What did you do in your garage today..? | Page 70 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do in your garage today..?

Mounted a new, and properly British, rear tire on the Thruxton.

IMG-20220514-164230348-1.jpg
*Tyre

Just buttoned up a new oil pan on the RAM.

Should have sent this one to the shop - took 5 hours so far and I still have to raise the diff.

Mounted a new, and properly British, rear tire on the Thruxton.

IMG-20220514-164230348-1.jpg
Love the Thruxton. Buddy had one and loved it but said it was stupidly uncomfortable over longer distances.

Is it my imagination or is the centre light below the plate offset from the tire?

It runs. (not well but...)

(this would be better if the video had shown up)

Last edited:
Love the Thruxton. Buddy had one and loved it but said it was stupidly uncomfortable over longer distances.

Is it my imagination or is the centre light below the plate offset from the tire?

I've done plenty of long distance on the Thruxton. Not the least bit uncomfortable, and I'm old! I get a bit sore in the seat, but by that time I'm out of fuel anyway.

Early air cooled Thruxtons had clip on bars from the factory; definitely a lower reach. Perhaps that's what your buddy had? Around 2010 or so, the factory switched to a tubular bar on short risers. Much more comfortable, for me at least.

IMG-20220515-130801511.jpg

As for the annoying reflector, no, it's not your imagination. It never wants to sit in the center. Perhaps I should bin it.

Oil changes, snowblowers x3, lawnmower
Bicycle tune up x 4
Assembled an outdoor bench. auction find, originally from wayfair, complete trash, wayfair sold it as aluminum but it is obviously steel. Ok for the price I paid, wayfair wanted many hundreds which is a complete ripoff.

Oil changes, snowblowers x3, lawnmower
Bicycle tune up x 4
Assembled an outdoor bench. auction find, originally from wayfair, complete trash, wayfair sold it as aluminum but it is obviously steel. Ok for the price I paid, wayfair wanted many hundreds which is a complete ripoff.
Do you have a oil sucker makes all the difference on small engines just stick the straw down the dipstick suck out the old and dump in fresh.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Do you have a oil sucker makes all the difference on small engines just stick the straw down the dipstick suck out the old and dump in fresh.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
It's on the list, dont have one yet. Two snowblowers have a drain plug. A piece of paper as a chute and very little mess. One snowblower and the lawnmower are dump out the top and would e easier to suck. Car has a plastic disposal drain plug. Suck every other time so you need less plugs. Could probably suck everytime but it's good to look for chunks.

I've done plenty of long distance on the Thruxton. Not the least bit uncomfortable, and I'm old! I get a bit sore in the seat, but by that time I'm out of fuel anyway.

Early air cooled Thruxtons had clip on bars from the factory; definitely a lower reach. Perhaps that's what your buddy had? Around 2010 or so, the factory switched to a tubular bar on short risers. Much more comfortable, for me at least.

IMG-20220515-130801511.jpg

As for the annoying reflector, no, it's not your imagination. It never wants to sit in the center. Perhaps I should bin it.
Nice! I love the look of them. Beautiful bikes.

CE972A67-9734-43FC-9E4E-B305D7EFD36C.jpeg
Since my mechanic didn’t want to rebalance the tires that he just installed on the BMW when I said there was an imbalance in them I bought a cheap static balancer and some weights and did it myself. Thing is, he didn’t even take off the old weights and once I took his and those off it was perfectly balanced. Road test and all good now. Pity when a mechanics pride gets in the way. I think I’ll start doing my own tire changes from now on.
Did my dirtbikes front tire as well as it shakes like a bugger at high speed.

Pity when a mechanics pride gets in the way. I think I’ll start doing my own tire changes from now on.

If you have the space (nice garage BTW), some basic tools, a shop manual, good, bike specific, forum support and the inclination I think most people can handle virtually all of the routine maintenance issues with their bikes vs. dealing with dealerships where often you come away feeling burnt or dissatisfied in some way.

In my limited experience there are often dealer challenges with proactive communication about the work to be done, or not done, and the cost of same, a lack of non defensive or non aggressive problem resolution and an absence of basic polite customer service as compared with the car dealerships I've work with over the last 45 - 50 years. I've also noticed that some bike dealers have more than their fair share of smart ass squids working in the shop area and I have no time for them either. I'm sure there are exceptions to my experiences, but for me it is what it is.

Replaced tubes and tires on the road bike. Cheapo Schwinn but I like it.

2D639CF8-8578-41F6-AAD2-DE88759BFAEB.jpeg

Although this valve is a real pain in the ***…had I known it came with this I would’ve bought other tubes.

23B539D1-4C22-4AA4-AFD3-BF5751B41B30.jpeg

I do have the adapter. Just a pain in the *** to pump. Might be a garbage pump.

View attachment 55019
Since my mechanic didn’t want to rebalance the tires that he just installed on the BMW when I said there was an imbalance in them I bought a cheap static balancer and some weights and did it myself. Thing is, he didn’t even take off the old weights and once I took his and those off it was perfectly balanced. Road test and all good now. Pity when a mechanics pride gets in the way. I think I’ll start doing my own tire changes from now on.
Did my dirtbikes front tire as well as it shakes like a bugger at high speed.
Noticed a KLR down at Dover on Friday that had about 6 inches of weights on each side of the spokes. Maybe your guy did that bike as well.

Back
Top Bottom