What did you do in your garage today..? | Page 164 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do in your garage today..?

Finally dove in and started my long awaited valve check on my wr250x. Bought at 26,000km. Currently around 40,000km. Mostly single track, some street riding on the SM setup.

Intake +.005"

Exhaust +.010"

Still in spec. This bike is an absolute tank.

I change the oil around 4,000-5,000km.

I try and keep the air filter cleaned and oiled at regular intervals, more in dusty conditions.

Replaced bearings as needed.

These bikes are indestructible.
54d0b868879f0623522fb64d8b321392.jpg
1e2a9bf41a60058761d719d2c7d8a9e9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

those 29mm smothbores are a really nice find. back in the 80's I ran 4 of those carbs on my 750F along with velocity stacks and modified cbx pistons - for an 822 cc wanna be sbk engine. I still like carbed bikes..
Rare indeed but even rarer are the rubber manifolds from carb to head. Odd spacing and angles. I am hoping to use these carbs for the first time this year on my '79 but i can't seem to locate the manifolds. :unsure: In the stash someplace.

Pulled the rear wheel because i wanted to check the wheel/driveshaft splines for factory grease and winter corrosion. Looks good, so i might as well put the spare wheel on with a more roundish tire. I'll give the rear caliper and parking brake a good clean too.
20240318_202703.jpg

Rare indeed but even rarer are the rubber manifolds from carb to head. Odd spacing and angles. I am hoping to use these carbs for the first time this year on my '79 but i can't seem to locate the manifolds. :unsure: In the stash someplace.
Some people have had luck 3d printing unobtanium parts like that. May not hold up for a hundred thousand miles but they can work for a while.

My latest project is getting closer to riding. Started out with a 1974 cb750 that we dug out of a field. Couldn’t even see the bike until we cleaned out the weeds.

Attachments

• IMG_0918-compressed.png
    IMG_0918-compressed.png
    682.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0906-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_0906-compressed.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0913.jpeg
    IMG_0913.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1787.jpeg
    IMG_1787.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1792.jpeg
    IMG_1792.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1841.jpeg
    IMG_1841.jpeg
    75.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1888.jpeg
    IMG_1888.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1924.jpeg
    IMG_1924.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 33
My latest project is getting closer to riding. Started out with a 1974 cb750 that we dug out of a field. Couldn’t even see the bike until we cleaned out the weeds.
Always nice to find that people have stored the motor outside with the tappet covers off....you know for ventilation.
Hey what's the deal with turnbuckles - is that to split the cases?

Always nice to find that people have stored the motor outside with the tappet covers off....you know for ventilation.
Hey what's the deal with turnbuckles - is that to split the cases?
I don’t think laying in a field under 8 feet of weeds is storage!
The turnbuckles split the cases without having to use any wedges that damage the mating surfaces.

My stock headlights on the EXC suck. Story here:

Shortly after this, I went out and bought a Baja Designs XL80 LED headlight throwing a whopping 9000 lumens.

And promptly regretted it as I was blinding oncoming traffic and they weren't very happy with me, judging by all the high-beam lashings I took on the streets.

cow-XL.jpg

Works reeeeeally well on the trails though...

I jury rigged an on-off switch and tried to find a dimming solution. Apparently, you need some kind of electronic solution to dim LEDs, they don't work on an analog rheostat.

Enter the Skene IQ-275.

20240321_142934-X2.jpg

The IQ-275 is supposed to be plug and pray. Prayers not answered, it didn't work. I got frustrated and left it for a week like this above.

My buddy came over with his multimeter and we tried to trouble shoot the device.

20240321_142957-X2.jpg

Pored over the wiring diagram and realized they cross-wired the power wires into one of the plastic connectors.

Dumb.

A quick Snip-Snip-Solder-Solder and the lights work. Very cool device, you can program the intensity in intervals of 10%. I also bought a three position switch to replace the lo-high beam stocker on the KTM, so I programmed the Skene for:

Low -> Medium -> DEATH STAR

That way, I can still nuke wildlife that runs out in front of me on the trails...

I've only had this bike for three seasons, but it's my go-to ride, so my grips are tattered and worn to hell.

Got some Pro Taper Pillow Top grips. Worked on the clutch side first:

20240321_172854-X2.jpg

Took the stock rubber grips off. Fooking hell, they used a lot of glue. I spent half an hour with an X-acto knife cleaning off the plastic tube. Then I couldn't get the new grip on because it was too tight. My buddy txted me and told me to try hot water and soap. Kinda worked, but I had to use A LOT of elbow grease.

Tired myself out.

Thought about leaving the throttle grip as is, call it an evening and just crawl into bed.

Persevered and cut the original throttle grip off, spent another half-hour cleaning the glue and residual rubber off.

But, smart-guy that I am, tried something new:

20240321_203715-X2.jpg

Hey good lookin', what's cookin'?

Holy hell, the F-n thing was so malleable, it just slid on like a sled on snot!!!!

Cool.

Wife found out I used her pots to heat up the grip.

So now I'm not allowed in the kitchen any more.

Overall, I see this as a win-win....

Last edited:
That’s so unusual for Skene. I’ve had that for so many trouble free years for my aux LEDs when I switched back to halogens I couldn’t get it to work and I emailed them and they responded right away and everything worked, turns out you have to count the 10% increments as halogens are slower to respond.
Don’t you love deploying the rapid high beam flashers.

That’s so unusual for Skene. I’ve had that for so many trouble free years for my aux LEDs when I switched back to halogens I couldn’t get it to work and I emailed them and they responded right away and everything worked, turns out you have to count the 10% increments as halogens are slower to respond.

Yeah, it was just a manufacturing defect. The connectors seemed to be done by hand so they messed this one up.

I could have returned it and got a new one, but my buddy is good with that stuff and really wanted to fix it himself.

Changed oil in wife’s car and while that was draining, I changed out the clutch and front brake fluids. Didn’t thin it was that bad but compared to new is looked a bit cloudy. Some grey smears near bottom of reservoirs.
Those speed bleeders make it a breeze.

IMG_4518.jpegIMG_4519.jpeg

Before my SUV goes up for sale in a few weeks I decided to give it one last oil change. Nice to get a new truck but can be a bit sad to see one go that you’ve had so many good memories in over 15yrs.

Back
Top Bottom