What did you do in your garage today..? | Page 165 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do in your garage today..?

Before my SUV goes up for sale in a few weeks I decided to give it one last oil change. Nice to get a new truck but can be a bit sad to see one go that you’ve had so many good memories in over 15yrs.
I always get sad when I sell a car I’ve had a while. But then that goes away pretty quick once I take possession of my new ride.

We become attached to objects and gain sentimental value to them.

Each bike I sell I get sad…for a few hours until that void is filled with something else.

View attachment 66867View attachment 66868View attachment 66869View attachment 66870
Vortex rear sets and healtech quick shifter installed, every time I have to access the coils/plugs on this bike I contemplate a naked. Got to use my fancy safety wire tool for the first time as well on the toe peg pins
Iridium for plugs means you rarely have to change them. After owning a couple naked's now I can confidently say the annoyance of removing fairings once in a while is far outweighed by how much easier a bike with fairings is to clean.

Iridium for plugs means you rarely have to change them. After owning a couple naked's now I can confidently say the annoyance of removing fairings once in a while is far outweighed by how much easier a bike with fairings is to clean.
It’s the radiator removal that’s the worst part, and I screwed up and did the quick shift after I did plug’s earlier this year

Anyone with a 1st Gen KLR knows what a pain the it is to get the short bolts started in the deep holes on the rear of the side covers. Add racks to block the access and it's a real pita. Please excuse the welding I need a better grinder....
They work great - no tool required but they can be snugged using the allen key I still need for the front.
IMG_1102.JPGIMG_1100.JPGIMG_1122.JPG

Here's what I did in my garage on this beautiful Easter Sunday.
IMG_0312.jpeg
I was talking to my neighbour at our cottage and heard a pop/boom. I thought it was either someone shooting a gun or lighting off a firecracker and didn't see anything. Then I heard loud crackling and turned around and notice some boards against our garage on fire as well as our side door. Grabbed a fire extinguisher and my neighbour grabbed his, but they weren't good for more than a few squirts. Fortunately my neighbour and his daughter's boyfriend started helping me pull the 3 dirt bikes out of the back of our garage. They also helped me pull my SkiDoos far enough away from the garage to keep them from going up.

If I hadn't been rearranging my garage earlier, the bikes would have been trapped behind all sorts of garden tools etc. And if I hadn't found the keys for my road bike a few hours earlier after looking for it for two days straight, and hadn't decided to take my road bike out for a ride maybe 45 minutes prior, it would have been stuck there too.

I had a bunch of my bike tools in the garage, as well as all the plastics for an 87 CBR600F I was working on. I had *all* the parts except for the two maintenance panels, and knowing how hard they were to find (I had been trying for 2 years now), I know those plastics were pretty hard to come by. That project is done.

By the time this picture was taken, we were waiting for the fire department to show up. It turned out that it was a three alarm fire.

Fortunately, the FDs got there soon enough that the fire didn't spread to our main or back cottage, nor to any of our neighbours' properties.

View attachment 66911
I was talking to my neighbour at our cottage and heard a pop/boom. I thought it was either someone shooting a gun or lighting off a firecracker and didn't see anything. Then I heard loud crackling and turned around and notice some boards against our garage on fire as well as our side door. Grabbed a fire extinguisher and my neighbour grabbed his, but they weren't good for more than a few squirts. Fortunately my neighbour and his daughter's boyfriend started helping me pull the 3 dirt bikes out of the back of our garage. They also helped me pull my SkiDoos far enough away from the garage to keep them from going up.

If I hadn't been rearranging my garage earlier, the bikes would have been trapped behind all sorts of garden tools etc. And if I hadn't found the keys for my road bike a few hours earlier after looking for it for two days straight, and hadn't decided to take my road bike out for a ride maybe 45 minutes prior, it would have been stuck there too.

I had a bunch of my bike tools in the garage, as well as all the plastics for an 87 CBR600F I was working on. I had *all* the parts except for the two maintenance panels, and knowing how hard they were to find (I had been trying for 2 years now), I know those plastics were pretty hard to come by. That project is done.

By the time this picture was taken, we were waiting for the fire department to show up. It turned out that it was a three alarm fire.

Fortunately, the FDs got there soon enough that the fire didn't spread to our main or back cottage, nor to any of our neighbours' properties.
Tragic NB. Sorry to hear.

Noooo I’m so sorry that happened.
Amazing that you were able to save some items. Did I read that right… the fire started outside the garage and moved inside?
We're really not sure where or how the fire started. What I noticed first were the boards for our dock that outside of the garage that were on fire. FD asked if there was electricity in the garage (there is) and whether I had any battery tenders in there (I did). Are battery tenders a common fire hazard?

Saved our three dirt bikes and my motorcycle, but lost a ton. Lawnmower, push weed-whacker, 2 weed whackers, my big Stihl 880, bunch of other chain saws I was working on, lathe, gas pressure washer, snow blower, EZ-UP canopy, table saw, etc. etc. Plus a piece of wood I pulled from the woods near where my Dad is buried that had a really cool shape to it that I planned to do *something* with.

I was seriously looking at buying a Ducati. Now I have nowhere to park it !!

View attachment 66911

Holy hell. Glad you are okay. Bikes can be replaced. People can't.

Oh wow.
Glad no one got hurt.
I'm guessing it could have been a lot worse if you were not near by.

Will they "investigate" what caused it?

I was going to post that I got the heat working in my garage. After the post above I'm glad that my heat is somewhat limited....

On Saturday spent a lot of time in the garage. Sharpened and waxed six sets of skiis and three snowboards. Two more sets of skiis to go.

Oh wow.
Glad no one got hurt.
I'm guessing it could have been a lot worse if you were not near by.

Will they "investigate" what caused it?
I’m not sure. One of my neighbours is a retired fire fighter and he suggested there wouldn’t be much evidence. I don’t know if it’s worth much time for them to be honest. Building is burnt down to the cinder blocks and the whole concrete pad is covered with ash and molten stuff, and I think arson is not something they’re thinking about.

I’m not sure. One of my neighbours is a retired fire fighter and he suggested there wouldn’t be much evidence. I don’t know if it’s worth much time for them to be honest. Building is burnt down to the cinder blocks and the whole concrete pad is covered with ash and molten stuff, and I think arson is not something they’re thinking about.
I doubt they will bother to investigate as you said, there is nothing obviously suspicious and nobody got hurt. That being said, you may get lucky and be able to see something in the burn patterns to give you an idea (eg. did it start near the battery tenders). Maybe not though as it is completely down and firefighters churn up debris to ensure there are minimal trapped embers. I'd ask fire fighter neighbour to have a look before I started cleanup.

I doubt they will bother to investigate as you said, there is nothing obviously suspicious and nobody got hurt. That being said, you may get lucky and be able to see something in the burn patterns to give you an idea (eg. did it start near the battery tenders). Maybe not though as it is completely down and firefighters churn up debris to ensure there are minimal trapped embers. I'd ask fire fighter neighbour to have a look before I started cleanup.
Yeah, I'm not going to touch anything until the insurance company has had a chance to send someone out to look if they want and the FD has issued their report. The FD recorded a verbal statement from me ("my version of what happened", they began). There's really nothing to clean up now that can't wait. Anything that is still there, is trash. I did walk around and recorded some video of what I could see afterwards, trying to make verbal notes of objects I could identify that were visible. I know FD also did their own recordings.

I was talking to someone afterwards who is training to be a firefighter and he talked about burn patterns, but that discussion was mostly about what you could see on walls. Everything is gone above the cinder blocks so nothing to see there. Maybe on the ground but there's tons of debris there. Maybe some can come up. It would be nice to know what happened.

I'm thinking maybe the first pop I heard was something in the garage shorting out. I don't know - what would a tender shorting out sound like?

It's fascinating to see what fire does to things. I had a bunch of nice composite hockey sticks, afterwards they were just rolls of tape (of composite fibre?) that were still sticking straight up and still held their corners.

Working on a custom made bracket for a Givi S250 Tool Box to work with my Givi Racks.

As per Givi this tool box is not compatible with my bike but I am stubborn and I will make it work.

Stay tuned for the final product.

1712022179973.png

Speedometer has been somewhat mysterious and vague on my TL1000S for a while. I was willfully ignoring it because I'm getting really annoyed with finding unobtanium fiddly bits that are damaged/broken, but I finally looked today.

Bolt holding on the sensor rotor was loose. Nothing damaged as far as I can tell, even... beautiful

Back
Top Bottom