What did you do in your garage today..? | Page 166 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do in your garage today..?

So to start the season off, the DRZ after sitting on a trickle charger all winter would not start. So off to GP to get a new battery. Then once I got the battery installed, the DRZ would not run with any throttle at all and only at full choke. I did put stabil in the gas but I guess not enough or didn't run it long enough to get it into the carb last fall. Pulled the carb apart over the last few days and found two jets/passages clogged, but the rest of the carb inside was essentially spotless and looked brand new. I was expecting a lot worse but oh well.

Last night I got the carb in and set the gas tank on it, and it started right up and idled with no choke! I've never had good experiences with taking apart carbs so that was a win in my book. Gotta put the rest of the bike back together over the weekend but happy to have it back to 100% again.

ZJXG4by.jpeg

IYS08VI.jpeg

IMG_2250.jpegIMG_2249.jpegIMG_2248.jpeg
Reassembled the scoot after painting the plastics over winter (mint 10ft paint job if I do say so) still need to find a rear brake cable and a fender, and lower it

Parts came for the VFR carbs so those got stripped and reassembled (had to remove the plenum to get to the fuel line O-rings) the carbs came off the bike surprisingly easy so they’ve been removed at least once before. Still need to put back on the bike and sync

And dug the CR125 out and went through and greased swing arm and linkage bolts. Also went through the carb cause why not at that point. I have new plastics and graphics that still have to go on but that can wait

The CR250 is next, rear master needs a rebuild and a new clutch cable. Also have to go through the carb on that plus grease everything while I’m in there

At some point I’ll actually ride one of these goddamn things

Blew the dust of the FJR, changed its battery. Last battery I put in her was 2014.

Cleaned up the V, still on the original OE battery from 2016.

The DRBig wouldn’t start. Has a Wolftech (Royal house brand) bought in Sep 23. Battery gas a bad cell, shows 10.2v

None have ever seen a tender or been removed, just started one a month.

I put my "summers" on near the end of January for a long road trip. We didn't have enough winter after I got back to bother switching again.
Won't be swapping mine for another week or two. It takes a while for the temp to stay above 7c. It snowed last week, which caused lots of people to end up in the ditch, and has been known to snow in May. :(

I picked up a pair of wheel ramps on sale at CT to fix loose bits on the kid's cars; maybe do oil changes.

Blew the dust of the FJR, changed its battery. Last battery I put in her was 2014.

Cleaned up the V, still on the original OE battery from 2016.

The DRBig wouldn’t start. Has a Wolftech (Royal house brand) bought in Sep 23. Battery gas a bad cell, shows 10.2v

None have ever seen a tender or been removed, just started one a month.
That's awesome life for bike batteries

That's awesome life for bike batteries
I’m careful to not let them fully discharge or freeze. i anlmost always get 5+ years out of Yuasa or Motomaster premium power sport batteries on the fi bikes. Never trickle, always start once a month and charge for 15 min on the bike.

I’m careful to not let them fully discharge or freeze. i anlmost always get 5+ years out of Yuasa or Motomaster premium power sport batteries on the fi bikes. Never trickle, always start once a month and charge for 15 min on the bike.
Do you have a hearted garage, or do you remove the batteries and bring them inside, then reinstall them every month?

I have the same results as M Mike and have mine on one of those CdnTire trickle chargers. Never start them in winter. I put the charger on after I get back from a ride too. I have AGM battery from SaskBattery since 2016. I know I shouldn’t have said that and better order one. Is it luck? Who knows.

Unheated garage

Do you have a hearted garage, or do you remove the batteries and bring them inside, then reinstall them every month?
I have heat in my garage, but it’s only heated about 1 day a week, no heat unless I’m working in there. Batteries don’t leave the bikes.

Went to start the bike up and maybe go for a quick boot around the neighbourhood.

Tick tick tick tick tick….brand new battery down to 11.55V 🤬 (bike says 11).

A few attempts to bump start it with no luck. Took the battery out, and of course the battery bolt nut falls down somewhere.

FML.

Battery on trickle now.

Went to start the bike up and maybe go for a quick boot around the neighbourhood.

A few attempts to bump start it with no luck. Took the battery out, and of course the battery bolt nut falls down somewhere.

FML.

Battery on trickle now.
Might want to pull up that Battery recommendation thread...

On another note. I have some spare battery bolts/nuts. I will be passing by your area tomorrow, I can drop it off.

Might want to pull up that Battery recommendation thread...

On another note. I have some spare battery bolts/nuts. I will be passing by your area tomorrow, I can drop it off.
If you’re in the area then sure! Haven’t ordered from Amazon yet. Just need 1.

Shoot me a pm with time but I’m at the office tomorrow.

FML.

Battery on trickle now.
20 minutes on a 6a charger, or a couple hours on a 2a charger should get you back in the game, no need to ever remove a battery unless you plan to change it.

If your battery is not easy access, add a $5 sae pigtail connector.

FML.

Battery on trickle now.
Bolt is M6-1-12mm. Any bolt store (Brafasco, Bolts+, Fastenall, HomeDepot).

20 minutes on a 6a charger, or a couple hours on a 2a charger should get you back in the game, no need to ever remove a battery unless you plan to change it.

If your battery is not easy access, add a $5 sae pigtail connector.
Good call. I’ll order those.

I’m convinced the bike felt this was to confirm it’s ready for sale…it’s stubborn.

Good call. I’ll order those.

I’m convinced the bike felt this was to confirm it’s ready for sale…it’s stubborn.
Remember Eurobikes are like Eurobabes… high maintenance.

FML.

Battery on trickle now.
I'm so OCD, I would not be able to leave until I FOUND that bolt.

Back
Top Bottom