aren't damaged.

Was trying to adjust the shifter and pretty sure I stripped this bolt….frak. It’s on good and tight and I won’t take it off now as it probably won’t go back on. I’ll just order a replacement.

View attachment 50900

It's somewhat rare to strip a bolt. Much more common is to strip the internal threads on the splined end of the shifter. Consider yourself fortunate.

It's somewhat rare to strip a bolt. Much more common is to strip the internal threads on the splined end of the shifter. Consider yourself fortunate.
Well let’s not get ahead of ourselves…I need to take the bolt off still and may be in for a surprise.

Honestly I was sure you were mocking me for something that I missed that should be on those stickers...

@rakkaus I can't tighten it anymore but I won't take it out until I have a replacement bolt. Guess I'm looking for a 6x20 flange bolt tomorrow. Hopefully the inner threads aren't damaged.
u cant even turn the bolt??? it's possible that the bolt didnt start on the bottom half yet and end up pushing it apart, maybe

Well let’s not get ahead of ourselves…I need to take the bolt off still and may be in for a surprise.
I would guess you focked the shifter not the bolt and it will be totally fooked if you try and remove the bolt is there room for a locknut on the other side?

Sent using a thumb maybe 2

View attachment 50900
On second thought why is it only halfway down it should sit in a groove on the shaft it either isn't in the groove or is cross threaded in the bottom part. Take the bolt out remove the shifter and put the bolt in from the other side that should clean up the thread unless you have a tap. Then put it together it should go with very little force until the head makes contact.

On second thought why is it only halfway down it should sit in a groove on the shaft it either isn't in the groove or is cross threaded in the bottom part. Take the bolt out remove the shifter and put the bolt in from the other side that should clean up the thread unless you have a tap. Then put it together it should go with very little force until the head makes contact.

If you're coming up to the cottage, I have thread restorers you can use. Push metal back into place instead of cutting it out with a tap.

If you're coming up to the cottage, I have thread restorers you can use. Push metal back into place instead of cutting it out with a tap.
Planning on it this weekend and will touch base.

Looks like I’m an idiot. Will take it apart tomorrow if I find a replacement bolt as I don’t want to take it apart for kicks.

Just weird it would go in a certain position but not in another. Thought it was adjustable. Or I just didn’t have it bang on.

Planning on it this weekend and will touch base.

Looks like I’m an idiot. Will take it apart tomorrow if I find a replacement bolt as I don’t want to take it apart for kicks.
Zoom in the photo, you can see some loose chunks inside the shifter split - not sure if the shifter is messed up or the threads? Try to find replacement bolt size (threads and length) from the parts diagram. What did you use on the bolt - channellocks or pliers? :)

And I’m fooked….found the M6x20 bolt.

Removed the stuck bolt.

2FC7144E-08FA-48C6-BF11-D5047113E9A5.jpeg
Put in a new bolt….and the head snapped off 3/4 of the way in. Mothereffer…..

214CCDC8-0EE6-479B-AB47-E1D453B38B6B.jpeg

Pretty sure I can’t ride like this….or can I?

Removed the stuck bolt.

View attachment 50908

View attachment 50909

Probably not a good idea to ride that, there is no clamping on the shifter.

Getting it off might be tricky.

Tip: when you remove a bolt and notice the threads are buggered, it’s a good idea to clean up the threads using a tap, or thread restorer. If it’s not a blind hole, running a new bolt in from tha opposite end will also clean up threads.

Easy fix is pick up a shifter and bolt if you can get it. Harder part is getting that off you will need to cut it a hackzall would be good or a body saw. Cut the aluminum in 2 places.

Easy fix is pick up a shifter and bolt if you can get it. Harder part is getting that off you will need to cut it a hackzall would be good or a body saw. Cut the aluminum in 2 places.

Yup. I'll be ordering the part today.

MOTHEREFFER...such an idiot.

Now looking over the photos I see what I did wrong. I took photos BEFORE I removed the bolt just for this reason. The clamp is around the OUTER edge of the spline...where it's a smaller diameter....

@Mad Mike thanks...was hoping someone would say 'ya you're good...that'll hold'...

EDIT: Anyone know if Honda Powersports still sells parts? As I recall their sales division is done and gone. I'll call a few shops today as I have the day off tomorrow and may still be able to go on @shanekingsley's ride on Saturday.

Removed the stuck bolt.

View attachment 50908

View attachment 50909

I wouldnt ride extensively as the splines will wear. Shouldnt come off as piece of bolt will be in groove (I assume the x has the bolt groove?). Add a pipe clamp to end of shaft as extra security. No bolt groove would mean I'm out, way too likely to lose it on the road.

Parts ordered. Now just to pull that mofo off.

F3588442-3728-4F74-9486-7B985E06396F.jpegI think this should work so I’ll grab it today.

784B6CB3-68CC-4F14-A5A3-082C94E66549.jpeg
If it comes in tomorrow I’m good for the weekend.

Parts ordered. Now just to pull that mofo off.

View attachment 50911I think this should work so I’ll grab it today.

View attachment 50910
If it comes in tomorrow I’m good for the weekend.
FWIW, I dont like that style of hack saw. I just hand hold a blade or use a mini hacksaw. Mini hacksaw are great for bolts too.

51Sb7zzo1LS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom